Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shallow concrete steps

• 10-06-2019 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭

I have a series of 3 shallow - about 2" - concrete steps at around 5ft intervals on one side of the house. Just enough to trip over! Would it be possible to get these made into a slope, or any other ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

2 inches every 5 foot is a slope of about 1 in 30 which is a nice gentle slope. You could definitely install a ramp but you need to make sure you put in appropriate drainage or rain will flow down it and possibly collect in a pool at the bottom.

2 inches is a definite trip hazard but is very small for a step - I'm surprised it is not a slope in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Have fewer, bigger steps.

Humans hate slopes.

edit: wait, 3%? That's basically flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lumen wrote: »
    Have fewer, bigger steps.

Humans hate slopes.

edit: wait, 3%? That's basically flat.

Yes it is a very slight slope, and there is gravel alongside which is fine - I'd be a bit inclined (!) to remove the concrete and just have gravel but haven't thought through the implications of this.

If I did change it can you just put concrete on top of existing concrete as a slope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

looksee wrote: »
    Yes it is a very slight slope, and there is gravel alongside which is fine - I'd be a bit inclined (!) to remove the concrete and just have gravel but haven't thought through the implications of this.

If I did change it can you just put concrete on top of existing concrete as a slope?

If the steps are easy to remove I'd just get rid of them, level the gravel and see how you feel about it.

I have a set of three or four chunky wooden steps at the side of my house and one rotted to bits, so last year I took it out, meaning to replace it. In the end it was fine with the missing step, which still seems completely ridiculous but there you go.

Advertisement