Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Socket Sets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

mullingar wrote: »
    Bit pricey for most here, but this is a fabulous tool chest set, I've one and it's well worth the price.

The Halfords Industrial 3 set, this is about 5.5ft tall!

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212500&productId=1332868&storeId=11101

If you're anywhere near the border head over to Halfords there, its only €398 for the 3 boxes at the current exchange rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

If you're anywhere near the border head over to Halfords there, its only €398 for the 3 boxes at the current exchange rate.

You mean €459?

khamilto wrote: »
    You mean €459?

Yes, I dont know how I managed to make that mistake. Still, €40 is nothing to sniff at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Waiting until they promote their torx/hex sockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Love how they're Metric sets yet the drive size is still Imperial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Has anyone returned any of the halfords advances stuff for issues with the case getting damaged? Have it a few years tools are still fine but case hardy locks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Waiting until they promote their torx/hex sockets.
    Me too - the small 7 or 8 piece torx, skt-only sets. But I've never seen them discounted - only the large, complete sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Not sure if it's any good but I think you can buy empty cases from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pique wrote: »
    The bigger ones are a mix of metric and imperial.
    Imperial drive size is the standard to be fair,

No more bizzare than tyre sizes having metric widths and wheels having radius in inches,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Better than half price Halfords Advanced socket sets, again , just the usual ones.
    http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets?partnumber=616353,303468,303484,169466,278619,278718,433094%22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Better than half price Halfords Advanced socket sets, again , just the usual ones.
    http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets?partnumber=616353,303468,303484,169466,278619,278718,433094%22
    Are the same sets offered each time or does it vary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Are the same sets offered each time or does it vary?
    The 200 piece is the one to watch and go for. A lot of us here got it for €150 last year. Fabulous kit with everything you could possibly need as a general DIYer.

dodzy wrote: »
    The 200 piece is the one to watch and go for. A lot of us here got it for €150 last year. Fabulous kit with everything you could possibly need as a general DIYer.

You'll need a decent set of deep sockets as the ones in that kit aren't true deep sockets, as I learned to my dismay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

The halfords deep sockets are more of a long socket as the hex shape only goes in so far.

But I prefer it as it prevents the nut going too deep into the socket and you have a rough idea how much further the nut has to be turned before its home. In a deep socket the nut could be anywhere inside the length on the socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Is 192 as low as it will go or does it get cheaper on the day ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is 192 as low as it will go or does it get cheaper on the day ?
    It's been a while since it hit the 150 mark. Really depends on your funds and needs. Personally, I think its a great piece of kit and that sub 200 quid is a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

It's been a while since it hit the 150 mark. Really depends on your funds and needs. Personally, I think its a great piece of kit and that sub 200 quid is a good price.

Yup , there is plenty of stuff there for that money really . I'm in no rush for it so could hold out if I thought it would drop a decent chunk more

The halfords deep sockets are more of a long socket as the hex shape only goes in so far.

But I prefer it as it prevents the nut going too deep into the socket and you have a rough idea how much further the nut has to be turned before its home. In a deep socket the nut could be anywhere inside the length on the socket.

When you need deep sockets, you need deep sockets! The ones in this are just normal sockets that are physically longer which is...mostly pointless in my experience.

I've never particularly liked any of the ratchets, none of the 3 grip any of the sockets securely (one initially didn't lock at all, I replaced that and the new one locks but is never secure).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Socket discussion split to its own thread from the Halfords thread.

I left Halfords out of the title to allow BA's from any B&M shop or online.

Any issues please use the report button report.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

64 piece set, apparently reduced from ?140 in UK, down to ?60 here...

433094?w=637&h=403

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-64-piece-socket-set-1-4-3-8

64 piece set, apparently reduced from ?140 in UK, down to ?60 here...

433094?w=637&h=403

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-64-piece-socket-set-1-4-3-8

Its €60 in ROI and its €68 trade price in ROI. However its retail price in UK is not £140, at the moment its £50 (€56.97) and the trade price in the UK is only £40 (€45.58).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone ever tried using a southern trade card in the north?

5500 wrote: »
    Anyone ever tried using a southern trade card in the north?

It does not work.

I live right next to the border and shop in both areas more or less equally. When you go into a Halfords in the North just ask them for a trade card and show them your ROI card. Thats what I done and have both. I wrote "ROI" in ink on one because they are identical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Halfords 10 piece metric spanner set €6

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/spanners-wrenches/hal-adv-10pc-metric-spanner-set

Also reductions on 1/4 - 1/2" ratchets but reviews a bit mixed on these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

27 adv set down to €15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Have a code for the €6 spanner set for Tralee if anyone wants it. Person I reserved it for can't make it. First by PM gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Code gone.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

27 adv set down to €15

Picked up one and one as a present.
    Had a 10% online code and axa card in store, 2 sets for 24.30
    Bargain!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭GSBellew

It does not work.

I live right next to the border and shop in both areas more or less equally. When you go into a Halfords in the North just ask them for a trade card and show them your ROI card. Thats what I done and have both. I wrote "ROI" in ink on one because they are identical.

I've used mine in Newry previously with no issues at all.

Halfords just cancelled my order for the metric spanner set at €6. Reason: Out of stock

GSBellew wrote: »
    I've used mine in Newry previously with no issues at all.

That is strange because when I tried it didnt work and thats what made me get a UK one. Are you able to log into the UK and the ROI sites with your one trade card and see the trade prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

I got a cancellation call on the spanner set, saying no more will be coming into stock, anyone else get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yeah I got one too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Called into store to collect was told still in picking, got email tonight to say out of stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Farmer wrote: »
    Halfords 10 piece metric spanner set €6

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/spanners-wrenches/hal-adv-10pc-metric-spanner-set

Also reductions on 1/4 - 1/2" ratchets but reviews a bit mixed on these

thanks op
    have these ordered and goin collect,
    but were they standard spanners or ratcher spanners at the ends,
    have forgotten now lol

GY A1 wrote: »
    .....were they standard spanners or ratcher spanners at the ends,
    have forgotten now lol

Just standard spanners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Mine were to be delivered to cork Tuesday but no notification as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭GSBellew

That is strange because when I tried it didnt work and thats what made me get a UK one. Are you able to log into the UK and the ROI sites with your one trade card and see the trade prices?

I have not tried that, but was in Newry today with a friend who used their southern trade card with no issues either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Lots of discounts at Halfords until Monday 2nd October.

Including an extra 15% of hand tools, lifting & storage http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools :cool:

Many socket sets are currently already at half price so now is a very good time to get a set if you have been waiting for a price drop.

The 200 piece kit for example is €210 at the moment, less 15% is €178.50

If you use this voucher
    Halfords-group-scheme (1).pdf
    for 10% off you can get it for €160.65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

guild socket (and tool) sets reduced in argos...

Alfie1 wrote: »
    Lots of discounts at Halfords until Monday 2nd October.

Including an extra 15% of hand tools, lifting & storage http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools :cool:

Many socket sets are currently already at half price so now is a very good time to get a set if you have been waiting for a price drop.

The 200 piece kit for example is €210 at the moment, less 15% is €178.50

If you use this voucher
    Halfords-group-scheme (1).pdf
    for 10% off you can get it for €160.65

Cracking deal on the large set. For anyone that's still on the fence, grab it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

The ratchets fair out well vs snapons for example - pretty sure it's the same ratchet rebranded throughout the world

https://youtu.be/TcSa9_FLVMo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Cracking deal on the large set. For anyone that's still on the fence, grab it now.

Is €210 half price? Has it truly been on sale for twice that? Is that 15% on top of 50% off?

I've picked up a run around and I don't want to be spending big money on maintenance bills for jobs that I can do myself.

Is that pretty much everything you would ever need? Would a torque wrench be pretty much the only thing outstanding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

The ratchets fair out well vs snapons for example - pretty sure it's the same ratchet rebranded throughout the world

https://youtu.be/TcSa9_FLVMo

"What happens when what you're working on breaks..."

My most recent case, 2 broken teeth :)

Have broken my 3/8 breaker bar before, square drive rang off, just exchanged. We've had some sh*t ratchets that broke after one use!

"What happens when what you're working on breaks..."

My most recent case, 2 broken teeth :)

Have broken my 3/8 breaker bar before, square drive rang off, just exchanged. We've had some sh*t ratchets that broke after one use!

Ouch! saw that on the motors forum a while ago 😬

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is €210 half price? Has it truly been on sale for twice that? Is that 15% on top of 50% off?

I've picked up a run around and I don't want to be spending big money on maintenance bills for jobs that I can do myself.

Is that pretty much everything you would ever need? Would a torque wrench be pretty much the only thing outstanding?

Looks like it's on top of the discount

Torque isn't necessary I use the Halfords advanced ones and find them great a cheap one would tie you over

Other than that a good set of vice grips, oil filter tool, hammer, breaker bar, etc

Personally inaquire tools either by bargain or by job which ever comes first

Looks like it's on top of the discount

Torque isn't necessary I use the Halfords advanced ones and find them great a cheap one would tie you over

Other than that a good set of vice grips, oil filter tool, hammer, breaker bar, etc

Personally inaquire tools either by bargain or by job which ever comes first

That's kinda the way I want to go about it.

I have a decent starting point in terms of tools but something like that would bring me a long way very quickly..

I have a few drop links and wheel bearing kits to change - I'd image that set would pretty much give me everything I need? Does it have those XZN sockets in that set?

Like this -> https://www.dunnesfarmstore.ie/product/jbm-impact-socket-xzn-m18/

Because I would need those for the bearing job. It's not obvious to me from the list of bits included..

Has that 15% expired because when I go add the code (Workshop15) I get invalid code.. Is it that it can't be combined with already half price kit?

• Advertisement
Advertisement