Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Kamara is a disgusting cheat, he's always diving or trying to con the ref.

Jack getting cocky and wasteful since we 3 up.

I'd like to see Traore on soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Patser

Esse85 wrote: »
    Kamara is a disgusting cheat, he's always diving or trying to con the ref.

Jack getting cocky and wasteful since we 3 up.

I'd like to see Traore on soon.

Yes plese on soon for Trez, maybe Ramsay for McGinn too as he's been booked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LeBash wrote: »
    I'd pull McGinn off, bring Nakamba on and move Luiz up. These are winning a lot of ball and we might be in trouble if down to 10 men.

tenor.gif

And bring on Nakamba for Hourihane.

Fulham are creating chances now.

We're asleep since the 3rd goal went in. Attitude has been sloppy.
    Obviously not used to being on this position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Targett is pathetic. Has he stopped even one cross all game? We need a better left back ASAP.

Any sort of sub now would be good Dean

rebelomar wrote: »
    Targett is pathetic. Has he stopped even one cross all game? We need a better left back ASAP.

He's very lazy, no real desire.

I'm shocked we haven't seen a change yet, apart from the goal, second half has been poor.

We're asleep since the 3rd goal went in. Attitude has been sloppy.
    Obviously not used to being on this position.

Bring on Nakamba and Traore for the counter attack.

Jacob Ramsey coming on for Conor.

• Advertisement

Ramsey coming in.

What about Traore, also great chance for Davis to get off the mark too

Actually be very nice to try kill off this game with bit of POSSESSION - stop kicking it away into corners FFS

Patser wrote: »
    Ramsey coming in.

What about Traore, also great chance for Davis to get off the mark too

Yeah I'd of hoped both would of came on by now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Like the look of Cash so far but he does like to dive in a bit. Could see him getting a red sometime during the season

Traore on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

listermint wrote: »
    3 Nil Villa.

Good night, thank you.

A fine win. We let them play too much after going 3 nil up but I guess they just weren't used to that situation.

Traore looks very lazy running back the way, he won't be much help to the RB

The scoreline is fantastic, the second half performance was very poor.
    I love Watkins attitude.
    Cash does dive in and will get caught out.

Positives are clean sheet, 3 goals scored and much better from McGinn today.

listermint wrote: »
    Good night, thank you.

Hope you'd a few quid on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

A few nice touches from Traore in his few minutes. He can be a good player for us.

• Advertisement

Hope you'd a few quid on it.

If I do that it would have been 3-3 . Best not :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Would have been nice to see Watkins score. I know he's being getting them in the Carabou cup but it would have been good to get that first league goal under his belt.

Fulham look desperate. They'll surely go down unless they take drastic action in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Great result.

All new signings have been upgrades on last season.

But still some major weaknesses in the starting 11.

As other have stated Matt Targett is a liability

Also that CM trio isn't close to being good enough. Fulham were woeful tonight and still won that battle easily enough. Had we had a good CM pairing to have ahead of Luiz we could have beaten them by 5/6. I really like mcGinn and tonight was one of his better games for sure, but he never seems to be capable of controlling a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

JPA wrote: »
    If the game continues like this he'll have a good chance. But that was a strange header.

He got a decent shove in the back. Surprised commentators didn’t pick up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Delighted. Fantastic to have 6 points on the board straight away.

Another clean sheet is great - we haven't conceeded in 4 competitive games now. Granted 3 were against poor teams, and the other was against 10 men, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Trez was immense with that workrate on the right hand side. Him and Cash were some partnership. Targett was the only real poor performer although Martinez is more than a little fortunate to not have a blot on his copybook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thought the team saw the game out pretty comfortably, surprised at the negativity towards that. Restricted Fulham to very little and looked to hit them on the break. Fulham play a relentlessly possession based game, like they did last season, early signs might show it could be their undoing. Watkins was probably frustrated but he adds a lot to the play up there, was very influential in Jack, McGinn's and Conor's games in the first half to bring them into play up near the goal and bore fruit massively. Konsa and Mings great, without really having to do anything last ditch either.

First time since 1999 Villa have started with 2 PL wins. Two clean sheets as well which almost just as pleasing I think.

CucaFace wrote: »
    Great result.

All new signings have been upgrades on last season.

But still some major weaknesses in the starting 11.

As other have stated Matt Targett is a liability

Also that CM trio isn't close to being good enough. Fulham were woeful tonight and still won that battle easily enough. Had we had a good CM pairing to have ahead of Luiz we could have beaten them by 5/6. I really like mcGinn and tonight was one of his better games for sure, but he never seems to be capable of controlling a game.

I agree with all this.

With McGinn, his game is based on high bursts of speed, he's limited to how many times he can do this. We are missing that physical enforcer that would help us dominate midfield.

McGinn, Hourihane and Luiz must be the least physical combination you'll find in the league. Very easy to play against. Neat and tidy players but none will win aerial battles or have that presence needed to control games.

Traore will do my head in being casual and not doing enough to chase back. I've seen enough after 10 mins to say that. As poor as Trezeguet is going forward, his work rate and heart is amazing.

Squad is still very light on quality, an injury to Mings or Luiz, not to mention Jack and we're in big trouble.

I think the fact we haven't shifted Lansbury, kalinac, Nyland, Jota, Nakamba, AEG is holding up out attempts to bring in others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Two wins from two
    3 nill win away from home
    Still lads giving out
    Come on lads , be happy ha

sc86 wrote: »
    Two wins from two
    3 nill win away from home
    Still lads giving out
    Come on lads , be happy ha

4 wins from 4 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Any hope for Sunday? Liverpool aren't looking unbeatable and they are ropey at the back.

I cant stand seeing Liverpool with a throw in, so its gonna hurt if we don't get something

LeBash wrote: »
    Any hope for Sunday? Liverpool aren't looking unbeatable and they are ropey at the back.

I cant stand seeing Liverpool with a throw in, so its gonna hurt if we don't get something

Have to expect nothing and anything is a bonus.
    They are not ropey. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Have to expect nothing and anything is a bonus.
    They are not ropey. :confused:

They've conceded 6 goals in 4 games, they aren't the rock at the back that they were last season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

LeBash wrote:
    They've conceded 6 goals in 4 games, they aren't the rock at the back that they were last season so far.

Dont let Klopp here you say that !

2014 - Leicester City promoted back to the Premier League.

2015 - Leicester City narrowly avoid relegation

2016 - Leicester City Premier League champions

2019 - Aston Villa promoted back to the Premier League

2020 - Aston Villa narrowly avoid relegation

2021 - Aston Villa....

2014 - Leicester City promoted back to the Premier League.

2015 - Leicester City narrowly avoid relegation

2016 - Leicester City Premier League champions

2019 - Aston Villa promoted back to the Premier League

2020 - Aston Villa narrowly avoid relegation

2021 - Aston Villa....

Just need a skillful Algerian winger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Just need a skillful Algerian winger...

All we have is an average Egyptian one!

All we have is an average Egyptian one!

I know where to find one!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

They were two games you would be hoping to get points from (Fulham seem to be everyone's favorites to go back down already) but that doesn't really always ring true so it's great to come out of them with 6 points and nowt after those two it's hard not to be far more confident looking at this team.

Watkins is a player I like, who not only knows where the net is but puts himself about and can help set up others. McGinn is starting to look like the player who started last season. Cash seems a solid addition and since the lockdown the defense in general performed better.

I hope a Benrahma/Rashica type signing can still happen despite both links specifically going quiet as that along with Traore will take a lot of pressure and opposition focus off Grealish and make Villa far more of a threat going forward, something which would be amplified even further when we get Wesley back in contention. Would also like to see someone like the linked Loftus Cheek brought in as I think he fits the bill very well for Villa's need.

RLC wasn't in the Chelsea squad tonight, Barkley on the bench, didn't come on.

Surely one of them will join us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Hope it's Barkley but either will improve the squad, option to buy would be lovely but I'd accept it not happening if needs be even if we want to move away from that type of loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Barkley in for season long loan that's a great signing for us

Reports saying the Barkley loan deal is complete, would be fantastic if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

@Matt_Law_DT

Aston Villa have signed Ross Barkley on a season long loan from Chelsea

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Confirmed, pic on socials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Holy **** , great news

Brilliant signing on paper, I'm really happy with that. We'll done to the club getting that over the line.

Really good group of England players developing here now, Cash, Konza, Mings, Grealish, Watkins and now Barkley.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

That's a great signing even if it might mean Grealish is used primarily as a LW again this season. Obviously it'd be great if a LW was still signed but now it'd seem backup to Watkins might be all we will see added to the squad from this point forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

He'll be very frustrating for ye, that's from an Evertonian

• Advertisement

I feel a little sorry for Hourihane who'll be the one to make way but Barkley adds that bit of toughness and steele to the middle. I don't expect us to be carved open through the middle as easily as we have been, we should control games better now.

Massive upgrade on quality there.

Anyone hear exact details of the deal?

Advertisement