Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandyford Hall - Leopardstown Height

Options
  • 15-01-2020 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,
    We have lived in Ireland for more than 3 years and planned to buy a property in Dublin.
    Can anyone give us some advice about Sandyford Hall - Leopardstown Height - The Gallops area: schools, shops, hospitals, safety in general, etc? Is it safe to walk back home around 10PM?
    We've never lived there and just been there once for a viewing. We like it because it's close to Glencarin Luas but feel a bit worried after reading this: Boy runs onto Dublin's M50 to escape being stabbed after being held at knifepoint at Luas stop, December 29 2019.
    Does this usually happen in the area?
    It's close to Ballyogan, which we've been recommended to stay away from. Is it really a big problem.
    Appreciate all advice :)
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hey - I live in the area and hadn't heard that story! A bit shocking, as it is a really nice area in general and very middle class (think the house prices reflect this). Totally understand about staying away from the Ballyogan council estates, but the areas you mentioned are a good 1km walk or further from there, so not a big concern I would have thought?

I walk around at all times of the day and night and have never felt in danger anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Hi, I live in the area too and generally find it very safe. I'd heard of this story before and found it very strange, it's usually a fairly quiet area. Apparently the area around the off license at Leopardstown shopping centre sometimes has some rough kids hanging around in the evening, I've never come across any trouble myself though and I've lived here for years. It's a handy location, close to the M50 and the luas, several shops and cafes close by, I like living here. Can't comment on schools as don't have kids, but I doubt that's an issue as there are so many families with kids living around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Very unusual, area is quite safe. There's lots of young families so you will have to put up with teenagers being a nuisance in various ways for the next few years. Most areas of Dublin have a social housing estate close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hottea2019

Thank you everyone for your opinion.
    Is it possible to rent out 1-2 rooms of the house in this area? We are planning to have kids in the next couple of years, but not now. So there will be at least one spare room which can be rented out.
    However, we are not sure about the renting demand in that area which is not close to any big universities or supermarkets?
    We've lived in Dublin 4 and Blackrock before which are always in high-demand for renting so we believe it's easier to find a nice tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I would imagine if you buy somewhere near the Luas you won't have a problem renting rooms out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement