Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 MLB Postseason Chat

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

His policies got them within 2 games of 3 World Series appearences in a row. That, no matter how its achieved, is to be admired.

Sure, he's made some questionable decisions with regards the future of the franchise that have already been mentioned in this thread and have more money to play with than most teams.

In saying that, they'll still be strong favourites in the NL East next year, and there's time to sort out the farm before the core of their very talented team needs to be replaced.

There is a tendancy of some teams to focus too much on the future, in my opinion. Phillies have focused on the present and its working quite well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tumbling_dice

Well that's where we disagree, Jack. I think Lee is every bit as good as Halladay, postseason, regular season, spring training. He doesn't have a comparable career, but the guy's got some skills now.

And, sorry, I'm not backing down on Ruben. He was only appointed GM the day after they won in '08. He was assistant GM for ten years before that so it's not like he gets no credit, he was involved. But consider that since he's got the big job, there's been the Ibanez deal, the Halladay trade (I know, I know!) and the Howard contract. I know they got Lee in that time too, they got Oswalt, Polanco was a decent signing. Overall, I think he's done a lot more harm than good.

But I don't like the Phillies so what do I care?!

I agree that some teams are too focused on the future. Flags fly forever. But I can't see how Ruben was concentrating on anything. Howard's contract wasn't even up this year. I know everyone is with me on that one but still. Beyond mental.

Yeah, the Howard contract was a bit silly, but he's a hero in Philadelphia and he's still one of the best power hitters in the league. As a Padre fan, it upsets me 'cos it all but ends out chances of re-signing Adrian Gonzalez. If Howard can get that kind of contract, Gonzalez should be able to as well. Just not in San Diego.

As for Halladay Vs Lee, I still think they made the right choice. Doc is a Philly for the next 4 years, probably. Lee was an unknown factor. I think we'd all be surprised if he ended up anywhere but The Bronx next year. Getting Doc before the Yankees could start a bidding war was a good move, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Anyone watch the game last night?

Pretty wrecked this morning after staying up for it.

Looked like it was gonna be a disastrous start for the Giants - they were all over the place in the first two innings. Rangers missed a good opportunity last night and Washington is really going to have to consider Vlad's position at Right Field in defence. He looked terribly slow to get to the ball all night.

Roll on tonight.!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Uriel. wrote: »
    Anyone watch the game last night?

Pretty wrecked this morning after staying up for it.

Looked like it was gonna be a disastrous start for the Giants - they were all over the place in the first two innings. Rangers missed a good opportunity last night and Washington is really going to have to consider Vlad's position at Right Field in defence. He looked terribly slow to get to the ball all night.

Roll on tonight.!

Yep, stayed up for it alright. Very entertaining game, if a little ridiculous at times. Gurerro at RF was a bit of a disaster but even Andrus struggled defensively (nerves?). Add in the fact that 2 ace pitchers looked surprisingly hittable and it was a great watch.

Not sure I can do tonight as I fly to New York first thing tomorrow but if I were a betting man, and I may be, I would fancy Giants again. Matt Cain is awesome and Rangers will definitely be rocked by last night after being favourites. I'm sticking to my Giants in 5 prediction. Unfortunately looks like I might miss the rest of the series. :(

Go Giants!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just watched a recording of it (can't do the weekday all-nighters!). I had to avoid the internet all day to avoid the score and had to rudely stop someone from accidentally telling me the score as she thought I had watched it (God only knows how she heard it).

Just shows how little the 'experts' know. Wasn't this supposed to be a 2-1 game or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Thought maybe you baseball fans might get a kick out of seeing Steve Perry and 43,000 friends who never "Stop Believing". I thought he should have better seats...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Steve Perry seems to have fallen on hard times!!! Great vid... The stadium is seriously good, if anyone gets a chance they should go to a game there, couldnt praise it high enough.. p.s Texas showing some life... lead heading to the ninth, time for feliz

Pat Burrell needs to be benched.. really quickly.. looks like the guy the rays had earlier in the season..

.. and Texas back in this WS.. now if they only decide to go with Cliff Lee on short rest in Game 4. It has to be better than Tommy Hunter. and you get Lee again in Game 7 if it goes that far. Surely a no brainer..

• Advertisement

I agree. They'd be mad not to go with Lee and I reckon they will unless he's hurt.

Giants only need one win in Texas, though, and Lee can't start both. I can't see the Rangers taking both games back in San Fran.

I'm sure they'd start Lee if they could. He must just not be comfortable on short rest. Anyway, best to have him in top condition for game 5. They should be starting Holland tonight, notwithstanding his nightmare the other night. He's still a lot better than Hunter.

Doesnt say much for Lee if he's not willing to go on short rest.. Its the World Series after all.. Not a horse type mentality is it. Watch now Hunter will go and throw a gem!!

Or maybe not.

Even if Lee throws a perfect game now, I don't think it'll make any difference. What are the odds on the Rangers winning one game in AT&T Park, let alone two?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Quite the party atmosphere here in the Bay Area. I'm over on the East side, but still plenty of Orange.

SF has made a deal with Fox to televise at least tonight's game on a big jumbotron in the Civic Centre park. If the Giants don't win today, they may or may not have a repeat tomorrow.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

I`d say there`s some atmosphere over there. Id like to see Giants win the world series ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

This is what we were expecting game 1 from lincecum and lee;excellent pitching duel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

San Fran World Champs; and deserved too. Great final game

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Good game it was indeed , disappointing season for the Mets though . Glad to see that the Giants won the world series, a team who have never won it in San Francisco .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Glanced at the Chronicle this morning when I got my coffee. The type editors had reached for the "End of the World Font", there was nothing but 'Giants Win It' on the top half of the paper.

NTM

• Advertisement

disappointing season for the Mets though .

And it isn't going to get much better next season! OK there's a new GM who apprently is pretty good but there's a lot of dead contracts they won't be able to shift (Castillo, Perez) and they're still going to have to pay Minaya his few million. So the payroll's going to be down on this year's and they aren't going to be in the Cliff Lee sweepstakes either. I don't know for sure but I don't think they've much chance of getting any of the other premium free agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Rookies of the year:

Giants catcher Buster Posey and Rangers closer Feliz:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5808278

Posey was a great choice. He's gonna be a top player for years, as long as he doesn't get hurt.

Feliz, I think, was lucky that he was in the AL. Loads of great NL candidates. Some decent ones in the AL, too, but not nearly as strong a group. Garcia, for example, would have won the AL ROTY, but was nowhere near winning the NL award.

Glad to see Doc winning the Cy he richly deserved, too.

I thought both Cy Yong awards were correct. I know people are giving out because Felix only had 13 wins but it's not his fault he was on such a bad offensive team. There is too much emphasis on wins for pitchers I think. I think in a lot of Felix's losses, he only gave up 1 or 2 runs.

Ah yeah, Felix was defo the right choice. Wins show nothing to do with the pitcher's actual performance.

Surprised Votto won the MVP so convincingly. Deserved to win it, if you ask me, but I thought Pujols would have got a few more votes.

I thought both Cy Yong awards were correct. I know people are giving out because Felix only had 13 wins but it's not his fault he was on such a bad offensive team. There is too much emphasis on wins for pitchers I think. I think in a lot of Felix's losses, he only gave up 1 or 2 runs.

I agree. Some people, however, are still not getting it.

http://deadspin.com/5696462/crazy-old-coots-still-bemoaning-felix-hernandezs-cy-young-award

Advertisement