Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

1192193194195196198»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Would you not worry that Henderson needs to be playing regularly to keep imporivng or even hold his current level?
    Even right now there are questions about is he good enough to United number 1,

If Dé Gea isn't leaving in the next two years what's the point, You pay a sub keeper huge wages to sit on the bench and by the time he becomes number one he hasn't played enough to be good enough,

I think it’s an ok succession plan with a relatively low risk of it costing much more then the contract and we can always flog him off at a cost neutral excercise (somebody will pay for him).. Rather then spend massive money on a GK , we have a 2 year plan to see if Henderson is good enough for number 1. He may even push DDG up a level and if he’s struggling DDG isn’t a bad fallback. If Henderson works out it will be a very cheap outlet for a replacement for DDG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

DM_7 wrote: »
    At least United giving out a 30million plus contract suggests they may not be worried about the covid impact to the degree we may have thought before.

Hopefully, time will tell but I think it could have been just an excuse as much as anything.

Like I agree with Airbag when he said earlier that the Glazers haven’t been afraid to spend, the money has just been spent very poorly more often than not(although players that probably should have worked out didn’t, perhaps indicating much deeper lying problems at the club) but they have also shown in the past an utter reluctance to invest when Utd have progressed their league position(the second place finish under Jose) and it has to be at the back of the mind the same might be happening here this window.

It’s indecision that has cost us as much as anything post Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Oh I agree our wage structure is a ****ing mess.

Thing is now, if I'm a player looking to sign for UTD and I see the backup goalkeeper is on 120k a week well then I'm gonna be wanting a stupid wage too.

Its different if he left and went to Chelsea and was paid similar because he'd instantly be there number one. But at the end of the day they're paying 120k a week to someone who will more than likely play **** all next season.
    These contracts probably should be structured in a way where the bulk of Hendersons package is made up of a signing on fee with a lower weekly wage but at the same time it shouldn't be f*cking rocket science for a new player arriving into the club to realise that player compensation is more complicated than 'the backup keeper gets 120k a week, i want stupid wages too.

Henderson has been offered these high wages as United feel that this makes financial sense. The risk is more that he doesn't live up to the potential and he ends up being a sponge sitting on our bench as opposed to the future United/English for years to come that they probably perceive him as being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think it’s an ok succession plan with a relatively low risk of it costing much more then the contract and we can always flog him off at a cost neutral excercise (somebody will pay for him).. Rather then spend massive money on a GK , we have a 2 year plan to see if Henderson is good enough for number 1. He may even push DDG up a level and if he’s struggling DDG isn’t a bad fallback. If Henderson works out it will be a very cheap outlet for a replacement for DDG.

Would loaning him back out to Sheffield United not have been better?

He's 23 and a goal keeper isn't like an outfield player you need to be playing week in week out,

Out of interest can you remember any keepers who where second choice in the Prem and went on to successed the number 1 at a top team?
    I'm not saying it hasn't happened but I can't think of one,

Henderson a Huge talent but he needs to be playing

As someone said good deal for United but Henderson could have snookered himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Thrilled to hear Henderson has signed such a long term contract, and it's a clear sign of what the intentions are there for him.

I'd imagine we'll see Romero moving on pretty soon. And DDG will start the league with Henderson given cups to bed in. Genuine competition for DDG could actually give him a kick up the arse.

Its a kick up the ar$e DDG really needs. He's got away far too lightly with all the clangers he's dropped over the last 18 months.

I am glad however that both these keepers are at OT next season. There's no telling how Henderson will adapt. He did really well at Sheffield. But the pressure and level of expectation at United is another step up. And he'll need to prove he can handle it.

Ben Foster looked outstanding on loan at Watford. When United recalled him and he started playing regular games for us the errors crept in pretty quickly and the pressure took its toll. He never really recovered his United career after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Can we say Henderson signing is like a new signing now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Would loaning him back out to Sheffield United not have been better?

He's 23 and a goal keeper isn't like an outfield player you need to be playing week in week out,

Out of interest can you remember any keepers who where second choice in the Prem and went on to successed the number 1 at a top team?
    I'm not saying it hasn't happened but I can't think of one,

Henderson a Huge talent but he needs to be playing

As someone said good deal for United but Henderson could have snookered himself

Unfortunately off the top of my head Joe Harte (wasn’t he second to Given for a while?) comes to mind. I wouldn’t be holding him up as a benchmark to have high hopes.

I would of loaned him out but I’m guessing maybe the player didn’t want that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭billyhead

Henderson is willing to fight for the number 1 spot and that's admired. He could have said to hell with this and left permanently to guarantee consistent playing time. I suppose the weekly salary helps too. As others said it will keep DeGea looking over his shoulder and any blip and he's on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

The problem is his wages. If he continues to get worse there’s no easy way of offloading him.

I’m going to go the optimistic route and hope he just gets his sh*t together. Kind of weird to be writing him off the season our defence was one of the best in the league.

Does anybody know Has his general play been poor or is it mostly the errors? I would of thought that when a defence has lost confidence in keeper they don’t have as good a defensive record as United had last season.

I think in one way it’s not so bad as if we were trying Henderson and he was poor or not up to it then DDG can come back in at least.

least goals conceded from open play in the league with 18. think 11 from set pieces which was quite high in comparison to other top clubs.

i made a post about it a while back.

Some of you get wayyyy to concerned with wages. Even before we offloaded a bunch of senior players recently , our wage to revenue was relatively low. I’d say we are now prob have the lowest wage to revenue bills in the league. Plenty of room for some world class signings.

Its just another sign of how bad the club is run though. Its not a worry about going broke.

Im sure we have a wage structure in place that we wont go much over and paying lads massive money to sit on the bench will effect what we can put out on the pitch.

It also makes it near impossible move players on as we have seen in the past and players just run down there contracts, do feck all and end up with bigger contracts some how at a later date.

Like as bad as Ed has been buying players he has been worse selling them barring DiMaria who was a great player at a good age we havent got decent money for any player and we lost money on that deal.

Also usually the clubs who spend the most on wages end up near the top of the table there have been studies into it, I mean it makes sense anyways but we spend loads and contentiously struggle to make the top 4.

Its just another sign of a poorly run football club tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭KH25

Can we say Henderson signing is like a new signing now ?

Might be the only one we get :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

KH25 wrote: »
    Might be the only one we get :p

A bit OTT, Pogba will be like a new signing when he sets his new deal....

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bangkok wrote: »
    i dont follow American football but a friend of mine told me that Tom Brady signed for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, considered to be the greatest quarter back in history, it was the glazers who signed him and he said he wouldnt put it past them to sign Messi for united (but i said i can only see him going to PSG or City)

I do follow American football, closely, and as a Pats fan I can indeed confirm TB12 is the GOAT. But the situation is no way comparable.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

'Maguire conviction 'nullified', retrial to be held'

http://www.skysports.com/share/12057203

Maguire to be kept as Captain for next season as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If he’s convicted again he needs to be chucked out of the club.

There was a time to hold his hand up and say “I fcuked up” and move along with life, but that time has long gone now.

I’ve been on this earth more years than Harry and I’ve never gotten into a drunken brawl and been convicted of assaulting a police officer and bribery. At this stage it’s extremely unlikely he’s innocent of everything they say he did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I am a bit confused by the Henderson situation (not getting another loan).

My best guess now is that the club believe Henderson can offer a level of competition that will either push De Gea to get back to his best or be replaced.

Henderson will have to work very hard in his distibution with the ball anyway. I don't think Sheffield United had much focus on that the last couple of years.

Maybe Romero will head out now on loan or a longer term move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If he’s convicted again he needs to be chucked out of the club.

There was a time to hold his hand up and say “I fcuked up” and move along with life, but that time has long gone now.

I’ve been on this earth more years than Harry and I’ve never gotten into a drunken brawl and been convicted of assaulting a police officer and bribery. At this stage it’s extremely unlikely he’s innocent of everything they say he did.

Same here, but then again I've never been to Greece... so for that reason, my situation isn't 100% comparable to a high profile footballer, living in the public eye, subject to regular abuse and provocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

DM_7 wrote: »
    I am a bit confused by the Henderson situation (not getting another loan).

My best guess now is that the club believe Henderson can offer a level of competition that will either push De Gea to get back to his best or be replaced.

Henderson will have to work very hard in his distibution with the ball anyway. I don't think Sheffield United had much focus on that the last couple of years.

Maybe Romero will head out now on loan or a longer term move.

Think Romero will likely move on, been a super signing all things considered assuming we get a fee for him. Can't ask for anymore from a back up keeper let alone a guy picked up for free

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,582 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Closing this as close to 10k posts.

New thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114437109#post114437109

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement