Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Relative humidity readings

Options
  • 11-09-2019 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I purchased a combined temperature and. Relative humidity monitor. In a bedroom with a suspended timber floor the RH rises when temperature rises according to the monitor.
    I thought this very strange, so moved monitor to the kitchen which has a solid concrete floor and the RH lowers when the temperature rises as I would expect.
    Has anyone an explanation for this.
    The monitor is a Blue Maestro disc.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No vents in the bedroom, while there are vents in the kitchen??

Does your monitor give readings in percentages?

Ie bedroom 18 degrees @ 60%, 20 degrees @ 70%

??

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Ak84

No vents in bedroom is correct.
    Kitchen has internal door linking to drafty garage and also a cooker hood vented out. So lots of leaky ventilation.
    An example of the reading is as follows.
    Temp 18.5 RH 61.
    Temp 19.1, RH 62.7.
    Temp 19.8, RH 63.5.
    Temp 20.6, RH 66.3.
    Temp 20.5, RH 65.4.

The above are readings collected every hour.

It could simply be a case of people in the bedroom increasing both temperature and RH, with their breath.... Which is co2 + water vapour

No vent = no where for the extra vapour to go.

It's only a 1 year olds bedroom and the readings go up in unison with the oil heating coming on. Even during the day with no baby in the room.
    I might place it in my bedroom for a few days, which has suspended floor also.

Do you think it could be related to some form of damp in the house, Syd?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't hazard a guess at this stage, but I would suggest getting a permanent background vent installed in that room. A one year old burns hotter and probably sweats a lot at night, and may even need a room warmer than the rest of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Probably the wooden floor is releasing moisture as temperature increases. I have a floor that buckles only in August and goes down a few months after we light fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Leaky pipe under the floor?

Advertisement