Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying turf

Options
  • 16-09-2020 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I’m going to lay a turf lawn (70sqm) in about 6 weeks. Ideally I’d have done it earlier but didn’t get a chance.

I’m laying it up to a patio. I want to be able mow right up to the patio without any issue. The turf supplier says to leave a 1 inch gap between the level of the patio and the soil the turf is going on but I’ve read a few things online saying to have the soil at the level of the patio to account for settling.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Any other tips on prep or laying welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

This really depends on tha soil you are laying it on. Is it newly filled and was deep or you only need to bring up level ,say, 3 inches. If its deep it will settle. Have you laid a lawn before, most important things, get soil as level as you can. Keep joints tight. Water well first few days if no rain. Get a few scaffold planks.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

rje66 wrote: »
    This really depends on tha soil you are laying it on. Is it newly filled and was deep or you only need to bring up level ,say, 3 inches. If its deep it will settle. Have you laid a lawn before, most important things, get soil as level as you can. Keep joints tight. Water well first few days if no rain. Get a few scaffold planks.

Thanks - it’s almost all existing lawn that I’m stripping turf off and digging over or rotovating so it will be disturbed soil and I guess settle over time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

okedoke wrote: »
    Thanks - it’s almost all existing lawn that I’m stripping turf off and digging over or rotovating so it will be disturbed soil and I guess settle over time

After rotovating "heel toe it" by that I mean put all your weight on your heel then your tow as you walk over it. Provided the soil is reasonably dry you won't over compress it but that will stop you getting soft spots from rotovating more deeply and fluffing up the soil more in some areas.

The soil in the turf wants to be a tad higher than the patio (not lower) then once a year cut the edges back with an edging iron. If you run the edging iron flush with the patio edge you get a nice neat edge.

One inch higher would be the standard spec for the work (I used to do landscaping) but that really is a little to high.

Wake me up when it's all over.

After rotovating "heel toe it" by that I mean put all your weight on your heel then your tow as you walk over it. Provided the soil is reasonably dry you won't over compress it but that will stop you getting soft spots from rotovating more deeply and fluffing up the soil more in some areas.

The soil in the turf wants to be a tad higher than the patio (not lower) then once a year cut the edges back with an edging iron. If you run the edging iron flush with the patio edge you get a nice neat edge.

One inch higher would be the standard spec for the work (I used to do landscaping) but that really is a little to high.
    Thanks continental - at 1 inch high you’d be heeling the soil to a level flush with the patio and then laying the turf ?

Thats the way we used to do it. I prefer a little lower so you don't have the full inch above the patio. What will happen is the grass on the edge will get trodden on and spread over the patio. The more you have above the patio the quicker it will spread. So I used to go for about half an inch. Now an inch looks good if you keep it regularly edged off with an edging iron but may want doing a little more often than you want. Also with half an inch you can normally get away with putting the mower wheels on the patio as you go around the edges without having to alter the height. A full inch can get scabbed unless you put more of the mower on the patio than the grass when edging off. Straddling the edge of the grass with the mower also helps stop the grass growing over the patio as the lift action of the air flow under the deck sucks up grass growing out over the patio.

You definitely don't want the grass below the edge of the patio as that doesn't look right and means you need to get the strimmer out to cut the grass up close to the edge of the patio - unnecessary effort.

Obviously after firming up the soil you rake to level but if you find you are raking a lot of soil into deep hollows then heel toe again before the final rake over.

• Advertisement

Great - thanks for that

Ive killed the old lawn which was full of perennial weeds with roundup and will be removing the turf. Can this be composted down for adding to veg beds or will the roundup persist in the soil?

Roundup in the soil won't damage any plants. The sods are best stacked and covered. Stack as high as you can say a meter or so if you have enough then cover in black plastic. The sods eventually break down to a lovely composty type of soil. If you dig sods in they don't break down the same way and are a bit of a mess. What I do on the other hand with sods that can be removed in turf size strips is use them face down between other plants as a sort of mulch particularly where I need a bit of extra soil also handy between rows of veg or earlier in the year to earth up spuds. .

Advertisement