Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale agreed on house-best approach to giving notice on current rented property

Options
  • 23-05-2020 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

After a few months of negotiation on the price of a house I was looking at, I’ve come to an agreed price that both the sellers and I are happy with,

My general query-what is the best approach for giving notice to my current landlord (letting agent). I’ve been living in my current property for over 8 years. Based on that the rtb indicates that I need to give the letting agent 4 months notice.

My original plan was to give notice to the Letting agent once contracts are signed on the new house. However that won’t align with 4 months notice. Any advice on the best approach here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Ask them? That's the only approach there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I would suggest if you know the owner of the property go directly to them first.
    If you have being letting for 8 years they will likely wish you well and work with your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

We were in the exact same situation when we bought. I got on to our LL explaining the situation and she was very accommodating. We kept her updated as much as possible and agreed a shorter notice period.

Just be aware that the closing date can slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Definitely mention it to your landlord. We did when we were going through it, our landlord was very accommodating. Went sale agreed 21/04/18. He wanted to have apartment we were in free for October, we kept them informed of each step and had no issues with us there longer as another poster said, dates can change, delays happen and the last thing you want is to be worried about where your gonna alive in the middle of it, once we had keys we were out and moved in 2weeks as there was many car trips in between
    From sale agreed to keys in hand was 4 days short of exactly 9 months. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Cheers for responses. We haven’t had any communication with the landlord over the 8 years, it has all been through a letting agent (which has changed hands twice). The most recent letting agency to take over the property took it over less than a year ago so unfortunately we don’t have a direct 8 year relationship with them.

I will definitely talk to them and see what they can do.

Out of interest, for the posters above, at what point did you let your landlord know about the planned move. At contract signing or before that point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

We told her once we went sale agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

We told our landlord when we signed contracts and sale agreed. We were a little different, had rented from our landlord for about 2/2½ years at that point, we had a really good relationship with given the time frame and also The agent we dealt with for the rental and sale was the same.

Advertisement