Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek Bike found on M7

Options
  • 07-03-2018 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Good morning all,

I found a Trek racing bike yesterday on the M7 which may have come off a car. It was located near junction 15 for Monastervin/ Killenard / Ballybrittas as you head for Dublin. On first impression it doesn't seem to have come off too bad.

It has a few identifying features so could the rightful owner please step forward or could you please pass the word around.

Cheers, Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Not something you read every day, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If its a red Madone 9.9 then its mine. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bit of a long shot but the owner may have registered the serial number with the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

It could have been a get away bicycle and switched bikes on the M7 to avoid detection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Is there a marathon passing soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

It might be worth considering that it was lost some time other than yesterday - any chance that is has been there a bit longer but covered in snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fair play to you.

Unless it's a ruse to hit the owner with a ten grand repair bill for your car, having run over the bike... :)

Hand it into the guards, leave your details. If nobody collects it within a year, then the bike is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

fat bloke wrote: »
    Fair play to you.

Unless it's a ruse to hit the owner with a ten grand repair bill for your car, having run over the bike... :)

Hand it into the guards, leave your details. If nobody collects it within a year, then the bike is yours.

I wouldn't bother doing that as god knows what way it might be stored. Ring the local station and give them your details to pass onto anyone who may report it missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Well folks I have appreciated and being amused by your comments in equal measure! Madone 9.9 indeed!

I had checked with the Gardai in Kildare and Portlaoise but they have received no calls. The bike, in my opinion, was recently lost as there was no chain rust from either snow or salted roads.

I brought it in the end to the barracks in Portlaoise and we decided to leave it there as it's better to be half way between Cork/Limerick and Dublin rather than the owner having to collect it from either end of the spectrum. - I think the Guard was amused by my inquisition of the type of sheds they had. Hopefully the rightful owner will find it in good repair.

In hindsight, and as a member of Oldvelos(.com), this was definitely the best decision, as if the bike came home to my stable of vintage bikes God knows what would have happened. Just look what happened my Mercian in the recent snow!

25802802517_67d9383527_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bit of a long shot but the owner may have registered the serial number with the Gardai.

How is that done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

I went into a Garda station to register my bike serial number and the Guard stated with no uncertainty that they do not take the serial numbers from bikes. Then I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

How is that done?
    Kissy Lips wrote: »
    I went into a Garda station to register my bike serial number and the Guard stated with no uncertainty that they do not take the serial numbers from bikes. Then I left.

One assumes he meant if it was reported lost/stolen the owner might have provided the serial number when reporting it to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Kissy Lips wrote:

Weird. I remember a bike show in the RDS years back where there were 2 Gardai at the bike rack taking serials of anyone interested in registering them against theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Grassey wrote: »
    Weird. I remember a bike show in the RDS years back where there were 2 Gardai at the bike rack taking serials of anyone interested in registering them against theft.

And you read about them offering to engrave your bicycle from time to time. e.g.:

http://irishcycle.com/2018/01/05/free-bicycle-security-engraving-at-broombridge-and-ashtown-tomorrow/

What do they engrave!? I would have thought the bicycle serial number was a pretty good identity. Is it your name / address so it doesn't require them to maintain a register of serial numbers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Iradio announced it at about 7:40 on their talk show yesterday that it was there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Following your comments I leapt to google and discovered someone else cornered the obvious business idea!!

http://www.bikeregister.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

How is that done?

From what I can recall it was the initiative of one Garda, you could fill out a paper form and he kept it in a paper file in the station. If I remember rightly it was only available as an option at one(?) Garda station, Store Street maybe but I can't remember for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Brendan I may have found the missing link/owner...
    I have sent you a PM...

Advertisement