Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

jay0109 wrote: »
    Racism is a pandemic (including here in Ireland) according to the lad on now so the march going ahead last week and next Saturday is ok with him. Sara lets him off with that.

Clare Daly supports that viewpoint...these protests cannot and shouldn't be stopped. I hope her voters are listening

I'm all for taking a stand against against injustice (I obviously missed the protests against the mistreatment of the Uighur minority outside the Chinese embassy or against the Khashoggi killing outside the Saudi embassy), but justifying and encouraging mass gatherings at this time needs to be challenged.

I think Sarah Mc has been doing a good job. She's taken a plunge for me after that dire lack of questioning...truly abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Orion wrote: »
    I'm sorry if you're offended.

Universities award PhDs for extended work on a topic. It's not a course. Educate yourself and maybe you'll become more tolerant.

We should never tolerate the likes of Ebun Joseph who lie their ass off for a chance to get more state funding and a higher public profile. She's an utter charlatan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Ireland as most countries has some casual racism but I think some of this comes from people growing up with not many other nationalities or ethnicities around, Ireland was a lot different just 20 years ago.

But what really doesn't help is the likes of the loons on earlier absolutely exagerating the level of racism here and comparing Ireland to America, it can sour peoples level of acceptance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Racism is a pandemic (including here in Ireland) according to the lad on now so the march going ahead last week and next Saturday is ok with him. Sara lets him off with that.

Clare Daly supports that viewpoint...these protests cannot and shouldn't be stopped. I hope her voters are listening

They would still back her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That Dr was on with D'arcy yesterday and more or less got him to apologise for being a white male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Claire calling for the sending home of the US Ambassador.

Good luck with that. Those protesting the other day want even closer ties with America not less.

That proposition would test their so called liberalness.

Klonker wrote: »
    Ireland as most countries has some casual racism but I think some of this comes from people growing up with not many other nationalities or ethnicities around, Ireland was a lot different just 20 years ago.

But what really doesn't help is the likes of the loons on earlier absolutely exagerating the level of racism here and comparing Ireland to America, it can sour peoples level of acceptance.

I don't understand why the media here doesn't focus on racism here and treat America differently. It's almost as if the killing last week happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

NIMAN wrote: »
    That Dr was on with D'arcy yesterday and more or less got him to apologise for being a white male.

No surprise there then, he is an embarrassment to the male species.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

I don't understand why the media here doesn't focus on racism here and treat America differently. It's almost as if the killing last week happened here.

This is a real issue with the Soft Power that the US has via exported media. RTE however does not have any excuse. We get more US news than EU and barely any international at all, there's no rush to import European media either or indeed any other country. It's US culture all the way

Meanwhile in the US the people are isolated from outside cultural influence by the simple fact that when a US company buys the rights for a TV show like the invetweeners or shameless or The Office it always get remade to a US version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Josepha Madigan has just called a minutes silence in the Dáil for all those killed world wide by racism. And Dáil time has being set aside next week to debate racism in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Josepha Madigan has just called a minutes silence in the Dáil for all those killed world wide by racism. And Dáil time has being set aside next week to debate racism in Ireland.

Its getting beyond a joke at this stage,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

The current circus of a dail hasn't even elected a Taoiseach/Government yet FOUR MONTHS after it was elected.

Does she include racism towards Travellers on that one?

purifol0 wrote: »
    This is a real issue with the Soft Power that the US has via exported media. RTE however does not have any excuse. We get more US news than EU and barely any international at all, there's no rush to import European media either or indeed any other country. It's US culture all the way

Meanwhile in the US the people are isolated from outside cultural influence by the simple fact that when a US company buys the rights for a TV show like the invetweeners or shameless or The Office it always get remade to a US version.

Yep the over focus on US stories is leading us to become more and more insular. The Journal will have several US related stories daily . They just seem to copy and paste anything from US news websites.

Irish Times is writing editorials on Trump. Comical given he's not our president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Great that the Dail have little else to worry about. Like the formation of some kind of government for starters.

Yep the over focus on US stories is leading us to become more and more insular. The Journal will have several US related stories. They just seem to copy and paste anything from US news websites.

Irish Times is writing editorials on Trump. Comical given he's not our president.

Its no surprise the likes of the Journal is on its last legs,

Madigan was the one early on in this pandemic giving out about the Dail meeting at all.

Madigan was the one early on in this pandemic giving out about the Dail meeting at all.

Nothing about the thousands that marched the weekend though.

mgn wrote: »
    Its no surprise the likes of the Journal is on its last legs,

I think the Journal has a poll on US politics every second day at this stage. How is this site taken seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,935 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think the Journal has a poll on US politics every second day at this stage. How is this site taken seriously?

What is it with you and your abhorrence of things from America being discussed. The world is a smaller place than ever before and with the amount of American businesses in Ireland, and Irish people in America, it is to be expected that people pay close attention to what goes on there.

Not to mention the role plays in the worlds political and economic spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Does she include racism towards Travellers on that one?

No such thing.

What is it with you and your abhorrence of things from America being discussed. The world is a smaller place than ever before and with the amount of American businesses in Ireland, and Irish people in America, it is to be expected that people pay close attention to what goes on there.

Not to mention the role plays in the worlds political and economic spaces.

Of course, but since Trump it's gone off the planet with the loss of focus on Irish domestic issues. It's a serious point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What was the course she got a PhD in???? :rolleyes:

one of those grievance studies doctorates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

NIMAN wrote: »

doesnt D,arcy appologize for that every day anyway or is it having a willy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    doesnt D,arcy appologize for that every day anyway or is it having a willy ?

Fairly hefty weapon, they say.

Gave her a swing at a Tunic event and apparently was quite weighty.

So I’m told annaway......:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

padd b1975 wrote: »
    No such thing.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

sligojoek wrote: »
    Great that the Dail have little else to worry about. Like the formation of some kind of government for starters.

Why should everyday Dail business be concerned with Govt formation? That process is taking place outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Why should everyday Dail business be concerned with Govt formation? That process is taking place outside

Fair enough but I'd rather see precious Dail time being used for something more constructive.

I can't imagine all the racists in the USA sitting down streaming the RTE player through a VPN and saying "Hey man, the Irish want us to stop being racist. We'll call it off at noon tomorrow."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

This is ludicrous pandering on an epic scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,935 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

boardise wrote: »
    This is ludicrous pandering on an epic scale.

Reading several of the threads across Boards, and watching Irish people of different ethnic backgrounds on Twitter would indicate that a debate on racism in Ireland is not necessarily a bad thing.

It's not so long ago that mixed race couple felt they had to move out of Ireland because of the abuse they received for having taken part in an advertisement campaign for Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Anyway, back to Sara, I think she is doing a good job so far. Really impressed with the way she handled Pat McDonagh, Charlie Flanagan and especially Mary Lou. I thought Mary Lou really shot her bolt when in an attempt to stop the line of questioning, Mary Lou told her to ............Listen, we in Sinn Fein etc etc etc

Hope she gets the gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Orion wrote: »
    I'm sorry if you're offended.

Universities award PhDs for extended work on a topic. It's not a course. Educate yourself and maybe you'll become more tolerant.

They also award them for publicity and woke purposes:

Here's one -
    This afternoon, history will be made in UCC when activist Brigid Quilligan will become the first Irish traveller to receive an honorary doctorate.
    She will be conferred at UCC today, along with three other Irish people from media, business and the arts. [Irish Examiner]

The bould Biddy is now occasionally described in the media as "Doctor Brigid Quilligan"

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/travellers-facing-racism-over-claims-some-are-flouting-covid-19-restrictions-39155109.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Anyway, back to Sara, I think she is doing a good job so far. Really impressed with the way she handled Pat McDonagh, Charlie Flanagan and especially Mary Lou. I thought Mary Lou really shot her bolt when in an attempt to stop the line of questioning, Mary Lou told her to ............Listen, we in Sinn Fein etc etc etc

Hope she gets the gig

Hmmmm ..... have to say you are easily impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

They also award them for publicity and woke purposes:

Here's one -

The bould Biddy is now occasionally described in the media as "Doctor Brigid Quilligan"

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/travellers-facing-racism-over-claims-some-are-flouting-covid-19-restrictions-39155109.html
    That kind of grandstanding honestly does a disservice to actual PhDs and Doctors. The media reporting her as "doctor" should know better too - as if anyone would refer to Paul O'Connell as Dr. Paul O'Connell (he was the recipient of a honorary doctorate from UL).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That kind of grandstanding honestly does a disservice to actual PhDs and Doctors. The media reporting her as "doctor" should know better too - as if anyone would refer to Paul O'Connell as Dr. Paul O'Connell (he was the recipient of a honorary doctorate from UL).

Point taken re. Doctorates vs. Honorary Doctorates but I'd be inclined to cut her a bit of slack.

https://www.ucc.ie/en/conferrings/honorary/archive/dr-brigid-quilligan-degree-of-doctor-of-laws.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Hmmmm ..... have to say you are easily impressed

Maybe so but did you hear the exchange on the gathering on Friday when she put manners on Aodhan O Riordan. He was acting like a complete too lCan`t imagine SOR doing that

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Maybe so but did you hear the exchange on the gathering on Friday when she put manners on Aodhan O Riordan. He was acting like a complete too lCan`t imagine SOR doing that

No, but I will take your point, and accept that she is doing well.

I will say there is more to the show than “putting manners on people” could I suggest that she ,perhaps , is a little too keen to develop that rep.

Can she swing a full show 5 days a week and keep folk interested all round.

That has to be established over the inter regnum?

We will see.

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Any chance they'll discuss the attempted murder in Carrigaline tomorrow?

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Best not even go down this road (as will only inevitably derail the thread), but no.

3. Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Was that the black lads beating up the white lad?

4. Advertisement
      5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

At the moment I'm finding Sarah's style of interview aggressive and combative, it's becoming a bit tiresome

6. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

EmptyTree wrote: »
        At the moment I'm finding Sarah's style of interview aggressive and combative, it's becoming a bit tiresome

Yeah, sometimes she's just grilling politicians for the sake of it. Grilling Regina Doherty over looking to claw back covid payments claimed fraudulently, as if that's something thats wrong or that should even be up for debate.

7. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

be serious now

8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm enjoying it. She was excellent in shutting down the FGer and Aodhan on Friday constantly sniping.

9. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Yeah, sometimes she's just grilling politicians for the sake of it. Grilling Regina Doherty over looking to claw back covid payments claimed fraudulently, as if that's something thats wrong or that should even be up for debate.

I'd take her more seriously if she'd been a bit more combative and grilled Clare Daly last week over her justification and encouragement of mass gatherings...that was up for debate at the very least.

10. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Always good to hear him getting called out, but it does seem somewhat selective and rehearsed.
          I will say there is more to the show than “putting manners on people” could I suggest that she ,perhaps , is a little too keen to develop that rep.

Agreed

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Mad_maxx wrote: »
          be serious now

I’m surprised there isn’t a thread about it on here.

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Anyone understand the mask situation any better after that? :confused:

3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

refreshing interview

apologise for nothing

well done sir:D

4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭cozar

who is Sarah having a go at? just tuned in.

5. Advertisement
        This discussion has been closed.
        Advertisement