Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Public Transport for Pope Francis Mass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

AlanG wrote: »
    People talking about 500,000 attending the St patricks day parade in Dublin are way off the mark - one press release said UP TO 500,000 and it was repeated in lots of media outlets - there is nowhere near that amount and most of those attending tend to be tourists or those living in the city center.
    Any large event run in the state gets a lot of Police and transport support as it is the function of the state to serve the citizens of the state. If 10% of those citizens want to attend a visit from a head of state then it is the job of the state to provide support as they see fit - that is the sort of thing a state exists for. It makes sense to provide free transport and it has been done for plenty of events in Ireland before. Lots of town provide free park and ride facilities to prevent congestion - it is very common in tourist sites on the continent.

can you remind me of a time when free public transport was provided for an event in dublin? I'm struggling to think of one. Can you also clarify why it makes sense to provide "free" public transport on the day?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

People talking about 500,000 attending the St patricks day parade in Dublin are way off the mark - one press release said UP TO 500,000 and it was repeated in lots of media outlets - there is nowhere near that amount and most of those attending tend to be tourists or those living in the city center.
    Any large event run in the state gets a lot of Police and transport support as it is the function of the state to serve the citizens of the state. If 10% of those citizens want to attend a visit from a head of state then it is the job of the state to provide support as they see fit - that is the sort of thing a state exists for. It makes sense to provide free transport and it has been done for plenty of events in Ireland before. Lots of town provide free park and ride facilities to prevent congestion - it is very common in tourist sites on the continent.

It isn't a state visit. He is here in a private capacity for a private event

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

can you remind me of a time when free public transport was provided for an event in dublin? I'm struggling to think of one. Can you also clarify why it makes sense to provide "free" public transport on the day?

To stop hundreds of thousands of extra cars descending on the city?

spurious wrote: »
    To stop hundreds of thousands of extra cars descending on the city?

why does it have to be free?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

When Obama gave his speech on College Green a few years back PT wasn't free, and he was actually a head of state. Joke that the church can still get away with this sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

When Obama gave his speech on College Green a few years back PT wasn't free, and he was actually a head of state. Joke that the church can still get away with this sort of stuff.

Well the cynic in me imagines there is some 'good catholics' in the NTA or wherever this decision was made that got this pushed through. To maximise turn up, so that the RCC can try pretend it holds some position of significance in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Well the cynic in me imagines there is some 'good catholics' in the NTA or wherever this decision was made that got this pushed through. To maximise turn up, so that the RCC can try pretend it holds some position of significance in this country
    Not really 'good catholics' but rather senior civil servants and politicians acknowledging the historical significance of this visit and viewing Ireland as still a strongly Catholic State in many respects and according to Census data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Census Data? Oh noes, that can't be anywhere be remotely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Allinall

Census Data? Oh noes, that can't be anywhere be remotely accurate.

I’d imagine it’s a lot more accurate than a straw poll of boards posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

It makes sense to provide free transport and it has been done for plenty of events in Ireland before. Lots of town provide free park and ride facilities to prevent congestion - it is very common in tourist sites on the continent.

Which events? Can you detail when this has happened in Dublin?
    We’re not talking about a free shuttle bus, this is every bus train and tram.

Why should someone going shopping that day be forced to pay their fare when the next passenger going to a mass can travel for free on the same bus/tram/train?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any large event run in the state gets a lot of Police and transport support

Yeah and the promoter pays for the Garda overtime and the attendees pay for the transport.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Not really 'good catholics' but rather senior civil servants and politicians acknowledging the historical significance of this visit and viewing Ireland as still a strongly Catholic State in many respects and according to Census data.

Ya just not strongly enough to support the church on most things

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The free buses for the Papal event are in addition to the city services.

The Saturday Dublin Bus service will run as normal with some route diversions.

I'd say the city centre will be quite pleasant without cars. Pedestrians and cyclists will be allowed almost everywhere, with some security provisions.

The normal Dublin Bus Sunday services will be better than normal as they will be starting an hour earlier on a number of routes, again, with some diversions.

The Saturday Dublin Bus service will run as normal with some route diversions.

I'd say the city centre will be quite pleasant without cars. Pedestrians and cyclists will be allowed almost everywhere, with some security provisions.

The normal Dublin Bus Sunday services will be better than normal as they will be starting an hour earlier on a number of routes, again, with some diversions.

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain why these buses must be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So it's only the additional shuttle buses that are free and the regular DB buses are not?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Vastly faster loading times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It will mean all the tourists and country folk with their €50 or €500 notes for that matter trying to pay for the bus and grind the city to a hault.

It will make it hopefully easier to get around and people will ditch their cars.

It will mean all the tourists and country folk with their €50 or €500 notes for that matter trying to pay for the bus and grind the city to a hault.

It will make it hopefully easier to get around and people will ditch their cars.

you would wonder how tourists manage the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't think I've heard more nonsense in my life than on this thread. Some people will go to any length to justify anything.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Is there anything to be said for another Mass?

• Advertisement

you would wonder how tourists manage the rest of the year.

They don't..... But when there will be so many it would grind to a hault.

Is there anything to be said for another Mass?

Yes..... Oh I love a good mass.....

Put the brick on the accelerater!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

How many tourists bar Spanish students and airport routes actually need to use DB buses? The city centre all pretty manageable on foot and all popular tourist destinations outside the city centre (Howth, Malahide, DL, Dalkey, Greystones, Bray etc.) are all accessible by DART. The only that I think that might be popular with tourists is the 44 and 185 out to Enniskerry.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Will I get a partial refund or an extension on my Leapcard taxsaver since I'm playing for 365 days access?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Stephen15 wrote: »
    How many tourists bar Spanish students and airport routes actually need to use DB buses? The city centre all pretty manageable on foot and all popular tourist destinations outside the city centre (Howth, Malahide, DL, Dalkey, Greystones, Bray etc.) are all accessible by DART. The only that I think that might be popular with tourists is the 44 and 185 out to Enniskerry.

There are a few hotels outside the city centre. Quite a few of them are on bus routes, not Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Yes..... Oh I love a good mass.....

Put the brick on the accelerater!!!

I thought the first one went very well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Allinall wrote: »
    I’d imagine it’s a lot more accurate than a straw poll of boards posters.

I doubt it. Everyone in my own statistically robust straw poll is a good little modern Irish liberal consensus paragon of tolerance, virtue & progress who rightly despises the Church (full of abusers, clapped out old people, and strange, earnest youths who won't fit in + go with the flow!).:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭vid36

Have people here been to major events abroad?At Euro 2012 in Poland, a match ticket entitled the holder to free public transport in the city during match day.A similar situation operated at Russia 2018
    For the Ireland match at Gelsenkirchen in October 2014, a match ticket entitled the holder to free regional and city transport En route to the stadium and also was valid for the return journey.
    I also think there were special transport arrangements for Londpn 2012 but I did not attend.
    A match ticket for Euro 2016 also gave me free city travel in Bordeaux and Lille during Match day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

vid36 wrote: »
    Have people here been to major events abroad?At Euro 2012 in Poland, a match ticket entitled the holder to free public transport in the city during match day.A similar situation operated at Russia 2018
    For the Ireland match at Gelsenkirchen in October 2014, a match ticket entitled the holder to free regional and city transport En route to the stadium and also was valid for the return journey.
    I also think there were special transport arrangements for Londpn 2012 but I did not attend.
    A match ticket for Euro 2016 also gave me free city travel in Bordeaux and Lille during Match day.

All of which had funding arrangements in place. This doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ultimately who is left on the hook for the cost of free transport? Is it the DB/CIE budget or the NTA budget or DoT? And why are the organisers not paying for it?

Advertisement