Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To London 2016 Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

If I had a National insurance number from 10-11 years ago would it still be valid? Can't even remember if I had one(assume I must have), or maybe it was called something else. Thinking of making the move back to the UK soon enough and would be handy to know if it was still valid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,352 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yep - as many journeys as you want within zone 1-4 with a travelcard.

Where do you actually get the weekly/monthly/annual ones? Doesn't seem to be a link on the TFL site.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tallyman36

If I had a National insurance number from 10-11 years ago would it still be valid? Can't even remember if I had one(assume I must have), or maybe it was called something else. Thinking of making the move back to the UK soon enough and would be handy to know if it was still valid.

As far as I know your NI number will still be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Where do you actually get the weekly/monthly/annual ones? Doesn't seem to be a link on the TFL site.

The weekly and monthly are gotten from the machines at the tube stations. Not sure about the yearly. Never got one. The yearlys are not worth it anyway. They are cheaper on paper but don't take into account when you're on holidays or just not using the tube. So work out more anyway.

Sorry if I am being dense here. A zone 1-4 travel card will allow infinite travel within those zones for the price of the card? There seems to be a weekly cap for contactless as well. Think I am starting to get it.

Yes the CAP is weekly too but don't rely on the CAP instead of a travel card. If you spent a whole week inside zone 2 but only took one trip to zone 4 then you will be on the zone 4 cap not the zone 2 one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Getting Jobs in London Before Moving

I noticed that a number of Irish people here managed to secure jobs there before moving. What a relief that must be. Using mid-range, reasonable budgets, moving there seemed more expensive than what I saved moving to Canada...

In any case, I did try applying for tons of work in London online and only one company went through the Skype-interview route. Is it really only for high-demand job areas? I've a suspicion that many of those companies only really want to look at candidates within an hour commuting distance for convenience sake, they'd rather not bother with people abroad. I specifically mentioned at the top of my CV that I was moving to London and happy to travel for interview.

I think long-term there's a lot on offer for me; much bigger job market, particularly for my experience, more diverse culture, easier to continue particular hobbies which aren't so popular here etc.

Any thoughts on securing work before going?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

I noticed that a number of Irish people here managed to secure jobs there before moving. What a relief that must be. Using mid-range, reasonable budgets, moving there seemed more expensive than what I saved moving to Canada...

In any case, I did try applying for tons of work in London online and only one company went through the Skype-interview route. Is it really only for high-demand job areas? I've a suspicion that many of those companies only really want to look at candidates within an hour commuting distance for convenience sake, they'd rather not bother with people abroad. I specifically mentioned at the top of my CV that I was moving to London and happy to travel for interview.

I think long-term there's a lot on offer for me; much bigger job market, particularly for my experience, more diverse culture, easier to continue particular hobbies which aren't so popular here etc.

Hey

I think you're right in saying that there are jobs in high demand and others which are in a lower demand. High demand jobs will be more than happy to look at candidates from outside of the UK. I was able to secure one before moving because the sector I'm in, the demand is high in London but small supply of candidates.

I would say moving there with a friend might be a better option rather than going there on your own as that can be very expensive. However, securing a job before moving is also possible for you. It depends on how many jobs have you applied for. When I was securing a job, I remember only 10% of the times I obtained an interview. For example, If I applied for a 100 jobs then only 10 interviews.

Additionally, if you have not already so, contact recruitment agencies as they have many roles that need to be filled and also have jobs that are not advertised.

Muzi5434 wrote: »
    Hey

I think you're right in saying that there are jobs in high demand and others which are in a lower demand. High demand jobs will be more than happy to look at candidates from outside of the UK. I was able to secure one before moving because the sector I'm in, the demand is high in London but small supply of candidates.

I would say moving there with a friend might be a better option rather than going there on your own as that can be very expensive. However, securing a job before moving is also possible for you. It depends on how many jobs have you applied for. When I was securing a job, I remember only 10% of the times I obtained an interview. For example, If I applied for a 100 jobs then only 10 interviews.

Additionally, if you have not already so, contact recruitment agencies as they have many roles that need to be filled and also have jobs that are not advertised.

Hey, thank you for that. Something like 10% eh? Well at least there's something. I have time and money so I'll just keep at it then. I haven't tried recruitment agencies yet. If it's worth a shot, I'll give it a go. I'm glad you got yourself sorted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

Muzi5434 wrote: »
    Hey

Hey, thank you for that. Something like 10% eh? Well at least there's something. I have time and money so I'll just keep at it then. I haven't tried recruitment agencies yet. If it's worth a shot, I'll give it a go. I'm glad you got yourself sorted. :)
    The 10% relates to my sector but could be higher for yourself! :)

Recruitment agencies were good and some were bad. I kept a document whereby I knew which agencies were bad so I didn't contact them further. Also try LinkedIn!

Id remove that from the top of your CV.
    Wait until they contact you before mentioning it.

• Advertisement

Id remove that from the top of your CV.
    Wait until they contact you before mentioning it.

Hmm. Well, if they contact you and you tell them you haven't moved yet, doesn't that delay a negative response? They would see from the +353 in the telephone number too.

What I said exactly was that I'm currently moving and would be delighted to attend interview in London if invited...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Looking for a best guess at cost for a pet friendly studio or one bedroom apt in Islington or similar area. Any info appreciated.

percy212 wrote: »
    Looking for a best guess at cost for a pet friendly studio or one bedroom apt in Islington or similar area. Any info appreciated.

Id say your range will be 850 - 1300 for a studio (850 being a tiny box), 1100+ for a 1 bed apartment (1100 being a tiny apartment).
    But in reality you can pay a few thousand for a nice studio and a whole lot more for a nice apartment. Depends on your budget.

Landlords will rarely advertise "pet friendly". You are just going to have to find somewhere you like and ask if they will accept pets.
    Chances are if they do accept pets they will increase your deposit amount to cover damage that they are guaranteed to cause.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'd be doing well to drop below £1,300 for a 1-bed anywhere in the borough of Islington these days, particularly with any pet charges involved.

This is one of the few explicitly pet friendly ones I've found, not too far from me actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Looking for a short term let for 3-4 months , anywhere reasonably priced worth looking into?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Heya try joining the Irish in London group on facebook it appeared last year and people put up room availabilities a lot and the irish tend to look after each other abroad I find :) there are a few different ones so when you type that in click on groups (as opposed to pages/posts) and its the one that currently has 9,987 members.

As for general sites like spare room, rightmove? gumtree .... take it from me they rarely (never) answer emails. You have to ring. Places go very very quick ... i followed my agent out to his car to do the deal there and then i wasnt letting that apartment go to the other couple viewing it with us :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,352 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm using Spareroom at the moment which is pretty good. I want to get a PC which means having a room with a desk which is rarer than I would like.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I'm using Spareroom at the moment which is pretty good. I want to get a PC which means having a room with a desk which is rarer than I would like.

More than likely you will have to buy your own desk, not that expensive for a cheap IKEA thing or have a look on https://www.freecycle.org/ and you might be able to pickup one for free.

More than likely you will have to buy your own desk, not that expensive for a cheap IKEA thing or have a look on https://www.freecycle.org/ and you might be able to pickup one for free.

My current room has one but the internet connection is about 1mb and my housemate is fairly disgusting, hence the move.

Ta for the link!

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Wanderlust91

Hey guys, would anyone have any tips here. I'm moving too the UK for study Wednesday. Im staying in an Air BnB for the first week and possible second if I cannot find a place. Does anyone know if its possible to arrange a NI number interview and set up a Bank Account without an address yet. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Hi all,

I will potentially be moving to London for a 6 month contract role, working in an office located around Mooregate / Coleman Street.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.5168077,-0.0901648,18z

Can anyone tell me what this area is like? I would preferably like to live as close to the office as possible -budget should not be an issue but I just mean in terms of safety, amenities, shops etc.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Horrifically expensive to live in and a tad soulless - you're better off looking further north or south on the Northern line or along the Great Northern national rail line up from Moorgate. Because it's such a business centric area quite a few places don't open on weekends at all. Amenities wise - should be fine, quite a few gyms etc but same caveats go about expense. The Virgin Active gym there is about 80% more expensive than the one in Crouch End, for example. I'd be of the opinion that for the overall standard of living you might be better off around Drayton Park/Highbury if cost isn't a big deal.

I'm working a stop up from there on the tube (Old Street area), we live in Archway (zone 2/3 boundary, High Barnet branch of the Northern line) and we're quite happy there.

