Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Is there one person who does not know a family member or friend who got compo claim"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i dont either so that makes 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I know of 1 person.

They didnt fall off a swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Another deluded ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Don't know of anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ehhhh, I've vague memory of a friend who nearly lost a thumb in work. May have been an insurance claim as opposed to comp though. So possibly me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I know a few people. All building site related. And they were injured, it's not like they were making it up.

I know a few who got settlements from car crashes too. It was when I worked with the wheelchair assoc. So you know they weren't faking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I know 2 people. One got hit by a car that mounted the footpath and caused serious injury and long hospitalization.

The other had an accident at work that resulted in a complete change to protocol and methods of working, including installation of a lift. Person suffered a number of broken vertebrae and significant ongoing pain.

Both genuine claims, both injured through no or minimal fault of there own both 100% honest.

No issues with either.

I know another that was involved in a car accident, a passenger in a car that was rear-ended and low speed. minor incident, found out years later that they have gotten a significant payout and had claimed ongoing pain that restricted their lives. Which was a barefaced lie. They had a pain in there shoulder for a day or too that they told everyone in the pub about but after 3 days they were fine. Met the guy regularly for years after, he played football, enjoyed holidays, bunjee jumps and parachute jumps.

Big issue with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I know one. Was involved in a head on collision and was left with a metal frame keeping his spine together. Years later he is still in pain.
    Some claims are ****e, but others are genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

6 Times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have one friend who was knifed in school and got some compo but that’s all. I suppose that’s fair enough - a few quid for getting stabbed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

They're going for the playing it down/sure we all do it route.

These guys are going to be cleaned in a GE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well if you include people's who cars may have being damaged we all probably know somebody.
    I know of people who got compo claims locally(I wouldn't call them friends tough because we're not close). Some were serious incidents and they deserved them and others weren't.
    I have a relative who's always treating to sue people but I have no idea has she actually done it.Nobody can really cope with her. She's always reporting people to social welfare who she suspects are putting in fraudulent claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Lot of hysteria at the moment surrounding this issue, narative being presented is that all claims are fraudulent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Don’t know anyone who got compo but my wife is claiming. Genuinely though and all on camera . Against a state body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Add my wigger nephew to the list.

Blew it on champagne and auld ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

I suspect that my experience is similar to most: I know people who sued and got compo and I also know people who probably could have, but didn't.

I know of someone who got massive compo for an accident which was entirely his own fault (alcohol was heavily involved), but given that he ended up in a wheelchair which ruined many aspects of his life, liability was accepted and the insurers settled with him out of court.

I suspect that my experience is similar to most: I know people who sued and got compo and I also know people who probably could have, but didn't.

I know of someone who got massive compo for an accident which was entirely his own fault (alcohol was heavily involved), but given that he ended up in a wheelchair which ruined many aspects of his life, liability was accepted and the insurers settled with him out of court.

Have a claim with the PIAP at the moment, was someone else's fault entirely and the pain is just not going away, out thousands sofar and never without pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Have a claim with the PIAP at the moment, was someone else's fault entirely and the pain is just not going away, out thousands sofar and never without pain

Have you a decent solicitor/barrister? If not, get one!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

https://www.madigans.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I have a large extended family. No compo.

It doesn’t matter anyway. If compensation is legit that’s fine. This wasn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

cjmc wrote: »
    Don’t know anyone who got compo but my wife is claiming. Genuinely though and all on camera . Against a state body

Actually I remember 2 acquaintances who claimed. Smallish amounts and won . Was years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Lot of hysteria at the moment surrounding this issue, narative being presented is that all claims are fraudulent

No. Just that particular one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

My sister was involved in a head on collision with a German tourist on the wrong side of the road a couple of weeks before her wedding in 1999.
    She had to postpone her honeymoon and her movement was severely curtailed on the day itself.

From memory she got 34,000 including replacement for her wrote off two year old Ford Fiesta.

If it had happened today, she'd be living it up on some tropical island.

Well I have employed a solicitor, time will tell how good they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I know of 3.
    1 genuine and recent broken leg in 3 places not sure how his recovery is going. He was knocked down.

2 fake claims
    1 of the 2 was caught frauding and he was still payed out 16k due to the cost of taking him to court being higher.

The other fake payed out over 60k before court it was insurance final offer just outside court.
    He got a new car and done up his house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

don't know any body . Could have claimed myself years ago . Got my hand caught in a faulty machine . They paid my wages when i was out so every body was happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My son got compo after a RTA left him with an ABI. 250k. Very little in the scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A relative of mine sued a Sunday Newspaper and won.
    The paper published a picture that identified him and an article saying he was riding brassers in a lane near a hospital.

His solicitor rocked into court with letters from doctors and consultants saying he was in hospital at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

I know a few.

I also know people who see it as some form of entitlement income, with phrases like ‘Did you get your claim yet?’ , even when there is no concrete claim in motion.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I know of 3.
    1 genuine and recent broken leg in 3 places not sure how his recovery is going. He was knocked down.

2 fake claims
    1 of the 2 was caught frauding and he was still payed out 16k due to the cost of taking him to court being higher.

The other fake payed out over 60k before court it was insurance final offer just outside court.
    He got a new car and done up his house

I'm not saying that you don't know what happened here but it's often the case that people think they know someone is - was faking injury when in reality they just didn't like the idea of that person getting money and thus decide they are - were faking it

Often they are speculating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't know anyone.

I know 3.

One was for medical negligence that resulted in partial blindness.
    Another two involved serious road collisions, where the person who sued ended up in a wheelchair and lived in a nursing home until he died, his personality completely altered.

Serious, worthwhile cases. I don't think I know of any trivial case, although perhaps people prefer not to talk about those in the community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I know one. A family member who fell down a manhole that was not closed properly after being worked on. Destroyed his leg and needed operations and pins. Think he actually got around 50k for it. Not enough anyway as that was about a decade a go and it still troubles him but wouldn't be the sort to moan about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

My dad broke his leg at work and got compensation for it he was out of work for over a year afterwards (surgery to pin the 2 halves of the broken femur together, during which he almost died) We had no income other than welfare while he was out of work.

Claim was settled out of court because the legal teams figured it could be proven in court that an uninsured subcontractor was responsible for the cause of the accident and not the principal contractor. Regulation in construction sector was non existent.

Payout was quite small in the end even by 90s standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭corks finest

I know of one family member 100 pc genuine ,old lady knocked him off a motorcycle, destroyed his hurling career,work for 2 years ,and what he got didn't pay the medical bills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I'm amazed at how high the number of people who know a compo recipient is. I knew this was a problem, but I'm amazed at how much of a problem it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Personal responsibility doesn't exist any more. Neither does proper spelling and grammar. Amazing how many people think loose = lose, advise = advice, reign = rein nowadays. I blame texting.

I miss the days where if you fell it was your own fault and you didn't lose the run of yourself trying to blame/sue somebody else.

boombang wrote: »
    I'm amazed at how high the number of people who know a compo recipient is. I knew this was a problem, but I'm amazed at how much of a problem it is.

Most of the examples given were - are genuine!

Some perspective is needed here, the UK is often used as a comparison, payouts in the UK are very low

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Some of the injuries here are pretty serious to be fair!

It's the ones who exaggerate their injuries to get more money that are the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's not a problem if they're genuine injuries, caused by the genuine negligence or breach of duty of another party who then compensates them proportionately. In fact that's the system working. That FG politician trying to equate Bailey's dishonesty with such cases is the problem, as is the large volume of chancers incentivized by our compensation system.

Some of the injuries here are pretty serious to be fair!

It's the ones who exaggerate their injuries to get more money that are the problem.

Yes indeed but the current media narative is that all claims are phoney, sensationalism sells

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Personal responsibility doesn't exist any more. Neither does proper spelling and grammar. Amazing how many people think loose = lose, advise = advice, reign = rein nowadays. I blame texting.

I miss the days where if you fell it was your own fault and you didn't lose the run of yourself trying to blame/sue somebody else.
    If you're including genuine compensation claims, then yes there probably is a culture of that. But I bet everyone here can think of a case where they or a family member were involved in an accident or where a professional made a mistake which left them out of pocket, and they didn't sue.

Doctors, for example, make mistakes on a daily basis and probably 99% of them don't end in litigation. A good doctor with 20 years service will probably only have one or two claims against his practice in that period, and will certainly have made far more serious mistakes in that time where a case would at least be stateable.

I'm not convinced there is a compensation culture across society. The reason why absurd cases make the newspapers is because they stand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

If you're including genuine compensation claims, then yes there probably is a culture of that. But I bet everyone here can think of a case where they or a family member were involved in an accident or where a professional made a mistake which left them out of pocket, and they didn't sue.

Doctors, for example, make mistakes on a daily basis and probably 99% of them don't end in litigation. A good doctor with 20 years service will probably only have one or two claims against his practice in that period, and will certainly have made far more serious mistakes in that time where a case would at least be stateable.

I'm not convinced there is a compensation culture across society. The reason why absurd cases make the newspapers is because they stand out.

There definitely is a compensation culture, you're just not part of it.

Like anything it tends to be concentrated in particular sections of society, ones that wouldn't overlap much with financial professionals from a well-off rural background.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Add my wigger nephew to the list.

Blew it on champagne and auld ones

He had a penchant for the finer wines?

I knew a lad who was in a car crash when he was young, got a big haul of money. He wasn't entitled to it until he was eighteen.

When he came of age he was on the piss and drugs for a few years until it was all gone. His brain was zapped after all the sh1t he did.

Sad bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I'm not saying that you don't know what happened here but it's often the case that people think they know someone is - was faking injury when in reality they just didn't like the idea of that person getting money and thus decide they are - were faking it

Often they are speculating

All 3 claims are friends of mind 2 of them are brothers. Guess which ones were faked.

Broken leg friend will recover fine apparently I thought he'd never walk right again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Anyone know anyone who has been or currently is being sued?

I do. They contested and won as well.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    There definitely is a compensation culture, you're just not part of it.

Like anything it tends to be concentrated in particular sections of society, ones that wouldn't overlap much with financial professionals from a well-off rural background.

It's a part of traveller culture, thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

The high number of people who know a compensation recipient doesn't mean mean the number of recipients is high.

As with cancer, most people will know of someone who has died from it but many will know the same person who died from cancer, not a different person in each case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement