Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,877 ✭✭✭✭unkel

elperello wrote: »
    the winter won't be kind to them.

:(

Sounds like you have first hand experience. Like me, I saw my W201 rusting on a daily basis last winter, parked out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

unkel wrote: »
    :(

Sounds like you have first hand experience. Like me, I saw my W201 rusting on a daily basis last winter, parked out on the road.

My Carina hat to sit out last winter and it caused me awful grief. Was not expecting it to deteriorate as much not being driven. It's frankly amazing. disgusted with myself I didn't cover it.

Now it's underground and covered. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

My Carina hat to sit out last winter and it caused me awful grief. Was not expecting it to deteriorate as much not being driven. It's frankly amazing. disgusted with myself I didn't cover it.

Now it's underground and covered. FFS.

May it rust in peace. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,240 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

94 Jaguar XJ6 in Tuam. 3.2L Auto Petrol (according to Motorcheck) maybe not abandoned but definitely neglected. Shame

TOGe61Zh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

gammygils wrote: »
    94 Jaguar XJ6 in Tuam. 3.2L Auto Petrol (according to Motorcheck) maybe not abandoned but definitely neglected. Shame

TOGe61Zh.jpg

Oh that poor girl. It's hard to tell from the pic, but it may look like the water is on the inside of the windscreen. Not good. It'd be hard to see her going anyway but for breaking.

• Advertisement

Caught a glimpse of a car yesterday and took a look on maps.
    Been there at least 10 years according to maps.

https://goo.gl/maps/xHPDxhDa2ERC7oRq7

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Its a bit crispy..

11716437284_341e046252_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

That 305 looked "somewhat" ok in the 2009 Google street view but collapsing by 2018. Does parking an old car in a shaded area/under trees accelerate corrosion significantly - better to have it out in the open and south facing?

BrianD3 wrote: »
    That 305 looked "somewhat" ok in the 2009 Google street view but collapsing by 2018. Does parking an old car in a shaded area/under trees accelerate corrosion significantly - better to have it out in the open and south facing?

Under tress the collect loads of ****e and the rain pools

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Under tress the collect loads of ****e and the rain pools

Moss forms in the damp and leaves and debris block drainage hastening the inevitable.

If you want to preserve an old car build a shed first or you will end up with a "shed".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

good advice and if you can't run to a dry garage a large car port with a good draught through it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

On the shores of Lough Derg. Poor oul thing.

IMG-20201215-143452.jpg

The alloys are spotless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

^ A 280, if it was a 500 I'd be up there just for the engine alone.
    Still a shame. Someone somewhere must have had a barn they could have shoved it into for a few years until she hits 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hamburg

On the shores of Lough Derg. Poor oul thing.

IMG-20201215-143452.jpg

The alloys are spotless.
    man, it looks like it was just dragged out of lough derg !

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

About a year ago I took a few pictures of some old VWs parked on the side of the road outside Castlemaine. Took a few more pics today, some of them are still there, maybe a few new ones...

537232.jpg

newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=115386894

537234.jpg

537235.jpg

537237.jpg

Looks like a view t25s, 2 BMC 1100s, one being a a Vanden Plas, is that a Standard Vanguard? Mini and a beetle behind the hedge, series 3 jag, half a camper, the old registered Discovery looks like the tow wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

He has a few rare T3 Syncros in the field behind the house. Well he did when I went down to see him a few years ago. He had a Swiss Post Office Syncro delivery van which was quite rare in that it was a LHD bodyshell with RHD driving position and a semi walkthrough bulkhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Testacalda wrote: »
    About a year ago I took a few pictures of some old VWs parked on the side of the road outside Castlemaine. Took a few more pics today, some of them are still there, maybe a few new ones...

Looks like a view t25s, 2 BMC 1100s, one being a a Vanden Plas, is that a Standard Vanguard? Mini and a beetle behind the hedge, series 3 jag, half a camper, the old registered Discovery looks like the tow wagon

Standard Vanguard all right.

The Vanden Plas is an Allegro.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

elperello wrote: »
    The Vanden Plas is an Allegro.

your right there, my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

still much the same, they did have a motor museum there . I don't know how they get away with the state of the raodside.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not sure if a Renault Clio counts as a classic

20201230-152111.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

neris wrote: »
    Not sure if a Renault Clio counts as a classic

20201230-152111.jpg

Is that a volvo 740/60 behind it?

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Is that a volvo 740/60 behind it?

Its what's left of a 740. Theres another 1 out of shot aswell in a slightly better state but no engine. I'll get pics tomorrow of them both

20201231-153800.jpg
    20201231-153711.jpg
    20201231-153620.jpg
    20201231-153819.jpg
    20201231-153609.jpg
    Soviet jeep which I think still runs but has been in the same spot for years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I put this up here 3 or 4 years ago. Sorry to see it not moved and in worse condition. Beara peninsula.

IMG-20210101-130040.jpg

IMG-20210101-130058.jpg

Wonder if someone has had the chassis plate off that for a Discovery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Strange that its LHD too.. parts salvage at best. I know of a lad who would have that roof rack in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Courtlough.

Xz7l4qih.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

w124man wrote: »
    Wonder if someone has had the chassis plate off that for a Discovery

Youd want to find a really stupid revenue man not to notice the coil springs on the supposedly leaf sprung series land rover chassis.

Ironically, the plate is much more valuable as a series land rover now.

Youd want to find a really stupid revenue man not to notice the coil springs on the supposedly leaf sprung series land rover chassis.

Sure how would they know? Yer one down in Enniscorthy certainly wouldn't know. All she reads is the paperwork and if numbers match, Bobs your uncle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

w124man wrote: »
    Sure how would they know? Yer one down in Enniscorthy certainly wouldn't know. All she reads is the paperwork and if numbers match, Bobs your uncle!

While putting a disco body on a classic range rover chassis is perfectly legal, giving a discovery the identity of a series land rover is simply fraud. Relying on their general incompetence or benign disinterest may not be the end of your worries!

Advertisement