Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why so few historic buildings in Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Thanks. I find that site great for Georgian stuff but there is some missing information for earlier stuff. The description in that report doesn't seem to match the photograph from 1900.

Two islands next door to each other since the beginning of time & for eternity, hence me asking why so few ancient town centre buildings on this island, that's all . . . .

Britain was heavily bombed during WWII yet she still has so many old buildings, while we don't :cool:
    Plenty of old buildings around if you look.
    Galway has a medieval parish church in the middle that wouldn't look out of place in Midsomer Murders.
    Wander around and you will see Lynches Castle, Blakes Castle, thick stone walls, look up and you will see loads of medieval bits still around like old windows or carvings.
    Go into lots of shops or pubs and you will see random thick medieval walls.
    The middle of Portwest on High Street (what used to be Kennys Bookshop) is the core of another old tower.

Go out the country and you won't get as much but there are tower houses that have lasted. Most people lived in poverty - no one preserved those houses.

The ones you seem to be comparing to in England were very much the homes of the well to do, not the serfs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kildarejohn

Thanks. I find that site great for Georgian stuff but there is some missing information for earlier stuff. The description in that report doesn't seem to match the photograph from 1900.

I am no expert on Kilkenny, but from experience of the NIAH descriptions of buildings in other towns, they are often quite wrong. My impression is that the people who carried out the reporting work in the early 2000's were architecturally qualified, but with no specific heritage architecture knowledge or training as historians. They seem to report (as if it were factual) their opinion of the building based only on an external visual survey, with no historical research.

Advertisement