Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Mullen Jnr, true legend

Options
  • 26-05-2006 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    I don't usually post in here so this is the first time. We were up in the Summit Inn in Howth last night at a 'going away' do that a friend of had. This chap is actually the manager of the Summit Inn also. Another friend of mine was playing in a band. Some of you might know them, Diablo. They mainly do covers of U2, Thin Lizzy and the likes but also have some of their own stuff and are based mainly around the Northside of Dublin.

Anyway as you can imagine the place was bopping, drink was flowing and the craic was mighty. Then my mate took to the stage to make an announcment and introduced Larry Mullen to the stage!! Well my jaw dropped, along with 100 or so others!!

He frequents this pub quite a bit and my mate had got to know him. Without even asking him, Larry offered to sit down behind the drums and bash a few tunes out! They did One first. It was bloody awesome to see this man applying his trade only a few feet away from me! When the song was over, my mate who's the lead singer in the band gestured a thank you and gratitude to him but Larry gestured back that he wanted to play another tune! Fcuk me, my mate nearly sh1t himself at this stage! Then they played New Years Day....another cracking U2 rock anthem, before Larry left the stage to the applause and screaming he richly deserved.

I was so proud along with the 100 or so others. This man didn't have to do this but he did, so unlike many other rock stars out there that would turn their nose up at this. But Larry has his feet stuck firmly on the ground. He has had tremendous luck over the last 25 years in the music business but has never forgotten his roots. He has never forgotten the times that U2 played and struggled to fill school halls back in the late 70s / early 80s, getting transported around in the back of a van. A true hero and great ambassador for this country.

I've attached a couple of photos from last night, I know they're a bit blurry but they were taken from the camera phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Crap drummer all the same! :D

Fair play to him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There's an irrational hatred of all things U2 around here which I don't understand, personally. They always seemed to be decent enough blokes who struck it lucky but put in a lot of work too. Fair ****ing play to them, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Doctor J wrote:
    There's an irrational hatred of all things U2 around here which I don't understand, personally. They always seemed to be decent enough blokes who struck it lucky but put in a lot of work too. Fair ****ing play to them, I say.

Hear Hear.... I just hope it's not begrudgery :rolleyes: .........

Begrudgery? In merry olde Ireland? Surely not!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Doctor J wrote:
    There's an irrational hatred of all things U2 around here which I don't understand, personally.

Is it irrational because you don't understand it?

I think its perfectly rational: average band with very average musicians (in my opinion, of course) get ridiculously successful, people begin to hate it. It may be envy or whatever other term you wish to use, but its my and many peoples opinion. Clearly not as many as actually like them though.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Is it irrational because you don't understand it?

It's irrational in the sense that there is no logic behind the vitriol. Granted you may not like their music, fine, but with U2 there seems to be a malevolence towards them on a personal level which doesn't seem to exist for bands of similar status (although differing nationality). I don't see the reason to get all worked up over U2 and not get worked up over other "stadium" bands to the same extent. They seem, as I said, like decent enough blokes, I know some people who've shared pints with Dave Evans in Rathgar who continually stress him being a good bloke. I've never met any of them so I see no reason to despise them for their personalities on negative hearsay or their percieved lack of talent. They play stadiums and the last gig I did was to about 150 pissheads in Laois, so maybe it's not all about technique, eh? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

****ing love u2. Bullet the blue sky, new years day and hold me thrill me kiss me kil me........love them songs. War and the Joshua Tree are magnificent albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

But anyway...back on the topic at hand:rolleyes:

Fair play to him.

Doctor J wrote:
    Granted you may not like their music, fine, but with U2 there seems to be a malevolence towards them on a personal level which doesn't seem to exist for bands of similar status (although differing nationality).

Out of curiosity, other bands like who exactly?

• Advertisement

Any largely successful band you like, the point being there seems to be a particular dislike of U2 which, in my eyes, doesn't fit with the whole hating hugely-successful-mediocre-musician thing.

Doctor J wrote:
    Any largely successful band you like, the point being there seems to be a particular dislike of U2 which, in my eyes, doesn't fit with the whole hating hugely-successful-mediocre-musician thing.

I'm really having a hard time thinking of any largely successful band on the same level as U2, except for Metallica, who would get easily as much, if not more criticism than U2. So I'm just wondering if you could point out a band for me?

You can't think of any successful bands who play stadiums despite their best days being behind them?

Doctor J wrote:
    You can't think of any successful bands who play stadiums despite their best days being behind them?

Not really, no.

OK, for the sake of discussion (and I'm not besmirching any of the following) lets say the likes of REM, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay, The Eagles, Bon Jovi, **** what have the Rolling Stones done in the last 30 years, etc, etc etc... any band who continue to enjoy success despite not being the greatest musicians in the world, not having reinvented the wheel in the last while, just look at any gig listing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

I agree. He is a crap drummer. He also has an ego the size of Bono's.I met him once and he just seemed like a guy of below average intelligence who thought he was awesome.

So what if he jumped up and played with another band. That in itself doesnt mean he's a nice bloke. He might have been ego tripping.

If he wanted to be 'nice' he could have covered the bands expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The annoying thing about this whole "U2 are crap, and they can't even play their instruments and that's not even the Edge's real beard" trend (which, by the way, there is no point in fighting) is that it rears its head on every second thread created these days.

Here's one quarter of one of the biggest bands in the world sitting down to play with a band who cover them. Don't you think they'd be honoured, even awed, by that? Don't you think it's pretty sound of him?

No, all ye can think of to post, is that you don't like U2 for the umpteenth time and make irrelevant comments about covering the band's expenses. We get it. You don't like U2. Now shut the f*ck up about it. Please.

Doctor J wrote:
    OK, for the sake of discussion (and I'm not besmirching any of the following) lets say the likes of REM, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay, The Eagles, Bon Jovi, **** what have the Rolling Stones done in the last 30 years, etc, etc etc... any band who continue to enjoy success despite not being the greatest musicians in the world, not having reinvented the wheel in the last while, just look at any gig listing

Yeah, maybe it's this hangover, but I just couldn't think of anything.

Coldplay haven't been around as long as U2, so I don't know if you could compare them. The Chillies I suppose are quite talented, Flea at least is a very, very talented bassist, so again I'm not sure are they as comparible to U2. But yeah, never mind that, it's just semantics.

Something else could be that U2 are really the only big Irish band. Maybe people just don't like the idea of them representing the nation, so to speak? I don't know, personally, the only reason I dislike them is that I think they're just a thoroughly mediocre band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Earthhorse wrote:
    The annoying thing about this whole "U2 are crap, and they can't even play their instruments and that's not even the Edge's real beard" trend (which, by the way, there is no point in fighting) is that it rears its head on every second thread created these days.

Here's one quarter of one of the biggest bands in the world sitting down to play with a band who cover them. Don't you think they'd be honoured, even awed, by that? Don't you think it's pretty sound of him?

No, all ye can think of to post, is that you don't like U2 for the umpteenth time and make irrelevant comments about covering the band's expenses. We get it. You don't like U2. Now shut the f*ck up about it. Please.

Who the hell do you think you are telling me to shut the f*ck up. Free country. Free speech. Mein Fuhrer.

I'm no great fan myself, but **** it they've done well where so many others have failed. Fair play to them. I'd take them over any generic miming boyband anytime.

• Advertisement

Maccattack wrote:
    Who the hell do you think you are telling me to shut the f*ck up. Free country. Free speech. Mein Fuhrer.

Calm down there Mac, no need to drag this into a flamefest, we've got enough debate on our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ah, the STFU comment wasn't aimed at you directly Macattack.

I just think this U2 thing has been done a million times this week alone and is sh*tting up what could have been a nice little thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

As much as i hate U2, that is a really cool thing to do. At least he has showed he isnt a snob towards people when all they doin is havina good laugh, and coverin his songs even! Fair play to him again

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I've always thought Larry Mullen is quite a decent drummer. Sure, he's not Danny Carey or John Bonham but he's tight and he's capable of writing an original and instantly recognisable beat (sunday bloody sunday, bullet the blue sky, and so on...).

Whatever you're opinion of the man's personality, he is a good drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Whatever you're opinion of the man's personality, he is a good drummer.

For me about him, its personality..good, drumming...not so good(to be kind).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dave_lee_roth

U2 bore me to tears....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Diablo are legends themselves in any case. They regularly play my local, and a couple of months ago they were having their usual half-time break, and my (quite drunk) friend asked them if we could have a go, so meself, himself and another chap beat out a couple of tunes. Again, we were very drunk, and I think the mics were off, and we were very drunk, but it was a good larf in any case.
    They're an excellent band too.

(not U2, I don't like them very much, but I don't want to get into this :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Sofaspud wrote:
    Diablo are legends themselves in any case. They regularly play my local, and a couple of months ago they were having their usual half-time break, and my (quite drunk) friend asked them if we could have a go, so meself, himself and another chap beat out a couple of tunes. Again, we were very drunk, and I think the mics were off, and we were very drunk, but it was a good larf in any case.
    They're an excellent band too.

(not U2, I don't like them very much, but I don't want to get into this :D )

That was a good night. The mics were off but I don't think it would have helped us if they were on. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Doctor J wrote:
    It's irrational in the sense that there is no logic behind the vitriol. Granted you may not like their music, fine, but with U2 there seems to be a malevolence towards them on a personal level which doesn't seem to exist for bands of similar status (although differing nationality). I don't see the reason to get all worked up over U2 and not get worked up over other "stadium" bands to the same extent. They seem, as I said, like decent enough blokes, I know some people who've shared pints with Dave Evans in Rathgar who continually stress him being a good bloke. I've never met any of them so I see no reason to despise them for their personalities on negative hearsay or their percieved lack of talent. They play stadiums and the last gig I did was to about 150 pissheads in Laois, so maybe it's not all about technique, eh? ;)

This is exactly the important point. Not every music fan plays an instrument, not everyone cares about technique. Technique is only a means to an end. Its only good if you use it to write some decent songs. Of course U2 are rubbish musicians but they are amazing songwriters. The fact they can write such amazing songs despite limited technique is even more impressive. Very few songs are written which literally everyone likes, but U2 have songs of that unique quality such as One and Without Or Without You. That takes talent. Better musicians would probably have never written songs like that, particularly as the best musicians tend to play Metal.

There are few few bands who were as consistent over four albums as U2 were with Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle And Hum and Achtung Baby. Sure, nearly everything they have done since then sucked, but a band should always be judged by their best material, not their worst. They are the most consistent Irish band ever and its great that such a small country can produce the most popular band in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Thats a fantastic story. Would have loved to have been there :)

Fair play to the man!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement