Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Kodiaq or Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

lawred2 wrote: »
    And will continue to do so

Really, show me examples which are cheap as chips and not something from 2009 for 3k, those were an altogether different beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Really, show me examples which are cheap as chips and not something from 2009 for 3k, those were an altogether different beast

Warranted or not there is literally no market in Ireland for Jeeps. Your car is only worth what you can sell it for..

But not everything has to be exercise in accounting. If it's something you want then it might be worth it to yourself.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    There are a handful of 2015 landcruisers on Carzone atm with 50-80k kms on them. All between €39 and €45k

If you go through the UK I'm sure you could do better the that on that price and get a higher spec one.

I love the Jeep and the Skoda is a big meh to me. No comparison but something would put me off a Jeep if I was planning on keeping it for that long.

If you're planning on buying something to keep for 10 years, I'd stick with what I know and buy another landcruiser.

Just my 2c

Best of luck with whatever you choose.
    Landcruiser are no cheaper in the UK and those you refer to between 39 and 45k are business class, those were never sold in the UK as there was no need, our vrt system demanded a third option between straight commercial and the full on passenger landcruiser, you can still carry passengers in the business class but one less row of seats

Until last summer, business class was 60 k new where as the passenger was 90 k

Business class no longer available new in Ireland and the cheap road tax also gone

lawred2 wrote: »
    Warranted or not there is literally no market in Ireland for Jeeps. Your car is only worth what you can sell it for..

But not everything has to be exercise in accounting. If it's something you want then it might be worth it to yourself.

That's why I have to go to Northern Ireland for one, there are a few for sale down here thee odd time, they are cheaper than the landcruiser for sure but more expensive than the likes of the mitsubishi pajero..

There are no dirt cheap post 2011 grand cherokee no matter how little demand you perceive there to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

1200 road tax per year ?
    plus insurance ???
    How do people afford cars in Ireland ??

jesssuss..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

TomSweeney wrote: »
    1200 road tax per year ?
    plus insurance ???
    How do people afford cars in Ireland ??

jesssuss..

They don’t, they mostly drive crappy 1.4ltr basic models of Asian cars..:-)

Just on the kodiaq, was talking to a guy in the trade earlier today who it has to be said was offering a very attractive deal on a two year old kodiaq, same guy claimed that hardly anyone bought the five seater kodiaq and that say a 2017 seven seater 2litre diesel kodiaq would hope to sell for 30k plus, the otherwise same five seater would not even be worth 20 k, I found this extraordinarily hard to believe, in fact had he said 25k, I'd have viewed it as a hefty price differential as surely plenty of people don't need huge space?

Might be BS

Talking to my colleague in Spain, he drives a VW passat (about 10 years old in fairness)
    Insurance is E400 a year, and road tax is E190 ....

wtf is it with Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just on the kodiaq, was talking to a guy in the trade earlier today who it has to be said was offering a very attractive deal on a two year old kodiaq, same guy claimed that hardly anyone bought the five seater kodiaq and that say a 2017 seven seater 2litre diesel kodiaq would hope to sell for 30k plus, the otherwise same five seater would not even be worth 20 k, I found this extraordinarily hard to believe, in fact had he said 25k, I'd have viewed it as a hefty price differential as surely plenty of people don't need huge space?

Might be BS
    5 Seat would be very hard to sell alright. Same thing happened Santa Fe’s around 2007 or 2008 when they introduced a 5 seat version. Couldn’t raffle them second hand. I think your man is a bit wild with the €20k figure though. Ask him to get you one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Talking to my colleague in Spain, he drives a VW passat (about 10 years old in fairness)
    Insurance is E400 a year, and road tax is E190 ....

wtf is it with Ireland ?

Fraudulent claims levels and lack of a robust motoring lobby. In fairness a 10 year old Passat TDI is about the same to tax here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stand in front of a mirror. Take about a third of your budget in cash and set fire to it. Then punch yourself in the face for even contemplating buying a Jeep.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Stand in front of a mirror. Take about a third of your budget in cash and set fire to it. Then punch yourself in the face for even contemplating buying a Jeep.

What a dopey post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy the jeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Get the Jeep. You've made up your mind. We want regular updates on how you get on with it though. Prove the doubters wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'll be honest I drove most of there line up from 2008 and before and they were terribly bad, cheap plastics and just wear and year really bad.

• Advertisement

I'll be honest I drove most of there line up from 2008 and before and they were terribly bad, cheap plastics and just wear and year really bad.

Completely different animal back then

I have to make sure that I buy one with emissions not exceeding 190, once you are below that, road tax is 750 as opposed to 1200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

You are comparing two utterly different vehicles.

I wouldn’t drive the Skoda personally as life is just too short. The Jeep is interesting but not sure I’d buy one. With a €40k budget for a 4x4 I’d look at a landcruiser first and foremost, and would be more concerned with spec than year.
    Anyway, you’ve obviously made up your mind, so good luck with the Jeep, it’s certainly the more attractive of the two you are contemplating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

OP, If youre going to buy a 4x4 thats over 750 to tax here, you may aswell buy something that resells well and people want.

Theres a load of 2013 X5's in the UK for that 22k, theyll depreciate slower and are better cars overall.

Gravelly wrote: »
    You are comparing two utterly different vehicles.

I wouldn’t drive the Skoda personally as life is just too short. The Jeep is interesting but not sure I’d buy one. With a €40k budget for a 4x4 I’d look at a landcruiser first and foremost, and would be more concerned with spec than year.
    Anyway, you’ve obviously made up your mind, so good luck with the Jeep, it’s certainly the more attractive of the two you are contemplating.

The landcruiser is a good bit more expensive and I've checked UK and Northern Ireland prices, no saving when import costs added on, most of the landcruisers here have quite high miles

• Advertisement

OP, If youre going to buy a 4x4 thats over 750 to tax here, you may aswell buy something that resells well and people want.

Theres a load of 2013 X5's in the UK for that 22k, theyll depreciate slower and are better cars overall.

I won't buy anything with emissions over 190, that leaves a choice of three in Northern Ireland, cheapest grand cherokee is a 2016 overland with 30k miles, cost is 44 k when vrt is paid, anything cheaper and emissions make road tax 1200

Same car is about 85 k brand new here

The X5 is not as nice in my eyes, BMW would be less reliable than jeep, their selling point is all about brand prestige, nothing wrong with that of course

The X5 is only a 2 litre anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

If you can afford it then get what you want, life is short. There are scant few things to put a smile on your face these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

All this talk, I think I want a Grand Cherokee too now.

I won't buy anything with emissions over 190, that leaves a choice of three in Northern Ireland, cheapest grand cherokee is a 2016 overland with 30k miles, cost is 44 k when vrt is paid, anything cheaper and emissions make road tax 1200

Same car is about 85 k brand new here

The X5 is not as nice in my eyes, BMW would be less reliable than jeep, their selling point is all about brand prestige, nothing wrong with that of course

The X5 is only a 2 litre anyway

The x5 is a 3 litre , if it was 2 it would be under 190, think youre mixing up some there.

Jeep has been owned by fiat for years and it shows, The kodiaq is the most reliable out of all the options and the jeep is by far the worst. From experience id gladly go as far as saying the fiat era jeeps are less reliable than land rovers

The x5 is a 3 litre , if it was 2 it would be under 190, think youre mixing up some there.

Jeep has been owned by fiat for years and it shows, The kodiaq is the most reliable out of all the options and the jeep is by far the worst. From experience id gladly go as far as saying the fiat era jeeps are less reliable than land rovers

You are sadly misinformed, Fiat only took over jeep in the past decade, prior to that they were chrysler, their tremendous improvement has coincided with the injection of fiat engines but they also use german technologies

Admittedly I was incorrect in saying that the X5 was not available in 3 litre but BMW are no great shakes in the reliability department, when you buy, you keep a generous maintenance budget, same as range rover

There are both 2.0 and 3.0 X5's.

What about a Land Rover ? are they even worse than a jeep ?
    I love the Evoque ... gorgeous bloody thing ...

What about a Land Rover ? are they even worse than a jeep ?
    I love the Evoque ... gorgeous bloody thing ...

My mechanic says lovely to drive but you must have a repair budget in reserve

Again I prefer the look of the cherokee

My mechanic says lovely to drive but you must have a repair budget in reserve

Again I prefer the look of the cherokee

I've heard that actually, one mechanic was saying it's the land rovers that keep him in business with maintenance :confused::eek:

I've heard that actually, one mechanic was saying it's the land rovers that keep him in business with maintenance :confused::eek:

I owned a Defender over a decade ago, awful to drive and a terrible gearbox, they hold their value like you wouldn't believe however

Different animal to the discovery or range rover of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

never did get the love of land rovers. The discovery was a bad tractor and sitting in the back you had a great view of the roof lining.
    Range rovers are the best thing ever to drive as long as you do not own them. Everything fails.
    Defenders are not cars but some kind of sadistic utility vehicle prized by paris dakar wannabes.
    harsh perhaps....but fair!

To be fair, a Disco 3 or 4 drives pretty much the same as a RR

There are both 2.0 and 3.0 X5's.

There are, the 2.0 is not worth remembering it exists though.

OP if youbthink the grand cherokee will cost you less to keep on the road and be less trouble than an X5 then it is you who are sadly misinformed, good luck with losing money i depreciation and maintainence.

There are, the 2.0 is not worth remembering it exists though.

OP if youbthink the grand cherokee will cost you less to keep on the road and be less trouble than an X5 then it is you who are sadly misinformed, good luck with losing money i depreciation and maintainence.[/QUOTE

maintainence for me is repairs, not running costs, BMW score very poorly for reliability, have you experience with a post 2011 grand cherokee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Personally have always loved the looks of the Jeep Cherokee, even going back a few generations. New version is a seriously impressive beast. The Kodiaq is a nice car too and Honest John certainly has a big crush on it. (I have never seen him give a 5 star rating for any car).

But the comparison is a bit false to begin with. The Jeep Grand Cheerokee is in a different vehicle class (or two) above the Kodiaq.

Personally would probably buy the Jeep, just to be different. In 10 years time you won't be able to trade in any Diesel anyway....soo you may as well enjoy the bit of luxury.

They will both be worth about 7 grand in 10 years so if you are thinking long-term it's a no brainer.

They will both be worth about 7 grand in 10 years so if you are thinking long-term it's a no brainer.

True, nothing ten year old has any value worth talking about and the cherokees I'm eyeing up have already lost half

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jeep without a shadow of a doubt.

Ones a jacked up golf, the others a 6 cylinder, genuine, SUV.

Running costs the only negative.

Eh... I can think of another. Their bad testing recently with NCAP would put me off anything from the Fiat/Chrysler line.

OP, I hope you don't intend on putting any loved ones in it, just because you think it comes better spec'd. You should be looking into a vehicle based on what matters. Toys are nice to have. But don't make the car.

Eh... I can think of another. Their bad testing recently with NCAP would put me off anything from the Fiat/Chrysler line.

OP, I hope you don't intend on putting any loved ones in it, just because you think it comes better spec'd. You should be looking into a vehicle based on what matters. Toys are nice to have. But don't make the car.

Sorry, I don't follow, I've two under three plus a fiancé so yes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sorry, I don't follow, I've two under three plus a fiancé so yes

Jeep and fiat have been having very poor results over the last couple of production years. They have the worst safety ratings going.

Jeep and fiat have been having very poor results over the last couple of production years. They have the worst safety ratings going.

Are they still any less safe than where most cars were fifteen years ago?

Are they still any less safe than where most cars were fifteen years ago?

I'm talking within the last 3/4 years. Have you not been looking it up?

4 star from NCAP.

Pretty safe for passengers, but wouldn't like to be a pedestrian. Same goes for any SUV though.

I'm talking within the last 3/4 years. Have you not been looking it up?

Safety ratings are never a slightest priority of mine when buying a vehicle, I rode a quad bike everyday in new Zealand for a year when I was 21

Just get a Touraeg R-line (262) from the UK. Fantastic looking, great spec, lovely VW interior, loads of power, well rated for towing, superb gear box (DSG) etc etc.

Failing that just get another Landcruiser, plenty on Carzone under 50k and s they are business class the tax is way cheaper than on the Jeep too.

• Advertisement

Fiat are getting some poor ratings because they’re selling models that were introduced 10 or more years ago. They got 5 stars on the old ncap test when it was all about crashing into walls, now it’s about whether you have autonomous braking, city brake, nice big warning labels for child seats, they still crash into walls but they actively dock marks if you don’t have things a certain way.

Just get a Touraeg R-line (262) from the UK. Fantastic looking, great spec, lovely VW interior, loads of power, well rated for towing, superb gear box (DSG) etc etc.

Failing that just get another Landcruiser, plenty on Carzone under 50k and s they are business class the tax is way cheaper than on the Jeep too.

Touraeg does nothing for me whatsoever

Very very unlikely that I would be interested but how would folks view the mitsubishi pajero v the grand cherokee, they are not terribly refined but mechanically, how are they?

You can get a 2015 automatic five seater for a lot cheaper than almost any other in that proper 4wd offroader class

Sat in a few swb pajero commercials and the engine was courser sounding than a Soviet era built tractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Very very unlikely that I would be interested but how would folks view the mitsubishi pajero v the grand cherokee, they are not terribly refined but mechanically, how are they?

You can get a 2015 automatic five seater for a lot cheaper than almost any other in that proper 4wd offroader class

Sat in a few swb pajero commercials and the engine was courser sounding than a Soviet era built tractor

Sound's like you have your mind made up on that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

That would be my advice too, but if it does nothing for you, then so be it. Can't comment on the newer Jeeps because I never had one, but I can comment on the highly recommended Landcruiser, had one and often drive a 2018 model.
    This is not trolling, but ignoring the financial difference I would take the original Touareg dating back to 2004, before I would have the "new" Landcruiser.

• Advertisement
Advertisement