Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

Is it normal for the builder when agreeing terms in the contract for a new build in a development to request the buyer to sign and agree there is no subject to loan clause in the contract?

It’s a new and disturbing trend

If there’s a problem and your mortgage gets pulled you are in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Is it normal for the builder when agreeing terms in the contract for a new build in a development to request the buyer to sign and agree there is no subject to loan clause in the contract?

We had this issue and gambled. Our solicitor, my friend, was very apprehensive about it and advised us to be very cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Kind of have to take the chance there are no other options are there the builder has us over a barrel really?

Kind of have to take the chance there are no other options are there the builder has us over a barrel really?

Exactly, realistically as long as there is someone else looking for the property at that price I think you'll be okay, but if there's another credit dip between deposit and drawdown then you've issues

GingerLily wrote:
    Exactly, realistically as long as there is someone else looking for the property at that price I think you'll be okay, but if there's another credit dip between deposit and drawdown then you've issues

I am hoping drawdown will be sometime around next April or May so are you saying the risk is if there is a dip in property prices between now and then and the house valuation is less then I won't secure the required loan from the bank?

I don't foresee any changes coming with regards our employment or salaries, they should actually be higher by then.

What other risks are there to consider?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

We had the exact same issue, and we just signed and closed this week.
    Contractor refused to add a loan clause so our solicitor advised us not to sign anything until we were 100% sure there would be no issues with drawing down the mortgage.

We didn't sign the contracts until the bank confirmed (via our solicitor) that we were 100% covered on the draw down clauses.
    But once we did sign, everything went smoothly from there, and it was a very quick turn around to closing.

Just be sure there are no issues that may affect your ability to draw down your mortgage and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

Realistically though if you had signed without a subject to loan clause and lets imagine the bank declined the mortgage after signing for whatever reason... the builder surely would have very little chance of perusing you for €300-400k ...people dont have that kind of money under the coach or in assets.

Doop wrote: »
    Realistically though if you had signed without a subject to loan clause and lets imagine the bank declined the mortgage after signing for whatever reason... the builder surely would have very little chance of perusing you for €300-400k ...people dont have that kind of money under the coach or in assets.

But they have your deposit!

Its a low risk but material gamble, probably the biggest gamble I ever took :D

GingerLily wrote: »
    But they have your deposit!

Its a low risk but material gamble, probably the biggest gamble I ever took :D

Exactly this!

We really didn't want to hand over 25k without any protection. It's a lot of money to lose.

Sure the builder will probably just look for another buyer instead of chasing you... but I doubt any of them would give the deposit back

To update my own experience.

Finally have everything sorted and have closed. Main points:

New build house, west of Ireland, used help to buy.

Mortgage with PTSB - had a fantastic experience with the bank, very quick turn around on everything on their side, went from walking in the door to valuation in less than 2 weeks. Have a part gifted deposit, minimal savings, a personal loan and new car pcp. PTSB had no issues with any of these. - Highly recommend based on my personal experience.

Mortgage protection - really struggled here due to a chronic illness. turned down instantly by laya and irish life. Ended up going to the brokers at Lion.ie and I honestly can't praise them enough. had our application submitted in less than 24 hours and policy cover for us in less than 10 days. Even contacting us outside of work hours when needed. - Highly recommend them.

Had several issues with the vendors solicitor, but luckily we have a great solicitor who really fought for us. Made our life a lot less stressful.
    Main issue is the developer refusing to add a loan clause.
    This was sorted by not signing any contracts until we confirmed that there would be no issues with drawing down the mortgage, at which point we went quickly through signing to closing. Our solicitor kept us on track here. - Highly recommend the solicitor, if anyone in the west on Ireland wants their contact just pm me.

Developer refused to abide by the standard building agreement, instead using Homebond as a guarantee of quality. This caused several issues in terms of our personal security and bank draw down requirements. In the end the bank accepted the homebond certificate as a quality guarantee before draw down. this was only issued once the house was completed. - Again our solicitor was great in sorting this with the bank.

Cashback offer from bank - We get 2% cashback after draw down. they state up to 40days after, but we got ours on the 3rd working day after drawdown (massive help kitting out the house!)

Help to buy was no issue at all for any party, and as we are bound to a the htb 5 year requirement we decided to also take a 5 year fixed rate from the bank (3.2%).

One thing a lot of people do underestimate (we did) is the additional fees on top of the solicitor fees. they came to an additional 3600 after the solicitors fees. 2500 of that is the stamp duty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

we decided to also take a 5 year fixed rate from the bank (2.25%).

Just a quick question on this, wondering if you were in the 80-90% LTV band? We went with BOI, fixed for 5 years at 3% a couple of months ago, this or KBC seemed to be the lowest rates I could find at the time. I'd be very tempted to switch if 2.25% was available.

aloooof wrote: »
    Just a quick question on this, wondering if you were in the 80-90% LTV band? We went with BOI, fixed for 5 years at 3% a couple of months ago, this or KBC seemed to be the lowest rates I could find at the time. I'd be very tempted to switch if 2.25% was available.

Apologies. that is a typo. it should be 3 not 2! I'll fix that now.

But it is:
    90% LTV.

Most of the banks have lower interest rates now (I think ulsterbank have the lowest 2.3%?), they have been having a bit of a rate war lately.
    That said, if you are locked into a fixed rate with BOI I don't know how easy it would be for you to move off that. There are usually fees tied to leaving a fixed rate. This is something to look into and weigh up if it is worth switching before you make any decisions.

Apologies. that is a typo. it should be 3 not 2! I'll fix that now.

But it is:
    90% LTV.

Most of the banks have lower interest rates now (I think ulsterbank have the lowest 2.3%?), they have been having a bit of a rate war lately.
    That said, if you are locked into a fixed rate with BOI I don't know how easy it would be for you to move off that. There are usually fees tied to leaving a fixed rate. This is something to look into and weigh up if it is worth switching before you make any decisions.

Cool, thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

aloooof wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for the response.

Just FYI
    I was in a fixed 3 year with PTSB and am breaking out of it free of charge. Just ring your bank and check, there is a good chance it's free. I am going with the 2.3% rate with Ulster Bank

ILikeBoats wrote:
    Just FYI I was in a fixed 3 year with PTSB and am breaking out of it free of charge. Just ring your bank and check, there is a good chance it's free. I am going with the 2.3% rate with Ulster Bank

It is 2.3% fixed for one year only though isn't it?

If you go to fix again next year the fixed rate could well be up.

It could well be down also but I suppose that's the gamble.

I opted to go with a 5 year fixed at 3% with BOI.

It is 2.3% fixed for one year only though isn't it?

If you go to fix again next year the fixed rate could well be up.

It could well be down also but I suppose that's the gamble.

I opted to go with a 5 year fixed at 3% with BOI.

For PTSB it seems to be 2.3% fixed for 2 years. I've also fixed for 5 years at 3% with BOI, which was the most competitive 5 year rate I could find at the time (including cash back deals).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Fixed 2 years with ulster Bank. Will just refix or look elsewhere in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Any of you folks got AIP from KBC or Ulster Bank recently and any idea how long it took from submitting all the documents?

Does it speed up/slow down at all using a broker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Rang a few estate agents this morning about setting up a viewing, do any of them work weekends?
    Can you view houses at weekends or do people usually take days off to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

Any of you folks got AIP from KBC or Ulster Bank recently and any idea how long it took from submitting all the documents?

Ours took about 3 weeks. We went via a broker - I'm not sure if it would be quicker going direct or not but our broker had a direct link into KBC

• Advertisement

chrismon wrote: »
    Rang a few estate agents this morning about setting up a viewing, do any of them work weekends?

Viewings regularly happen on weekends but the offices are generally closed. Better off arranging the viewings mid week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

chrismon wrote: »

Open viewings are mostly on Saturdays, so agents will be out and about at the open viewings. When you are searching on daft, you can select “Open viewings only” and work out a timetable for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

dudara wrote: »
    Open viewings are mostly on Saturdays, so agents will be out and about at the open viewings. When you are searching on daft, you can select “Open viewings only” and work out a timetable for yourself.

That makes sense thanks.

Ours took about 3 weeks. We went via a broker - I'm not sure if it would be quicker going direct or not but our broker had a direct link into KBC

Thanks, longer than I was hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Our AIP from KBC came in less than a week once all docs had been submitted. We went through a broker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

We just got AIP with KBC, took 3 weeks.

When/if we go sale agreed, what other documentation will we have to submit to KBC of any?

We have provided everything so far, salary certs, bank statements, payslips, they did the credit checks etc.

Do we have to resubmit all this again say in 2-3 months when we go sale agreed or just payslips?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

bri007 wrote: »
    We just got AIP with KBC, took 3 weeks.

When/if we go sale agreed, what other documentation will we have to submit to KBC of any?

We have provided everything so far, salary certs, bank statements, payslips, they did the credit checks etc.

Do we have to resubmit all this again say in 2-3 months when we go sale agreed or just payslips?

Thanks

They'll send any outstanding with your offer.

e.g. offer based on sending in x

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Do the Banks take into account how much you pay in rent/housekeeping to parents?

Do the Banks take into account how much you pay in rent/housekeeping to parents?

They can yeah but you're definitely best off paying it regularly at the same time of the month each month. Set up a standing order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭skywayavenue

They didn't for us. We were paying 400- not a huge amount but still. Had a standing order set up but they said payments to parents didnt count, that they could be handing it back to us in cash...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement