Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UDM Pro & NanoHD and Sky DSL

Options
  • 01-10-2020 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Made a bit bit of an impulse purchase last night and bought and Dream Machine Pro and a NanoHD access point..I have Sky BB in my house and its very bad, 15mb down at best. I think its only DSL. Anyway I know this gear wont improve my BB but I am in the process of building a house (moving in early next summer) so they are an advanced purchase of my network gear I am going to put in.

Main reason I got it now was the wifi signal is very bad so wanted to get a decent AP so at least I can get signal around the house. EVERYTHING is on wifi and this **** Sky BB router struggles in getting signal in some corners of the house.

My question should I be able to get the NanoHD working with my sky router and long shot get the UDM Pro working with it as well. If I cant it no loss as it will be going into my new house in a few months time all ready for NBI FTTH :)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

The simplest solution is to put your modem into bridge mode, connect the UDM Pro to the modem and then connect the AP to the UDM Pro. This will let the UDM manage all of your network.

You can connect the AP to your existing modem but you will end up with two Wi-Fi networks and you will have to set up the Unifi Controller on a separate device.

I can't answer if the UDM pro will work with your existing network but if you are setting it up anyway you would be much better of putting the existing modem in bridge mode.

When I was configuring my UDM Pro it would not setup without changing the time zone. I used this guide. https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/i2hvyt/sharing_hard_lessons_learned_migrating_from/

My ISP is Virgin Media and what I suggest above works in that environment. I haven't tried with Sky.

I moved from a stand alone USG, Cloud Key and NVR to the UDM Pro and am very happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I Just connected the AP to the sky router and I was able to set it up very easy, just changing the all the wireless clients to it now. I don't think I will bother connecting the UDM pro to it as I don't see the need with a 15mb BB connection its not going to improve that :( I'm just going to leave that until I move into my new house in a couple of months time. Although I see KN Networks are outside my house this week pulling fiber and putting up new poles so I might have that Eir Urban FTTH in the next few week hopefully and I can upgrade an then use the UDM

My Sky router is one of those hubs and I cant even change the DNS settings as I want to use the OpenDNS content filtering. Its such a piece of crap

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement