Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Public Transport for Pope Francis Mass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

AlanG wrote: »
    Any large event run in the state gets a lot of Police and transport support

Yeah and the promoter pays for the Garda overtime and the attendees pay for the transport.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Not really 'good catholics' but rather senior civil servants and politicians acknowledging the historical significance of this visit and viewing Ireland as still a strongly Catholic State in many respects and according to Census data.

Ya just not strongly enough to support the church on most things

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The free buses for the Papal event are in addition to the city services.

The Saturday Dublin Bus service will run as normal with some route diversions.

I'd say the city centre will be quite pleasant without cars. Pedestrians and cyclists will be allowed almost everywhere, with some security provisions.

The normal Dublin Bus Sunday services will be better than normal as they will be starting an hour earlier on a number of routes, again, with some diversions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

spurious wrote: »

The Saturday Dublin Bus service will run as normal with some route diversions.

I'd say the city centre will be quite pleasant without cars. Pedestrians and cyclists will be allowed almost everywhere, with some security provisions.

The normal Dublin Bus Sunday services will be better than normal as they will be starting an hour earlier on a number of routes, again, with some diversions.

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain why these buses must be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So it's only the additional shuttle buses that are free and the regular DB buses are not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Vastly faster loading times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It will mean all the tourists and country folk with their €50 or €500 notes for that matter trying to pay for the bus and grind the city to a hault.

It will make it hopefully easier to get around and people will ditch their cars.

It will mean all the tourists and country folk with their €50 or €500 notes for that matter trying to pay for the bus and grind the city to a hault.

It will make it hopefully easier to get around and people will ditch their cars.

you would wonder how tourists manage the rest of the year.

I don't think I've heard more nonsense in my life than on this thread. Some people will go to any length to justify anything.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Is there anything to be said for another Mass?

• Advertisement

you would wonder how tourists manage the rest of the year.

They don't..... But when there will be so many it would grind to a hault.

Is there anything to be said for another Mass?

Yes..... Oh I love a good mass.....

Put the brick on the accelerater!!!

How many tourists bar Spanish students and airport routes actually need to use DB buses? The city centre all pretty manageable on foot and all popular tourist destinations outside the city centre (Howth, Malahide, DL, Dalkey, Greystones, Bray etc.) are all accessible by DART. The only that I think that might be popular with tourists is the 44 and 185 out to Enniskerry.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Will I get a partial refund or an extension on my Leapcard taxsaver since I'm playing for 365 days access?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Stephen15 wrote: »
    How many tourists bar Spanish students and airport routes actually need to use DB buses? The city centre all pretty manageable on foot and all popular tourist destinations outside the city centre (Howth, Malahide, DL, Dalkey, Greystones, Bray etc.) are all accessible by DART. The only that I think that might be popular with tourists is the 44 and 185 out to Enniskerry.

There are a few hotels outside the city centre. Quite a few of them are on bus routes, not Dart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭john boye

Yes..... Oh I love a good mass.....

Put the brick on the accelerater!!!

I thought the first one went very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Allinall wrote: »
    I’d imagine it’s a lot more accurate than a straw poll of boards posters.

I doubt it. Everyone in my own statistically robust straw poll is a good little modern Irish liberal consensus paragon of tolerance, virtue & progress who rightly despises the Church (full of abusers, clapped out old people, and strange, earnest youths who won't fit in + go with the flow!).:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Have people here been to major events abroad?At Euro 2012 in Poland, a match ticket entitled the holder to free public transport in the city during match day.A similar situation operated at Russia 2018
    For the Ireland match at Gelsenkirchen in October 2014, a match ticket entitled the holder to free regional and city transport En route to the stadium and also was valid for the return journey.
    I also think there were special transport arrangements for Londpn 2012 but I did not attend.
    A match ticket for Euro 2016 also gave me free city travel in Bordeaux and Lille during Match day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

vid36 wrote: »
    Have people here been to major events abroad?At Euro 2012 in Poland, a match ticket entitled the holder to free public transport in the city during match day.A similar situation operated at Russia 2018
    For the Ireland match at Gelsenkirchen in October 2014, a match ticket entitled the holder to free regional and city transport En route to the stadium and also was valid for the return journey.
    I also think there were special transport arrangements for Londpn 2012 but I did not attend.
    A match ticket for Euro 2016 also gave me free city travel in Bordeaux and Lille during Match day.

All of which had funding arrangements in place. This doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ultimately who is left on the hook for the cost of free transport? Is it the DB/CIE budget or the NTA budget or DoT? And why are the organisers not paying for it?

Biscuit or cake..... Biscuit or cake......

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Stephen15 wrote: »

Seriously? you come out with some bizarre things but this is a puzzler.

As an example; I live in Clondalkin and see tourists on the 13 & 69 year round. They are going to the cheaper hotels (Red Cow, Maldron Newlands X, Green Isle, Kingswood) as well as the camping site in Corkagh Park during the summer. They also frequent Kilmainham Gaol and the Guinness factory. These are just examples of 2 routes. I'm certain it's replicated across most routes that serve suburban hotels and places of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes there's always plenty of tourists on the 25a/b going to Hilton Kilmainham and Clayton Hotel at Liffey Valley. (Very confused tourists these days since the stop is announced as Clarion Hotel)

I don't see too many tourists on the buses I use and there is a few hotels on them maybe the odd one they don't seem to be an issue. Also tourists generally seem to have visitor or regular leap cards and don't pay cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

Stephen15, lucky you. My bus to work gets regularly stuck for 5+ minutes while crowd of tourists tries to pay cash, runs around looking for change and confusingly stares at refund tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ultimately who is left on the hook for the cost of free transport? Is it the DB/CIE budget or the NTA budget or DoT? And why are the organisers not paying for it?

Irish Rail, Dublin Bus, Translink, GoAhead in Dublin area are all doing so under NTA agreements.

The Translink Derry/Belfast rail and cross border bus services are commercial at their risk

Irish Rail's intercity business are commercial undertaking I believe as is anything Bus Eireann do

Irish Rail, Dublin Bus, Translink, GoAhead in Dublin area are all doing so under NTA agreements.

The Translink Derry/Belfast rail and cross border bus services are commercial at their risk

Irish Rail's intercity business are commercial undertaking I believe as is anything Bus Eireann do

Can you tell me which section of the NTA agreements allows for free public transport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The providers are under contract from the NTA and are paid by the NTA for service provided.

Everyone will have a ticket and this will be a special leap card, they might be 'free' but they all hold valid tickets.

How the NTA are paying is a matter for them, but they will have to cash up with the transport providers per the integrated ticketing agreement and will receive a separate block payment for the operation of shuttle bus services

Translink, Dublin Bus and Go Ahead each have contracts for the park and ride shuttles

The providers are under contract from the NTA and are paid by the NTA for service provided.

Everyone will have a ticket and this will be a special leap card, they might be 'free' but they all hold valid tickets.

that is the first time that has been mentioned. Do you have a source for that?

How the NTA are paying is a matter for them, but they will have to cash up with the transport providers per the integrated ticketing agreement and will receive a separate block payment for the operation of shuttle bus services

Translink, Dublin Bus and Go Ahead each have contracts for the park and ride shuttles

well no, ultimately it is a matter for the taxpayer as it is the taxpayer that funds them. On what basis have they decided to give their services away for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I was going to go for a drive over there tonight for a look around to see the preparations.

Is the area around the cross still accessible?

probably the wrong place to post this question but couldn't think of anywhere else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

well no, ultimately it is a matter for the taxpayer as it is the taxpayer that funds them. On what basis have they decided to give their services away for free?

The taxpayer does not decide how the transport budget is spent, the NTA have an allocated each year to run public transport in Ireland and the money for this will come from their budget. Either they decided to use that budget or the Minister for Transport told them to use the budget. You could submit an FOI to them and ask them. Being outraged here won't answer your questions.

markpb wrote: »
    The taxpayer does not decide how the transport budget is spent, the NTA have an allocated each year to run public transport in Ireland and the money for this will come from their budget. Either they decided to use that budget or the Minister for Transport told them to use the budget. You could submit an FOI to them and ask them. Being outraged here won't answer your questions.

thank you for your useful input.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

De Bhál wrote: »
    I was going to go for a drive over there tonight for a look around to see the preparations.

Is the area around the cross still accessible?

probably the wrong place to post this question but couldn't think of anywhere else...

AFAIK the park is accessible until Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

AFAIK the park is accessible until Friday.

Yeah no bother getting in nd around

that is the first time that has been mentioned. Do you have a source for that?

It's not happening and would just add to the waste of money if it did.
    On what basis have they decided to give their services away for free?

what basis do you think

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Live around these areas on the Sunday, you won't be getting anywhere easily. More reason that the free public transport be open to all.

https://twitter.com/M50Dublin/status/1030106310329737217?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have they said if cycling is allowed within the grey area? I need to get to the city centre from Castleknock on that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maynooth is to be used as a massive park and ride. As it is for any Croke Park game featuring any county from Clare and North already.

https://twitter.com/labourkn/status/1030530615941234690

I think I shall endeavour to have such a hangover that I don't surface until about 11pm :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Have they said if cycling is allowed within the grey area? I need to get to the city centre from Castleknock on that day.

I can't see why not, it's the congestion that they are worried about and illegal parking.

How about motorcycles :)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

How about motorcycles :)

have a ticket for the Mass but on receiving it I see that there is a lot of walking and standing so I am not going to go. It will probably be on TV. The whole access thing seems very badly thought out compared to the last time when there were twice as many people involved. I bet the organisers have their own cars and dont have to think about walking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

cbreeze wrote: »
    have a ticket for the Mass but on receiving it I see that there is a lot of walking and standing so I am not going to go. It will probably be on TV. The whole access thing seems very badly thought out compared to the last time when there were twice as many people involved. I bet the organisers have their own cars and dont have to think about walking!!

It was obvious that there was going to be a lot of walking and standing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm living in Ballyfermot, between Le Fanu and Kylemore. Both these roads are closed from 6am to 11pm. If I need to get to BlackRock that day, I'll need to get a bus into town, walk and then get another bus, and then walk. It's really crazy. Same in reverse. For 3 people, that will now cost close to €40, as oppose to very little if driving. Crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

can you use the free travel all day to go bus spotting? Could probably get all 40 of those new deckers in the day.

Oh and is there anything to be said for another mass?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

antodeco wrote: »
    I'm living in Ballyfermot, between Le Fanu and Kylemore. Both these roads are closed from 6am to 11pm. If I need to get to BlackRock that day, I'll need to get a bus into town, walk and then get another bus, and then walk. It's really crazy. Same in reverse. For 3 people, that will now cost close to €40, as oppose to very little if driving. Crazy

How will it cost close to €40?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

G_R wrote: »
    How will it cost close to €40?

(assuming cash) €2.85, times 3 people, times four buses = €34.20
    If one of the trips is on the €3.30 fare, then €36.90 total.
    If both are on the €3.30 fare, then €39.60 total.

That said, it'd be a hell of a lot less if all three had Leap cards, then even on the max fare it'd only be €21 as all four journeys, even with the Leap 90 discount, would hit the daily €7 cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

would donkeys be OK for transport?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

TheChrisD wrote: »
    (assuming cash) €2.85, times 3 people, times four buses = €34.20
    If one of the trips is on the €3.30 fare, then €36.90 total.
    If both are on the €3.30 fare, then €39.60 total.

That said, it'd be a hell of a lot less if all three had Leap cards, then even on the max fare it'd only be €21 as all four journeys, even with the Leap 90 discount, would hit the daily €7 cap.

Actually forgot about cash! I was just thinking of the leap card and the cap!

Public transport will still be running, with some diversions.
    You could get the train to Ashtown.

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »

Can you get the DART from town?

Advertisement