Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

• 27-06-2017 9:04pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks like we'll be joining you in the main forum now, so you don't have to go to a different forum to post about us not winning any trophies or being screwed at Wembley next year :p

It's been very quiet on the transfer front so far. I don't expect we'll see many signings at all, and will mostly be a few backup/youngester that join over the next two months. I also expect all our main players to still be Spurs players next year. We'll get another year out of Kane/Alli etc... and they'll move on unless the club goes and wins something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Surprise, surprise, Spurs start doing well and they want in to the rest of the soccer forum :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Welcome and enjoy the mad house. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Welcome to the main forum, enjoy the fine dining breakfast, pandas and trolls.

Kiith wrote: »
    Looks like we'll be joining you in the main forum now, so you don't have to go to a different forum to post about us not winning any trophies or being screwed at Wembley next year :p

It's been very quiet on the transfer front so far. I don't expect we'll see many signings at all, and will mostly be a few backup/youngester that join over the next two months. I also expect all our main players to still be Spurs players next year. We'll get another year out of Kane/Alli etc... and they'll move on unless the club goes and wins something.

Just on these two being probably yere 2 stand out performers, whats the market for them IF both were to leave in the next 2 years?

Kane can clearly go to any side and make them better but you guy knows Levy, hes not going to leave him go to a PL side, not for anything short of 150m or some insane, absurd fee anyway, would he go abroad and fancy his chances at say Madrid, Barca, Juve, Bayern or PSG?

Same for Alli, both would be a huge draw for the other top 6 sides in this country but if you look abroad and look at who could afford them, would they spend 100m plus on Kane and Alli?

FWIW, I'd love Kane at Chelsea (not happening, ever) but hes a fantastic CF. The other Spurs player I'd take in a heart beat is Alderwierld, a very good CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,916 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Fromvert wrote:
    Surprise, surprise, Spurs start doing well and they want in to the rest of the soccer forum

If you bothered to check the spurs forum you'd see that not a single regular user of the spurs forum wants to be within a metaphorically mile of the main soccer forum.

• Advertisement

If you bothered to check the spurs forum you'd see that not a single regular user of the spurs forum wants to be within a metaphorically mile of the main soccer forum.

Shame, its not the cesspool some make it out to be.

Match threads can be tedious but the Clubs own superthreads are nearly solely occupied by the supporters of said club with like minded ideas.

GavRedKing wrote:
    Shame, its not the cesspool some make it out to be.

Well your hardly mister popular in the spurs forum yourself Gav.

I'll give it a go.

I do follow the arsenal thread and enjoy it (#WengerIn).

Well your hardly mister popular in the spurs forum yourself Gav.

I'll give it a go.

I do follow the arsenal thread and enjoy it (#WengerIn).

Whats the Spurs opinion on moving to Wembley for 12months? The bad results surely cant keep happening at Wembley or will it serve to be a hoodoo in the early games?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Kyle Walker?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It'll have an effect, but i don't think it will be too bad. A few bad games at the start of the season could cause it to get into their heads, but i think the team is strong enough to not let it effect them that much.
    dfx- wrote: »
    Kyle Walker?
    A few weeks ago, i would have been unsure. But it seems to have gone quiet there, and i think he'll stay. I wouldn't think its the end of the world if he went though. Levy would get 40 million for him, and we've a capable replacement in Trippier (who i was calling to start more games last season, as he's a fantastic crosser of the ball).

• Advertisement

It'll have an effect, but i don't think it will be too bad. A few bad games at the start of the season could cause it to get into their heads, but i think the team is strong enough to not let it effect them that much.

I agree with ya there, I think it will only be the media and opposition fans that will get jump on the Wembley jinx if they dont win their first few games there.

It'll also be a good away day out for fans that dont usually get to Wembley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Whats the Spurs opinion on moving to Wembley for 12months? The bad results surely cant keep happneing at Wembley or will it serve to be a hoodoo in the early games?

I think it could be of real benefit to us long term. We need to get used to winning big games outside of WHL. Last season we had a poor record away to the rest of the top 6, in the Champions League, and lost the FA Cup SF against Chelsea.

Playing so many games at Wembley can only help us develop a stronger mentality for big games.

We dropped 4 points at home last season, that is going to increase no matter where we play, but probably more so at Wembley given that it will be a bigger fixture than normal for mid-table and bottom-half teams.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I think it could be of real benefit to us long term. We need to get used to winning big games outside of WHL. Last season we had a poor record away to the rest of the top 6, in the Champions League, and lost the FA Cup SF against Chelsea.

Playing so many games at Wembley can only help us develop a stronger mentality for big games.

We dropped 4 points at home last season, that is going to increase no matter where we play, but probably more so at Wembley given that it will be a bigger fixture than normal for mid-table and bottom-half teams.

I think with the way the current Top 6 are nearl evenly matched and you've some good, solid sides behind them, Everton, WBA, Stoke, going unbeaten at home and dropping only a handful of points is an amazing thing in this day and age.

The Lane was notoriusly short and narrow, well, not much shorter than other grounds but it was always something pointed out, its only by about 2 or 3 metres on either side shorter than the biggest grounds, how big is the new pitch going to be in relation to the old one dya know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good to see the almight Spurs fanbase joining the hoi polloi ;)

You'll find keeping everything in one thread is a bloody nuisance though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

A few weeks ago, i would have been unsure. But it seems to have gone quiet there, and i think he'll stay. I wouldn't think its the end of the world if he went though. Levy would get 40 million for him, and we've a capable replacement in Trippier (who i was calling to start more games last season, as he's a fantastic crosser of the ball).

Attacking wise I think trippier is as good a full back as there is in the league. I saw him live a good few times for Burnley and as you say his crossing is brilliant . I would have loved him at Liverpool. Think yous got him for 2 or 3 million if I recall. If he had a bit more pace I reckon he would be first choice for england.

Welcome along folks :)

Theres already a thread. :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057757613

I'll merge these

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

As mentioned earlier, on the possibility of players leaving it would take an insane bid for Levy to even consider selling Kane.

If it was to another PL club I wouldnt sell him for 150 million. I don't see any crucial players leaving this summer. The club is onto a good thing with Pochettino and I'd say the players recognise that. Most of them are on long-term contracts so the club has no real pressure to sell (seeing as Chelsea are the only better team in England at the minute, and theres no way Levy would sell to them).

I'd be happy with a young CB and another powerful CM in the transfer market. Also will have to try again for a back up for Kane if Janssen isnt going to hang around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Merge?! They are refusing to just mix a bit! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Welcome back among the unwashed proletariat ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Welcome!

I think (hope!) it's going to be a close-run season next year and I fully expect Spurs to be in amongst the contenders next May. I do think it'll be more than just a two-horse race though!

Welcome!

I think (hope!) it's going to be a close-run season next year and I fully expect Spurs to be in amongst the contenders next May. I do think it'll be more than just a two-horse race though!

Ya, I cant see us or any other team running away with it and winning the title 7points.

I think it wil be much closer next year, impossible o guess who will finish where either but you'd have to fancy City, Chelsea and Spurs as the favourites, Pool and Utd, depending on what business they do could be in and around it too, ditto for Arsenal.

I dont think at the start of last year many would have predicted Chelsea and Spurs to be the two stand out sides, finishing 8 and15 points clear of 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

source.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Ha, it was a joke, thought the :p would give it away.
    I can tell you'll enjoy it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

source.gif

Fromvert wrote:
    Ha, it was a joke, thought the would give it away. I can tell you'll enjoy it here.

Yeah, I'm a moody prick most of the time. Especially when spurs lose.

But in all seriousness . I'm gonna stick around and give this main forum a go. As the Christians said about about the colosseum "looks nice from the outside lads'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Yeah, I'm a moody prick most of the time. Especially when spurs lose.

But in all seriousness . I'm gonna stick around and give this main forum a go. As the Christians said about about the colosseum "looks nice from the outside lads'.

You'll get used to the main forum. In no time you'll be saying the board is only interested in money, random players are not good enough for "our club" and you'll demanding they sign Neymar, Ronaldo and "a world class left back".

It gets a bit repetitive but means you can speed read most posts while looking for the occasional gem.

One word of warning, there are rules about something called "trolling" but they don't apply to things called "moderators" , so don't even question them and you'll be grand.

Deise Vu wrote:
    You'll get used to the main forum. In no time you'll be saying the board is only interested in money, random players are not good enough for "our club" and you'll demanding they sign Neymar, Ronaldo and "a world class left back".

Well I better start as I mean to go on....

Levy out!

Aghhhh, that feels good*

Well I better start as I mean to go on....

Levy out!

Aghhhh, that feels good*

That's the style.

Pretty soon you'll be doing lineups that name 5 current players 4 superstars that the Sun linked with the team on a slow news Tuesday and two others called World Class Signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Welcome spurs fans, we know you have been uprooted from your familiar surroundings in the hosted thread, maybe this in time can feel like home. Change comes from within.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Newcastle fan here but always had a soft spot for spurs since gazza then Klinsmann and ginola. I believe spurs last 2 seasons had their chance and won't compete financially with the Manchester clubs in the future but hope I'm wrong..

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Newcastle fan here but always had a soft spot for spurs since gazza then Klinsmann and ginola. I believe spurs last 2 seasons had their chance and won't compete financially with the Manchester clubs in the future but hope I'm wrong..

It boils down to next season. Most of the first team squad are tied down on contracts with three or four years left. Agents and other clubs will no better than to try Levys patience so I think we will hang on to the players we want this year for sure.

The problem is we are going from an unbeaten season at WHL with only two draws to playing at a neutral ground which will inspire all the visitors. Keeping CL football in those circumstances will be tough. Unfortunately for revenue, sponsorship, ground naming, and player retention I think a CL spot next year will be the difference between the return to WHL being a return to mediocrity or a permanent step into the elite.

I live in hope though. Otherwise you couldn't be a Spurs fan! One of my brothers just bought an apartment half an hour from Wembley. I am planning a trip or two to indoctrinate the one son who has remained oblivious to the magic of following a club that wins a trophy every other decade. The poor bastard doesn't know what's coming!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

In terms of dealing with whatever caused the slow start (lots of early draws I remember) that arguably cost the title challenge, the problems in getting results from most big games last season...do you think the squad was missing something that needs to be added, is it just a hope that Kane doesn't get injured or do they need to bring someone/some position in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hello, is it safe to stick the head above the parapet? :o:pac:

TBH I'm feeling pessimistic about this year, which is usual for s Spurs fan I guess. I think we may struggle to get 4th. I just know we're going to have a slow start in Wembley that we'll all be cursing come May.

Looks like City have opened talks with Spurs for Walker. Thought this wasn't going to happen, but seems pretty likely now. Can't see anything less than £40-£50 million the way the market is currently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40452634

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Looks like City have opened talks with Spurs for Walker. Thought this wasn't going to happen, but seems pretty likely now. Can't see anything less than £40-£50 million the way the market is currently.

Did they not sign Alves ?
    (Stop gap for next season, Then come back for Walker the season after ?)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Mistake selling to an English rival if you ask me. Ship him off to Spain.

I was assuming they were signing Alves for RWB, City could be hoping to stock pile some English talent too as Hart looks likely to be shipped off this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

P_1 wrote:

Were Barcelona in for him too i thought?
    I agree but with Levy if City come up with 50 million he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

P_1 wrote: »

We will only miss his pace and that's it. Himself and Stones will be joy to watch though :P.

I hope we invest the funds into Mane type player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

dfx- wrote: »
    In terms of dealing with whatever caused the slow start (lots of early draws I remember) that arguably cost the title challenge, the problems in getting results from most big games last season...do you think the squad was missing something that needs to be added, is it just a hope that Kane doesn't get injured or do they need to bring someone/some position in?

Not sure I agree with this point. They got 19/36 points compared to Chelsea's 25/36 against teams from the top 7.

Its not like they were appalling for those 'Big' games. A few early draws cost the team some points alright but they were ahead of Chelsea at the end of September iirc. When Chelsea went on their amazing run from then on the damage was done. Spurs winning run came just to late in the season for them to ever put real pressure on.

A fast start is crucial I believe as its something that hasnt been seen under Pochettino yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Welcome to the main forum. I see a few of you have set up a separate forum which will he a pity but that's their right a good active thread in here needs a certain amount of posters to keep it going.

Some posters can be a pain in the hole and are totally intent on wumming but by and large people are sound. Mostly they stay out of each other's threads unless they have something constructive to say. The match threads a stinking pile of crap but most clubs fans don't bother with them and discuss the games within the super threads. It's against the rules but seems to be allowed anyway.

You'll soon figure out who to ignore and who to interact with.

Good luck.

If you told me 2 or 3 seasons ago that we'd get 20 million nevermind 40m+ plus for Walker I'd have said you were crazy. He's only become consistent under Poch, he was a liability under AVB, Sherwood and HR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The superthreads pretty much keep themselves to themselves.

Don't think you have too much to worry about

Enjoy your new home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Jayop wrote: »
    Welcome to the main forum. I see a few of you have set up a separate forum which will he a pity but that's their right a good active thread in here needs a certain amount of posters to keep it going.

Some posters can be a pain in the hole and are totally intent on wumming but by and large people are sound. Mostly they stay out of each other's threads unless they have something constructive to say. The match threads a stinking pile of crap but most clubs fans don't bother with them and discuss the games within the super threads. It's against the rules but seems to be allowed anyway.

You'll soon figure out who to ignore and who to interact with.

Good luck.

Thanks for the warm welcome Jay.
    I will miss our own little forum made plenty of friends there.

As for the wind up stuff I must hold my hand up as I retaliated and wound up Manu , pool ,arsenal, and most deserving where the majority of Chelsea fan's and mods who showed zero class last season. (Kev1.3 aside)

I am not looking forward to this season at well to be honest we will be doing very well if we stay in the top 4 again imho.
    As someone mentioned a fast start is critical

I'm not liking how quiet it is on the transfer front. We need a few players to, at the very least, strengthen our bench. Most teams around us have already improved, and will almost certainly do more business, so i hope we have at least some prospects on the horizon.

I'm not liking how quiet it is on the transfer front. We need a few players to, at the very least, strengthen our bench. Most teams around us have already improved, and will almost certainly do more business, so i hope we have at least some prospects on the horizon.

I said it on the real forum, that I would love an upgrade or two but, realistically, I would be happy with no changes. If Rose, Winks and, who knows, even Lamela, come back fit we would have a stronger team than finished with 10 wins out of 11.

The best we can hope to afford is maybe 16 genuine PL players with another half dozen League Cup / injury crisis fillers / promising youth. With one or two injuries all the top players are getting regular football and there is no-one sitting on the bench with a face like a slapped baby's arse (eg Willian at Chelsea). That's OK for Chelsea because there are very few places their players can go that aren't a downgrade in wages or status but Poch has to keep a happy camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

One positive for ye has to be the complete lack of any real links of your best players moving elsewhere. Crazy how few links there have been given the seasons you've had.

I can see this thread has been going for nearly a week, but I just saw it for the first time now. Welcome to the Jungle, lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

question - why have Spurs not really pushed on with some big transfers ?

Last year felt you needed another striker , to assist Kane , think you need still need one and some back-up elsewhere .

Is the new stadium eating all funds, thought Lewis would have money to push ahead on both fronts ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement