Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M4 to Loughlinstown

Options
  • 08-10-2018 3:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29

Hi,
    Anybody doing this commute from kinnegad/enfield to cherrywood/loughlinstown? just wondering what the traffic is like for a 9am start?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I drive the opposite direction on the N4. You're better off looking for another way around. It's very heavy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 greasy underpanse

I drive the opposite direction on the N4. You're better off looking for another way around. It's very heavy.

wonder if there is another way around, coming from kinnegad direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

wonder if there is another way around, coming from kinnegad direction

No. It isn't a runner. You need a 6:30 AM or an 11 AM start. It isn't viable. If currently unemployed you have nothing to lose. If employed don't do it you'll be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i do that route stopping at ballymount, through enfield at 7.15 ballymount for anywhere between 8 and 8.30 with southcound M50 moving very slowly.
    Motorcycle is viable, car is torturous

No doubt someone on here will tell you to get a bus to city and then hop on the luas........

Seriously though the above time doesn't allow for the relatively frequent crashes slowing things down considerably

• Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

seems doable according to Google (which takes into account traffic conditions):

HHCKmmN.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Apologies it is viable on a good motorbike as slavetothegrind says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

loyatemu wrote: »
    seems doable according to Google (which takes into account traffic conditions):

HHCKmmN.png

on a good day yes, but there will be a LOT of slower days where you will be late.

I am not being a naysayer for the craic honestly. You should drive it one morning and see for yourself.

Getting home at 5/5.30 is going to take some time too....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sign of the times we live in....

Two people with firsthand knowledge say it's to be avoided, someone else then embeds a Google screenshot to show that it's 'doable'.

This is how the Brits got sold #brexit - don't listen to people who know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

coylemj wrote: »

Two people with firsthand knowledge say it's to be avoided, someone else then embeds a Google screenshot to show that it's 'doable'.

This is how the Brits got sold #brexit - don't listen to people who know what they're talking about.

I'm not claiming Google is perfect but they do have a lot of info on traffic conditions at different times of the day and that is incorporated into their directions. Obviously first hand knowledge is probably better but you're still taking the word of internet randommers.

Nice shoehorn of Brexit into the discussion btw; do Trump next...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Trump eh...

Make Commuting Great Again.

But seriously it's a bumper to bumper grind along the m4 / n4 because there's so many high population areas feeding into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

coylemj wrote: »

OP, I urge You to listen to what the 2 people said.....it's a non-runner imho. I don't go that route in the mornings, but almost without fail on the radio there are serious delays on the M4 ( which I do use in the mornings ) along with the M50 south.

I can say this from first hand knowledge: going home will be torturous - I know, almost every evening from about 16h30 onwards...from J13 to J9 ( where I head for the 2nd car park at the ball ) the M50 is almost a complete carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Hi,
    Anybody doing this commute from kinnegad/enfield to cherrywood/loughlinstown? just wondering what the traffic is like for a 9am start?

Train from Enfield to Broombridge, then green line tram. You’ll be breaking your heart on a twice daily basis otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Train to Broombridge, Luas out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Allow an hour from the N4/M50 interchange to Loughlinstown (I drive this myself). Add on however long it takes to go from Enfield to M50 and there's your time. I'd say 2 hours door to door would be a safe bet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Like others have said I go west bound and traffic is nearly always near standstill around 7.15 ish this usually gets worse during the winter and on wet days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I had to travel ucd for a week of training last week from around kinnegad general area. First morning I left at 7. Didnt arrive in ucd until 910. 2nd morning I left at 630 and still took me guts of 2 hours again. Traffic on n4 stops at every junction as people filter out. M50 is bumper to bumper from n4 all the way out to south side. I would definitely avoid unless you can start at 7 or something

Advertisement