Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards GS 1st Outing - Portmarnock Links - 22nd February 2020 - 11am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Big thanks to the committee and the organising of today.

My first day out on a links course and by jaysus for that 15 minute stretch of rain I questioned why I didn't take up snooker instead of golf.

Really enjoyed it and the lads i was out with. Looking forward to next day already

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

willabur wrote: »
    You came third in the end kiith - could have easily won it today had you avoided one or two of those scratches. For an 18 handicapper you really can stripe that driver 👌👌

Ah nice, thought i would have just missed out. Curragh up next, so my local knowledge should help me do even better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Thoroughly enjoyed the round course and meeting new people which is one of the main reasons why i enjoy our sport. i love telling other golfers ah sure i am in a random society where lads that you do not know from all over the country arrange to meet up and have a game. Magic 44 out today would not be surprised if we got more at the curra. Best weekend this year, played a great links today, Rovers win 6 nil and and have banked enough brownie points to get out in the morning, Cheshire cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Went very well, but not sure you would want more than 44 ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Don’t think there was any problems with pace today and 44 out.

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »

not actually about pace .

About people there all day
    Captain / committee there all day and before
    people not able to wait for all groups to come in

just, my own view

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

not actually about pace .

About people there all day
    Captain / committee there all day and before
    people not able to wait for all groups to come in

just, my own view

True.
    Few of us gave a hand today and it all helps. (Sorry if I messed up the accounts space!)

Great to see so many new and regular faces today. My internet is dodge here tonight so I’ll do up my mini review when it gets sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Sounds like it was a great start to the new year with the Boards Golf Society.....

Welcome to all the new members...you have made a good decision to join.

Playing a links was probably the only option given the level of rainfall around the country.

Looking forward to seeing the full results being published for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

Really enjoy today! Despite playing terribly. lol

Big shout out to Ballyk, Slave1 and Athlone99 for their patience and guidance.

Great playing with you lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

charlieIRL wrote: »

Was 43 in the end. We had one no show.
    Someone else missed their tee time, luckily there was someone available to swap.
    Lads, this is not fair on the captain and organisers, it doesn’t take much to check your tee time or post an update if you can’t make it.
    Rant over.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    Was 43 in the end. We had one no show.
    Someone else missed their tee time, luckily there was someone available to swap.
    Lads, this is not fair on the captain and organisers, it doesn’t take much to check your tee time or post an update if you can’t make it.
    Rant over.

miss of tee time not most outrageous sin. Can happen to anyone.

No show is a ban, simple.

By the way the communication and warnings about the day were a massive contribution to the success.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

Good day out with Kingswood,Benny and doublecross. Had to rush home for my grandfathers 91st birthday hence the time of posting back..........!!
    I found the wind a test today questioning the club or just comitting to a shot really. Actually love a good few of the back 9 in portmarnock especially 8,15 and 18. Really well laid out holes.
    I went 1 worse than my score this time last year But it’s only February if that’s an excuse:) :)
    PP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Will do a proper post up later lads,but just to get the results up first

1st - Willabur - 34 points
    2nd - Ballyk - 33 points
    3rd - Kiith - 32 points

LD - OS_Head
    NTP - Spacecoyote

2s - Willabur, woodyg, doublecross, golfhead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Will do a proper post up later lads,but just to get the results up first

1st - Willabur - 34 points
    2nd - Ballyk - 33 points
    3rd - Kiith - 32 points

LD - OS_Head
    NTP - Spacecoyote

2s - Willabur, woodyg, doublecross, golfhead

Well done chaps, very surprised to see 4 2s given the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It started. Dry, calm mornings in castleknock with wind blowing in gusts. What a difference when I got to Portmarnock, the open seaside makes such a difference to the weather. Thankfully for me, the really heavy shower came down as I was getting my gear ready so I sat into the car for the worst of it. I took the opportunity to stick the wet gear on then and it never came off. We got a bit of rain when we were playing the 12th I think and it got really cold then. Other than that, I didn’t mind the wind and didn’t feel the cold at all being well wrapped up.

Have to say I was pleased with my game, a few silly mistakes, a few bad shots, and a few 3putts were the lowlights, mainly on the back 9. 16 points to the 8th and bladed the tee shot on 9 to leave me in enough trouble that I scratched. I had a pretty good solid driving day, missed maybe 2 fairways, didn’t loose a ball at all. Apologies again to the group in front on the 6th hole, I had 245 out and never thought I could get near green. I flushed it with 3 wood, I knew I did, but I couldn’t see the ball with the grey sky and it wasn’t till roadrunner said it was up on the green till I realised I nearly killed yas! Missed the tricky putt but a tap in bird was nice and the highlight of my round. After messing up the 9th, I hit a lovely approach into 10 and it was one of very few times the wind really caught hold of my ball and I ended up scrambling a point and 11 was playing really hard into the wind and I scratched that :(. Back 9 wasn’t so good till the last few where I had to up my game.
    You see our 4 ball also had 2 winter matchplay games going on. I was up against Charlie and while I had gotten it out to 3up, I knew he had shots coming in and was starting to play better so it was game on. I think there was only 1 in it playing 14 and Charlie had a shots on 16 and 18. I took 14 with a par where Charlie 3putted, 15 was halved in pars. I had to par 16 to match Charlie’s 5. So it was dormie 2 playing 17 and I hit an awful tee shot and left it well short, then airmailed the green with my second. 5 for me and 4 for Charlie, back to 1 playing 18 and Charlie hits a cracker of a tee shot. Roadrunner is on the beach with his, so I have to be careful with the wind, but again I flush it right out of the middle and I split the bunkers. Charlie struggles with his approach shots and I get green side in 2 to wrap it up.

Thanks to the guys for gathering the cards etc afterwards. Going through them can be time consuming. Can I just ask yis all to try and keep them as clear and as clean as you can please. Some were quite hard to decipher and even if you are not in the prizes we go through them all to calculate Ryder Jug points, so help appreciated. Also circle your 2’s please.

Thanks to space and golfgraffix for the organisation, great to play Portmarnock, but Benny must have forgotten to do his weather dancing this time around! As Space mentioned we only have 30 spots booked at the Curragh but we don’t expect numbers will get as high as Portmarnock again so I will get teamer announcements sent this week to try and gauge numbers to see if we need to request more tee times if available. So please accept or decline as soon as you can. I’ll be warm weather training and will miss the next 2 so see yis all in May.

Lads, these 2 headcovers were picked up by people in our groups on the way around.

If anyone owns them can they let me know & I can bring them along to the next outing you're at.

If there are no claims, they end up in a lost & found box

503618.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Great course as always, good decision to play from green tees, I would have needed to tee off from the green though. Great company wit WGC, Break80 and Iang87, pity I had to leave to prepare dinner and take care of the dog. Great front 9 of Break80, pity he had a lapse on index 1 and from that point on he struggled a lot

Can only blame my stupidity leaving my waterproofs in the boot, got completely drenched in the shower around 11.15 and froze from that point on.

Looking forward to my next outing that will be in April, pity I will miss the Curragh as I will be travelling.

Thanks space and the committee for the effort organising this great gig

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Great day yesterday, was perfect location for first outing of the year. I’m so excited to be getting going again, I kinda feel that it marks the start of the golfing year.

Big thank you to emmet and all involved in the organisation, it’s going to be a good year.

Played ok considering the conditions and was quietly pleased with score at the end. Timgolfer, Ballyman and Gerry were great company and a small side bet with Ballyman got us focused again for the last few holes.

Bring on the curragh, Benny get those hips going and get us some sunshine please, or I seem to recall from a what’s app post last year that Space has some fairly fancy moves of his own????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bit too cold for me on Saturday, never warmed the back/hands up until the shower afterwards!
    Had a target of beating my score from last year which I did by parring the last two, happy to par all the par 3's too, nice to have little things to aim for when you know your score will be just a statistic. A few stupid shots and pure rust around the greens killed me, putting was fine apart from a run from around 3-5 where the ball would just not stay still when putting so it was gamble putting.
    Great company as always and well glad we played off the greens.
    Thanks all and see you in Royal Curragh...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Great first day out as part of the society, really enjoyed it. Fair play to all who organised it and well done to all the winners. Nice relaxed game with the 3 lads I played with considering the windy conditions. Was pretty happy with my overall game, first 18 holes since October. I had 10 pars and 6 bogeys but a scratch on 15 and 17 done for me with regard to the prizes. Very happy with the 31 points all considered and lots of things to improve upon before the next outing. Having played the Curragh a lot of times I know the course will be enjoyed by all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

First game in 5 weeks. I started with a 3 wood to the fairway on the first. My first time in 5 rounds not searching the high stuff right of the tree. 21 points front 9. I felt this is the day and started thinking of the winners speech. Then of course the golfing gods decided to put me in my place. Hooked the index 1 right found it and proceeded to lose the second shot in high stuff. Another 2 blanks to struggle back with 11 points.
    Had a good round with my playing partners nice lads.
    Thanks to everyone for all the work that goes in to organising a big turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Weather was much better than I expected on the day and the golf much worse than I ever could have imagined. I didn't know you could top so many shots in one round. Space, Ross, and Lord Derpington were all great company as I cursed my way around the course.

Still great to get out (I suppose) and was fantastic that so many showed up and things ran nice and smoothly. Looking forward now to Curragh

Finally getting around to a post about the day. It was certainly a baptism of fire for me as Captain, and it took its toll on me, especially over the opening holes. There was one benefit to being out so late in the day...I was still sitting in the clubhouse when the heavy wintry shower came down.

A few little hiccups with people on tee-times (can everyone please make sure that they actually look at the timesheet on here before the next round and try make sure you're in the clubhouse at least 30 minutes before your tee time please?)

By the time I got everyone checked in & sorted the lads out in the pro-shop, I was late for my tee-time. Had a sprint over to the first tee, jumped up & proceeded to hit a rushed "pull draw" (not a hook :D). Managed to find it somehow, and proceed to do the exact same with my 2nd. Lost ball, and a scratch on the first!

It didn't get a lot better for me all day. Had my draw swing with me, but wasn't aiming far enough right to compensate for the strong cross-winds so missed a lot of fairways & greens on the left side. Hit a couple of fairway bunkers, and was so close to the face of them, I had to knock out sideways, which is an expensive shot. Found a lot of greenside bunkers too. Generally actually played very nice shots out of the greenside ones. Actually probably chipped better out of the bunkers than I did from an easy greenside lie. Struggled for pace on the greens all day, but didn't putt terribly overall. One real highlight from my golf was the nearest the pin win, a well struck 5-iron from 130 yards (that's a good 4 clubs extra for me). I didn't have a lot of competition though, with only one extra name on the board.

Had the company of one returning golfer, Pakman, and 2 new members for the year, Rossyd2005 & Lord Derpington. 3 absolute gents, and spirits were kept up despite the standard of golf & weather all day.

Pakman had a rough enough day (as did all 4 of us in the group to be honest), but definitely beats himself up too much. Has a fantastic turn. I wish I had half that amount of flexibility.

Rossyd2005 looks a very steady golfer. He got a few irons off the tee well out there, a nice low controlled draw. A few too many whiskeys the night before probably were his real undoing. The weather, on top of a hangover, pushed him over the edge.

I was amazed when I heard Lord Derpington's score on the front 9, as I thought he'd been scoring steadily. He hit a number of good long drives out there, and his short game looked pretty solid. But a few too many knocked down tee shots that found the heavy stuff took their toll. Has the making of a decent golfer, with a few more rounds under his belt.

Overall for me it was a challenging day on the course, but it was fantastic to see such a great turn-out, catching up with some old faces, and meeting plenty of new. Apologies if I missed anyone, as I did spend a bit of the morning running back and forth to the putting green. Thank you so much to the lads for picking up the slack with the check-ins & filling out cards. The committee are a great group of lads & really do make life a lot easier.

Looking forward to Royal Curragh in a months time. See you all there!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rossyd2005

Nice write up Space.It was an enjoyable round with yourself,Paul and Dan despite the poor golf played.
    It felt like i was unlucky with a lot of tee shots , finding bunkers after bouncing 30 yrds straight right or a six iron running about 60 yrds into a fairway bunker. But i wont dwell on it....

Your shot on the NTP hole was the highlight, the ball seemed to hover over the top of the flag before the wind pushed it back towards us and it finished on the green but left a long putt. It deserved to be closer but turns out it was the closest of 43 people so it proves how hard that hole was playing.

Looking forward to the Curragh now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Great fun round here. Needed a late tee time thanks for accommodating and thanks everyone else for keeping a good move on during tough conditions. Big fan of Portmarnock. Playing qualifying golf during feb is weird. Finished with 28pts, but the bigger story is that we were playing matches within the group. This kept it tense and challenging at all times. I closed out my match on 16 which was a great result as I was down earlier in the round. I haven't been playing much lately and my wedges performed poorly for me on the day. But driving was good and putting was okay. I was generally making the 4-6 footers which are a bit of a lottery in that wind.

Looking forward to the curragh. Great work to space and the society committee on a very successful first outing for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Very much enjoyed the first time out with the society this past weekend, Rossyd2005, Pakman and spacecoyote you were all a pleasure to play with.

Several firsts for me in the day out; first time playing links, first time on a golf course since September and first time meeting strangers from the internet!
    Certainly won't be my last time joining and it's given me the push to look at memberships to my local clubs since the day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Good to get the golfing year off and running! Great turn out as always for Portmarnock. Played with 2 regulars in A Post Punk & doublecross which was good to see the lads and catch up doublecross was his consistent self the game really comes easy to him! not jealous at all :rolleyes: Good to also play with Kingswood Rover a new member who joined last year which I never got to really talk to and another fine golfer! But good to see him return.

On my own game. I was happy, left a tonne of shots out there and got unlucky with the weather have been working on my strike over the winter and I can see the results starting to unfold with compressing the ball & taking small divot. I scratched the first cause of the weather as it poured down, struggled with club selection most the day as it was cross wind so I didn't get why I had to drop clubs but my numbers were all over the place. To rusty on links which I love. But my strikes were good, chipping was great, struggled with short stupid putts & rushed a few stupidly! yet pace and distance control was great. Went onto 14 thinking If I score 2's on the last 4 I'll hit 30 pts which was my aim. Parred 14 so up 1, then a 1 pointer on 15.. ok.. stood on the 16th and the heavens opened and the wind blow up could hardly stand over my tee shot! backed off 3 times then got frustrated as I was conscience of the lads waiting and sliced it miles off line never to be seen again :mad: and of course it stopped for the lads! so scratched. Head was gone then only had a 1 pointer on 17th.

But highlight came on 18th. I have played Portmacnock loads of times and yet I've never scored on 18th. I knocked my tee shot down, scuffed my second 3rd into fairway bunker hear we go I taught another scratch played out of bunker 115 yds to pin said to myself right lying on fairway up & down for a point but mainly to break the mental barrier of the hole! Hit a pure pw to pin high but about 25 feet away.. Said to myself I can make this and sank it straight into the centre of the cup!

Such Joy and satisfaction this crazy game brings! It was only for a point but was worth so much more mentally to me and turns out that point got me the win over Tiger and are side bet.. made it taste even sweeter :D

Its good to have the Boards back and up and running cant wait for The Curragh.

Have to commend everyone on pace of play especially for such high numbers must of been 1 of the best hopefully we can keep it up for year as it makes such a different especially to the Captain who is mainly out last!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I really like the testimonies after the round. My first round with the society and to be honest I was a bit embarrassed to win on my first spin out with you good folk.

First up the conditions were tough, really really tough. The wind and the rain is one thing but its the hour or two after you have been saturated when the chill sets into your bones when it really gets tough. I drove the ball pretty well all day, keeping the ball in play on most holes and avoiding disasters (2 scratches). I loved the course, second time playing it and I enjoyed it alot more this time - the closing stretch of holes are as good as anywhere. I have to say that they are as penal of bunkers as I have ever seen anywhere - so many of them you really only could chip out sideways, zero chance to advance the ball. Most of the time I just had the mentality to hit the fattest part of the fairway, get down around the greens on my approaches and try to make par/bogie. I did definitely miss the shortest putt of the day on 18, had less than 6 inches to make par, one handed the putt, not even sure I hit the hole. I would have absolutely kicked myself if it meant I lost because of it. Couple of Highlights

@Kiiths short game at times was magic - hit a bump and run on 14 which for all the world I thought was going to be a mile short but stopped dead on the flag made me think this lad was a pure hustler. Really knows how to whip the long clubs aswell and without a few disasters would have won the day easily
    Brian (who is not on boards) - spent a good bit of time with him afterwards, gas character. He couldn't understand how my score was so high beacuse I did nothing spectacular and how his was so low, couldn't figure out where he went wrong as his driving was good and his putting was very very good - he was just unlucky that he played well on the hard holes and on the easier ones when he didn't have a shot he squandered the chance for 2s and 3s
    finally Brendan has a putting stroke given to him by a god, some god somewhere, It was a challenging day and without length (even off the greens) getting a score was going to be tough. I would say he is absolute demon when there is a bit more run on the fairways

15 points front 9, 19 on the back

1 Birdie (2 on 17)
    5 pars
    9 Bogies
    2 Doubles
    1 Oblivion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

willabur wrote: »
    1 Birdie (2 on 17)

A birdy on 17 is great. What club, where did you finish after your approach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

RoadRunner wrote: »
    A birdy on 17 is great. What club, where did you finish after your approach?
    6 iron which I hit really well, hung it out well right of the green but was all over the flag. Pitched about 2-3 feet from the pin and rolled out up to the fringe. Putt was a snakey 20/30 feet from left to right. Got the pace just right as it plopped into the hole nicely

Advertisement