Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you wise to Dunnes marketing ploy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I'll be damned if I'm going to add up all my purchases as I put them in the trolley. Life's too short.

Now there’s an invention for ye.
    A little scanner gadget on the trolley that you scan your items on like at the till as you throw them in and you would know what you are spending as you go.
    Would help where prices aren’t displayed and would be great for the idiots that wait at the till until everything is scanned through and they then put on the deer in headlights look,all surprised they have to pay and spend 10 minutes looking for a purse.that there boils my blood and I stuck behind them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Now there’s an invention for ye.
    A little scanner gadget on the trolley that you scan your items on like at the till as you throw them in and you would know what you are spending as you go.
    Would help where prices aren’t displayed and would be great for the idiots that wait at the till until everything is scanned through and they then put on the deer in headlights look,all surprised they have to pay and spend 10 minutes looking for a purse.that there boils my blood and I stuck behind them

Self scan in nothing new and has failed here in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Self scan in nothing new and has failed here in the past.

Fit them to the trolley.small like the size of a mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'll be damned if I'm going to add up all my purchases as I put them in the trolley. Life's too short.

Yeah, me too, but was trying to help that poster who was dashing back from the tills to buy something to reach the E50 max. Much to the chagrin of those behind him/her I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Jman wrote: »
    I just use it to buy alcohol. The 2 slabs for €50 is great value when ya use the tenner off!!

Most of the time now you get the beer cheaper in other shops -or the same price factoring in the voucher.

at the moment offers are in loads of shops, and you are not roped into buying 2 trays.

centra have 2x12packs for €20
    https://centra.ie/offers?category_id=512&subcategory_id=576#special-offer-filter

heineken and others €20 a tray in supervalu
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1020017000

Tesco had to stop taking competitor coupons, people like me were getting amazing deals using the dunnes vouchers on trays which were €20 (while dunnes were €24-25 back then too)

Of course it is built into the price, and this is why I do not shop much in dunnes, I am subsidising the voucher users. I find the ongoing nature of it an annoyance, like how the "junkmail" pizza companies expect you to root through your green bin for vouchers to pay what should be the regular ongoing price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How many here have thrown out fruits, vegetables, milk etc that was bought in Dunnes because the €50, €100 or other mark had to be be hit to qualify for extra discount or discount at the next shop?

You'd need your head examined to buy perishables to make up the value. Your household is not going to consume more bananas, carrots or milk just because you got a discount at the checkout. Buy booze which is on special offer instead.

Example: Campo Viejo Tempranillo (Spanish red wine) is currently €12.95 in O'Briens, it's €10.50 in Dunnes. There's currenly an offer in Dunnes of €10 off if you buy six bottles of wine. Which means that if you buy six bottles and have a '€10 off when you spend €50' voucher, you get the six bottles for €43 net (€63 gross with 2 x €10 discounts) or just over €7 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yeah, me too, but was trying to help that poster who was dashing back from the tills to buy something to reach the E50 max. Much to the chagrin of those behind him/her I reckon!

It's a common enough occurrence, so I don't think too many eyebrows are raised.

What I've started doing, is mentally picking out stuff that I will get if I think I'm going to be a few euro short, that way I remain unflustered, I home in on the item like a heat-seeking missile and am back at the checkout before anyone gets narky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Dunnes Stores is generally cheaper on branded items vs the likes of Tesco, SuperValu and Lidl/Aldi. The reason it’s more expensive doing a full shop there is because of the lack of value/own brands they carry. It has shrunk over the years.

Soft drink are a lot cheaper in Dunnes Stores as my fellow Monster energy drinkers will attest to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Miaireland wrote: »
    What always amazes me in my local Dunnes is the people who go to the checkout and find out there shopping is €41 or €42 euro. They then grab random crap to bring it up to €50 to get token.

A bottle of wine isn’t rsndom crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Maybe if you grew up in a household with an alcoholic parent you might feel differently. We cant all have the 'im okay so feck the rest' attitude.

There is a real problem with the relationship some people have to alcohol and drinking. And ill miss my 16 euro bottles of rum from aldi, but hope the carnage at A&E's around the country eases up.

The Scottish Government estimates that if trends continue its minimum unit pricing (MUP) strategy will save 392 lives over its first five years.

Minimum price alcohol won’t change that. An out right ban on tobacco would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

It's a common enough occurrence, so I don't think too many eyebrows are raised.

What I've started doing, is mentally picking out stuff that I will get if I think I'm going to be a few euro short, that way I remain unflustered, I home in on the item like a heat-seeking missile and am back at the checkout before anyone gets narky.

I do similar and keep an eye for good offers on household essentials if I need something to make up the total. I also do a rough running total in my head as I shop.

Every shop has different offers on different products. We are lucky to have the choice, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Not need to "dash" anywhere, most shopping has a few times where you buy a few of them, just ask the Till assistant to scan another one, and pick it up on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Its not hard to do simple totting. Round everything to nearest euro and you'll be close. Is this another example of people being too dependent on technology?

crossman47 wrote: »
    Its not hard to do simple totting. Round everything to nearest euro and you'll be close. Is this another example of people being too dependent on technology?

