Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wenger to leave Arsenal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭Patser

Wenger's out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Was bound to happen.

They will end up missing him.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Didn't see him leaving before the end of his contract but it's the right move for all concerned I think. Wonder will he pack it in or have a go back in France. I can't see him finishing up yet, football seems to be his life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Awww , what a manager. May have enjoyed a good moan, but who doesn't !!
    Nothing but respect for the man. Changed English football .
    Himself and Ferguson , and theirs teams, defined that early PL era. Great rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

End of an era, but the right time for it.

Will miss him in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The fans haven't been showing up of late, the board need to sell tickets, I'd say he was told to pack his bags.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

That period from 97-03 was the most enjoyable for me as a fan. The rivalry was incredible and some of the football and drama was amazing. Wenger was a brilliant manager at the time and really changed the approach to football in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The right decision but still sad to see him leave. Legend and one of the best the league has or ever will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The recent FA cup wins have done little to convince some Arsenal fans he should have left about 5 years ago.

He'll be missed though, was a pioneer in his day but football has moved on and he got left behind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wenger has been Arsenal manager nearly as long as I can remember. Sad to see him go.

It says he's leaving but not retiring. Wonder if he'd be an option for a PSG, or a national team job somewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Will rightly go down as one of the greatest to ever grace the Premier League, and has a strong claim to being one of the first to come in and revolutionise how managers did things.

how they trained.
    how they prepared.
    how you can win and still stick to your ideals.

the last while has been rough, but he deserves to be remembered fondly.

I do believe he stayed too long.
    I do believe Arsenal is his life, and it became very unhealthy.
    I do believe he is fúcking stubborn, and felt in the end that he was entitled to stay as long as he wanted because he 'built the club'.

but he should be given the respect he deserves.

i suspect the Emirates will be a different place for the last few games now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is great news yet also makes me sad. I had only started secondary school when he started and now I'm in my mid thirties. Would love him to win the Europa now before he leaves now.

Long long overdue, it's somewhat tarnished his legacy that he stuck around a bit too long and the vitriol towards him has been understandable and justified (to a point) but it's the end of an era all the same and all the good he did for the club before the stagnation set in should still be acknowledged.

Be interesting to see who they go after to replace him.

Doing it now and make it public will surely raise a few eyebrows from a few managers that might fancy a crack at one of the biggest jobs in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Any managers who left jobs abruptly in the past week or so that could have prompted this announcement?...

mickmccarthytea.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Tutchel or Luis Enrique? Would Vieira get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Had to happen, taken Arsenal to great heights over a decade ago but the last few seasons have been drifting further away from the rest and embarrassed too often in the Champions League.
    Not sure who's on the market when Bayern could only get Niko Kovac I can't see a big name wanting to go to Arsenal as the squad is a bit uneven

The Mig wrote: »

Nah, lads. Break the bank.

davidmoyes-cropped_1budnkkrgs88i15euep3uy8d4l-390x285.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sad to see him go because he was such a big part of football for so long. Probably the right decision but he still leaves them with a very strong squad attacking wise and a new manager could really get them going again.

Think it's too big in Vieira's career to get the job, if I was Arsenal I'd be throwing bags of money at Simeone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Think it's too big in Vieira's career to get the job, if I was Arsenal I'd be throwing bags of money at Simeone.

Agree that its a bit too soon for Vieira, I'd break the bank for Allegri myself but suspect he'll end up at chelsea when he finally leaves Juve.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

The Mig wrote: »

Carlo Ancelotti

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

simeone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's a long road back for Arsenal, but this was the long overdue first step.

Brendan Rodgers could be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I think the time is right for him to go.  Arsenal fans won't know what they had till its gone.  In terms of replacement for him, I think its too soon for Vieira.  Wonder would the Arsenal board take a punt on Brendan Rodgers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Alot of sources claiming the announcement was rushed as American sources were about to reveal Vieira taking over for next season... if it is Vieira its a huge gamble IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Well that’s unexpected but not at all an incorrect decision. He’s a legend who overstayed his welcome, the things he did in the PL some years ago were unbelievable but the club was on a downwards trajectory in the competitions that mattered and it’s time for a change. Hopefully Wenger and the players can go on to win the Europa League now and leave his successor in a solid position to build on with Champions League football next season.

With Ancelotti being the best available at the moment and him saying he’d like a return to England, it’d be a solid choice to stabilise the club in the short term in my opinion. It’s too much too soon for Patrick Vieira I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Leaving the important word. Could well end up managing somewhere else. PSG? Real ?

DvB wrote: »
    Alot of sources claiming the announcement was rushed as American sources were about to reveal Vieira taking over for next season... if it is Vieira its a huge gamble IMO.

Has Vieira any experience? Genuine question, cause I've no clue what he's been doing. Has he been coaching somewhere? Has he been involved with the backroom of Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Has Vieira any experience? Genuine question, cause I've no clue what he's been doing. Has he been coaching somewhere? Has he been involved with the backroom of Arsenal?

New York City fc manager .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

elefant wrote: »
    Any managers who left jobs abruptly in the past week or so that could have prompted this announcement?...

mickmccarthytea.gif

giphy.gif

Advertisement