Hey guys, would anyone have any tips here. I'm moving too the UK for study Wednesday. Im staying in an Air BnB for the first week and possible second if I cannot find a place. Does anyone know if its possible to arrange a NI number interview and set up a Bank Account without an address yet. Cheers

You cant get an NI number without an address as they will need to post it to you and it could take a few weeks.

Do you have any friends who you could use as your address?

Hi all,

I will potentially be moving to London for a 6 month contract role, working in an office located around Mooregate / Coleman Street.

Can anyone tell me what this area is like? I would preferably like to live as close to the office as possible -budget should not be an issue but I just mean in terms of safety, amenities, shops etc.

Thanks!

I agree with rainbow,

The area is busy busy during the working week but is absolutely dead in the evenings and weekends.

You will find all the nice bars and restaurants in the area wont even open on Saturdays and Sundays. The same applies to a lot of the business areas in "City of London".

Personally id be fine with living beside work in this area if the expense wasnt an issue. You can easily travel to other areas in the event you want to socialize.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Wanderlust91

You cant get an NI number without an address as they will need to post it to you and it could take a few weeks.

Do you have any friends who you could use as your address?
    I have an address where I could have it sent, would I need to bring a bill with me from that address, ie, get the person to put my name on the bill. Cheers

I have an address where I could have it sent, would I need to bring a bill with me from that address, ie, get the person to put my name on the bill. Cheers

No you dont need proof of address. You just need it so you can receive the number after the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Hi all,

Thanks!
    Horrifically expensive to live in and a tad soulless - you're better off looking further north or south on the Northern line or along the Great Northern national rail line up from Moorgate. Because it's such a business centric area quite a few places don't open on weekends at all. Amenities wise - should be fine, quite a few gyms etc but same caveats go about expense. The Virgin Active gym there is about 80% more expensive than the one in Crouch End, for example. I'd be of the opinion that for the overall standard of living you might be better off around Drayton Park/Highbury if cost isn't a big deal.

I'm working a stop up from there on the tube (Old Street area), we live in Archway (zone 2/3 boundary, High Barnet branch of the Northern line) and we're quite happy there.
    I agree with rainbow,

The area is busy busy during the working week but is absolutely dead in the evenings and weekends.

You will find all the nice bars and restaurants in the area wont even open on Saturdays and Sundays. The same applies to a lot of the business areas in "City of London".

Personally id be fine with living beside work in this area if the expense wasnt an issue. You can easily travel to other areas in the event you want to socialize.

I work next door to St Pauls and walk by this area everyday (Gresham St) on the way to Liv St Station. Are there even places to live around here? It's all offices isn't it?

As above with kirby and BA, it'll be perfectly safe but dead at the weekend (Friday evening will be busy though!). There are so many transport connections close by that you could choose to live in quite a few areas for quite easy access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I agree with rainbow,

theteal wrote: »
    I work next door to St Pauls and walk by this area everyday (Gresham St) on the way to Liv St Station. Are there even places to live around here? It's all offices isn't it?

As above with kirby and BA, it'll be perfectly safe but dead at the weekend (Friday evening will be busy though!). There are so many transport connections close by that you could choose to live in quite a few areas for quite easy access.

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses. Would you be able to recommend some areas I can look at that would make sense?

What's important to me is:

- Proximity to Coleman Street area (or easy, quick public transport to this area)
    - Safe and secure
    - Easy transport to City Airport or Stansted Airport

What's not important to me is:

- Social life (I won't be in Lodon most weekends)
    - Expense/Cost (Company is paying for it)

Ideally I'm looking for a serviced apartment, where what I'm paying weekly/monthly incorporates all bills too.

A couple of places I had been looking at briefly - any feedback?

https://search.savills.com/list#/r/detail/gbsxreisl120145l
    https://search.savills.com/list#/r/detail/gbdoredol140200l
    https://www.foxtons.co.uk/short-let-in-spitalfields/chpk0278333

You wont find much in the areas you are looking that would be considered unsafe.
    Your first link would be my choice. Nice big place, old street area is nice. Some nice bars around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That first one is literally right across the road from my office. Oh how I'd like to live there.

30 minutes to London City Airport.

<5 minute stroll to where you're based.

Advertisement