I was replying specifically to a suggestion of entering each item cost into a calculator. I'm well able to guesstimate if I could be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My visits to Dunnes depend on whether or not they're selling Kenco Mocha half price. It doesn't take much to bring the purchases up to €50 when there are a dozen boxes in the trolley. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Bought 6 bottles of wine at €8.50 in Dunnes. Same wine €10 in Tesco and SuperValu.

Dunnes have a €10 off if you buy any 6 bottles AND I was able to use my €10 off voucher on top of that.

Sorted....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If I'm a bit short to get the €50 limit I'll run back and grab something quick to bring me over the amount - usually I grab a couple of bottles of beer.

Anyhow, I'm in Dunnes last week and it comes to €96 or something so I run back and grab myself a couple of IPA's.

As I get back to the checkout with beers in hand there's a few people queuing behind me and my 10 years old turns to my 8 year old and loudly exclaims "Told you" - in reference to the beers.

Everyone in the queue chuckles and I feel like a problem drinker.

Fin.

Didn't Happen of the Year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

We do our usual weekly shop at dunnes and it mosty comes to €100 with €20 off so €80 would cover 2 adults for the most of the week ,a top up shop locally would be covered with €20 ,Now what i can not get my head around is the big save at Lidl by the various different families .I have gone to the trouble of checking that a family of two the Henry Ilhas saved a whopping €1892 over 20 weeks yet my family of two would roughly only spend that amount on groceries .What the fuk do they be buying!!!!

cute geoge wrote: »
    We do our usual weekly shop at dunnes and it mosty comes to €100 with €20 off so €80 would cover 2 adults for the most of the week ,a top up shop locally would be covered with €20 ,Now what i can not get my head around is the big save at Lidl by the various different families .I have gone to the trouble of checking that a family of two the Henry Ilhas saved a whopping €1892 over 20 weeks yet my family of two would roughly only spend that amount on groceries .What the fuk do they be buying!!!!

That was discussed here one night recently and nobody could figure the savings Lidl claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

I have lost count the amount of times I have bought fruit and veg in Aldi/Lidl and it has been partially spoiled/rotten. Just bought Satsumas yesterday and had to throw half out. Many times Ive seen blue mould on the fruit/veg in Lidl/Aldi. So I carefully choose. In fairness to Dunnes (where I go the odd time), you pay more, but the products are of a higher quality. Also they dont sell mad stuff like welding kits which can save you money too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i find fruit n veg in tesco/dunnes no better than lidl aldi. not the shelf life not the taste etc.

i take my time choosing the best i can and have no bother dipping into the box below etc if they are stacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

That was discussed here one night recently and nobody could figure the savings Lidl claimed.

It's a con. They're comparing their LIDL shopping basket with same products bought in more expensive (unnamed) competitor shops, only mentioning item description and brand. Check out the excel sheets in link.

https://www.lidl.ie/the-big-save-terms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Dunnes- totally overpriced. Vouchers to keep you coming back, they can keep it. Their own brand stuff is kak too. Aldi and Lidl are getting more and more expensive also, and Tesco is fecked because of Brexit their prices are soaring.

Indeed. Dunnes stores, the difference is, we're expensive.

Dunne’s Stores, the only one that stocks my favorite muesli and stuffing!

screamer wrote: »
    Dunnes- totally overpriced. Vouchers to keep you coming back, they can keep it. Their own brand stuff is kak too. Aldi and Lidl are getting more and more expensive also, and Tesco is fecked because of Brexit their prices are soaring.

Sounds like you could be going hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

It's a con. They're comparing their LIDL shopping basket with same products bought in more expensive (unnamed) competitor shops, only mentioning item description and brand. Check out the excel sheets in link.

https://www.lidl.ie/the-big-save-terms

It is a con. Comparing Nivea beauty cream with Cien. Or Heineken with lidl own brand beer. Very misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bought half a cow, a lamb and have a freezer full of veg.

I'd find it hard to spend 50 , never mind spend 50 in DS(scratch that...DS is a rip off)

Used to top up in DS after Aldi. Got 2 bags in DS for the same as a trolley load in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Bought half a cow, a lamb and have a freezer full of veg.
    Real BAers would go to the farm, buy the cow, having farmer chop it and freeze it

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

It is a con. Comparing Nivea beauty cream with Cien. Or Heineken with lidl own brand beer. Very misleading.

What exactly did you think they were doing? I thought it was quite obvious.

• Advertisement

I have lost count the amount of times I have bought fruit and veg in Aldi/Lidl and it has been partially spoiled/rotten. Just bought Satsumas yesterday and had to throw half out. Many times Ive seen blue mould on the fruit/veg in Lidl/Aldi. So I carefully choose. In fairness to Dunnes (where I go the odd time), you pay more, but the products are of a higher quality. Also they dont sell mad stuff like welding kits which can save you money too :)

Feckin satsumas in Lidl are rotten this week ! Maybe it’s an entire shipment but I’m never buying them again. They were mostly shriveled up and completely dried out inside when you peeled them.
    Likewise their PinkLady apples lately.......looked fine on the outside but seem to have lots of brown strange tasting bruises inside . My entire pack of 6 were like this :(

I live right beside a Dunnes but find them very expensive . I never use their vouchers as I’m single and usually don’t buy enough in one go.

Advertisement