Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nova day coming up 37 years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

Ger, have you ever considered bringing back the anorak hour as a podcast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Infoanon wrote: »
    There is a picture - probably DXArchive - where you can see Treble TRs wire antenna and in the background Novas massive free standing tower. Novas AM at that stage was a mere 3kw on 846/891 .The RF interference must have been huge (and add in the FM at 5kw erp).

How long were they on 891kHz for ?? with BBC R. Wales on 882 it probably caused issues in areas within north-west Wales so they had to move
    True story - I recall a parish priest getting very irate at the breakthrough on his churches audio system with his sermons being interrupted by pop music and blaming RTE 2FM. I pointed to the mast a few hundred feet away - the Q102 AM mast......the issue was resolved quickly (by RTE according to the parish priest !)

There may well have had been an issue with another church close to the RTE 2FM Dublin 1278kHz which that priest heard about and (wrongly) assumed was due to the same source? (just speculating)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Antenna wrote: »
    How long were they on 891kHz for ?? with BBC R. Wales on 882 it probably caused issues in areas within north-west Wales so they had to move
    )

882 operated at 100kw back then so no interference issues in Wales imho.

I don't have dates but I believe 891 was used briefly (possibly influencedby those 'mighty 890' jingle before 846 was chosen as the AM frequency.

The 'mighty 890' jingles where also used when Nova where on 819.

Re the Church - Q operated very clean transmitters but when you are in close proximity of an AM transmitter, loose wiring on an amplification or telephone system will pick up interference (even at 1kw).

As an aside the 1278 installation was known to drift every so often causing widespread interference on that part of the AM band.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

882 operated at 100kw back then so no interference issues in Wales imho..

Mad fact; the main tx for BBC Wales is actually located in Somerset. At one stage it was whacking out 750,000 watts yet it still had three booster in Wales; so Nova would not have had a chance to interfere with it!! Today 882 isa more modest 100,000kw though it still has an extra 10KW booster from Penmon in Anglesey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Just as an aside, this comment reminds me of the time I met someone who told me of his experience of living at a pirate radio mountain site.

When he was a teen, he lived somewhere around the ticknock/3Rock/kilakee area and his dad was approached one day to use their adjacent workshed as a TX site. A payment amount was decided and the legal situation was agreed so that he would not be told what station it was and the people dealing with him would say that they told him it was legal equipment being housed at his property. He reckoned his dad did know, but the family were never told, to keep the ignorance defense valid and to stop them talking.

The mains power lead for the transmitter was plugged into this guy's bedroom double power socket (switched) and sent to the shed through a hole drilled in the window frame.

The teenager was an avid Nova fan and he listened in his room at night from a mains powered radio on his bedside locker. Late one night, he reached out to switch off the radio (using the socket switch) and it fell silent, except that the lights on the radio were still on. After a few minutes of trying to figure out what was happening, he realised that the radio was indeed still on, but not receiving - he had flicked the wrong socket switch (shed power) and had turned off Radio Nova - the secret was out.

Just as he turned the power back on, the phone rang to ask if there had been a power cut in the area (not uncommon), he said that there had been a very brief interruption, but all was back now... and then he put some masking tape on the Nova power socket switch, to prevent any more accidental 'drop out'.

I don't remember exact date, location, frequency used etc... but I do remember having a good laugh about it with the person concerned as he recalled the night he put Nova off the air.

Surely this relates to another subsequent station that used the name Nova ? , what know of the original Nova (Chris Cary) it would be too substantial to have had FM transmission from someone's shed beside a house and power taken from a 13A socket in a bedroom ?

Maybe that relates to the dance music station Nova 94.7FM broadcasting in the early 2000s around the time of the unlicenced Phantom FM ?

interesting video of the original Nova and some views of FM transmitter site they used 6:52 in (and later in the video):

https://vimeo.com/384483637

Also 10:40 in, that thing on the desk! , is an FM transmitting tube (valve) for several kilowatts. Though that one is probably one which had failed. Unlikely to leave a good one around like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Antenna wrote: »
    Surely this relates to another subsequent station that used the name Nova ? , what know of the original Nova (Chris Cary) it would be too substantial to have had FM transmission from someone's shed beside a house and power taken from a 13A socket in a bedroom ?

Maybe that relates to the dance music station Nova 94.7FM broadcasting in the early 2000s around the time of the unlicenced Phantom FM ?

interesting video of the original Nova and some views of FM transmitter site they used 6:52 in (and later in the video):

https://vimeo.com/384483637

Also 10:40 in, that thing on the desk! , is an FM transmitting tube (valve) for several kilowatts. Though that one is probably one which had failed. Unlikely to leave a good one around like that.

You’d be amazed! I have my suspicions it may have been the original Kiss 102.7 site at Murphys Quarry (behind the Blue Light in Barnacullia).

There was also the elusive Magic 103/Nova 100 site around Kilmashogue that still seems to be shrouded in mystery!

I would agree with Antenna on this one - I am open to correction but Novas 3kw FM from Murphys Quarry would have used 3 phase electricity ? , and you would not want to be sleeping near the 24kw erp output .

It could have been one of the Nova Satellite relays?

As an aside Kiss was originally from Woodtown.

There has always being a question of where exactly the 99.9 / Magic 103 5 site was - Kilmashogue and a couple of hundred metres from property is what I have heard.

I would agree with Antenna on this one - I am open to correction but Novas 3kw FM from Murphys Quarry would have used 3 phase electricity ? , and you would not want to be sleeping near the 24kw erp output .

It could have been one of the Nova Satellite relays?

As an aside Kiss was originally from Woodtown.

There has always being a question of where exactly the 99.9 / Magic 103 5 site was - Kilmashogue and a couple of hundred metres from property is what I have heard.

I thought the very first Kiss site was simply a couple of stacked dipoles on a disused crane nesr the quarry (not the proper site that would subsequently be developed)

TheBMG wrote: »
    I thought the very first Kiss site was simply a couple of stacked dipoles on a disused crane nesr the quarry (not the proper site that would subsequently be developed)

That is very possible - a picture of the link antennas from Herbert Street would answer the question

Interesting aside - Nova couldn't link directly to Murphys Quarry from Stocking Lane

That is very possible - a picture of the link antennas from Herbert Street would answer the question

Interesting aside - Nova couldn't link directly to Murphys Quarry from Stocking Lane

I’d well believe it. When Anna Livia used that site they were effectively inaudible over a lot of Dublin 24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It is interesting to see where those ex-Radio Nova presenters are now.

Colm Hayes, Greg Gaughren and John Clarke - the current unrelated Radio Nova

Mike Maloney - as we speak, involved with online oldies station Music One Ireland.

Declan Meehan - Wicklow's East Coast FM

Chris Cary, Bob Gallicoe, Tony Allen, Tony Fenton (think he was a bit later) - that great radio station in the sky. RIP

Brian Dobsin (Nova newsreader) - RTE Radio One (Morning Ireland)

Anna Cassin (Nova newsreader) - RTE One (Nationwide)

Phl Cawley (came a bit later to Nova - well after the events referred to) - Today FM

Aidan Cooney (came a bit later) - Q102

Gareth O'Callaghan (had left Nova before all this) - retired - last heard him on Classic Hits (4FM)

Jason Maine - retired

Hugh O'Brien - solicitor - has been known to pop up in stations. Last one I heard him on was Christmas FM

Dave Harvey - media executive and chairman of National Library of Ireland - last heard him on Classic Hits 4FM

Tom Hardy - radio broadcast consultant

It is interesting to see where those ex-Radio Nova presenters are now.

Colm Hayes, Greg Gaughren and John Clarke - the current unrelated Radio Nova

Mike Maloney - as we speak, involved with online oldies station Music One Ireland.

Declan Meehan - Wicklow's East Coast FM

Chris Cary, Bob Gallicoe, Tony Allen, Tony Fenton (think he was a bit later) - that great radio station in the sky. RIP

Brian Dobsin (Nova newsreader) - RTE Radio One (Morning Ireland)

Anna Cassin (Nova newsreader) - RTE One (Nationwide)

Phl Cawley (came a bit later to Nova - well after the events referred to) - Today FM

Aidan Cooney (came a bit later) - Q102

Gareth O'Callaghan (had left Nova before all this) - retired - last heard him on Classic Hits (4FM)

Jason Maine - retired

Hugh O'Brien - solicitor - has been known to pop up in stations. Last one I heard him on was Christmas FM

Dave Harvey - media executive and chairman of National Library of Ireland - last heard him on Classic Hits 4FM

Tom Hardy - radio broadcast consultant

While I am at it, here's a few more!

Chris Barry - as we speak, involved with online oldies station Music One Ireland

The following two spent brief periods with Radio Nova, long after the events of 37 years ago.

Paul Kavanagh - MD of Kavanagh Media and DG of Riviera Radio.

Ernie Gallagher - Freelance radio presenter and voice over artist - last heard him on the current Radio Nova

I looked up Andy Archer, one of the influential offshore pirate individuals in the early years of Radio Nova. He was the Programme Director for Radio Nova. The most recent station that I found associated with him was North Norfolk Radio, as a presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Chris Barry - as we speak, involved with online oldies station Music One Ireland

The following two spent brief periods with Radio Nova, long after the events of 37 years ago.

Ernie Gallagher - Freelance radio presenter and voice over artist - last heard him on the current Radio Nova[/quote

I think that there imaybe some confusion out there in the radio history circles when referring to Paul Kavanagh of Radio Riviera. This is the former PD of Sunshine 101 (August 1987 - December 1988) and the early years of Atlantic 252.

The Paul Kavanagh that was associated with the original Nova (around 84- 86) is NOT the same Paul Kavanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I’d well believe it. When Anna Livia used that site they were effectively inaudible over a lot of Dublin 24

At one stage estate agents used this as a sales pitch for selling property in Tallaght.

alzer100 wrote: »

Ernie Gallagher - Freelance radio presenter and voice over artist - last heard him on the current Radio Nova[/quote

I think that there imaybe some confusion out there in the radio history circles when referring to Paul Kavanagh of Radio Riviera. This is the former PD of Sunshine 101 (August 1987 - December 1988) and the early years of Atlantic 252.

The Paul Kavanagh that was associated with the original Nova (around 84- 86) is NOT the same Paul Kavanagh.

You sure about that? I’m 99 percent certain that the Sunshine Paul Kavanagh did actually have a brief spell on Nova in 85/86.

You sure about that? I’m 99 percent certain that the Sunshine Paul Kavanagh did actually have a brief spell on Nova in 85/86.

If you Google Paul Kavanagh Archives Radiowaves.FM
    There is a link to archived Radio Nova programs which includes a piece from Paul Kavanagh but it is not the same Paul Kavanagh from Sunshine 101/Atlantic 252

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Me too.

There is confusion somewhere, not sure where though. I can't seem to find the 'other' Paul Kavanagh recording on Radiowaves, to take a listen.

Me too.

There is confusion somewhere, not sure where though. I can't seem to find the 'other' Paul Kavanagh recording on Radiowaves, to take a listen.

The You Tube file is over an hour long, but the last time I listened to it I was able to hear the "Nova" Paul Kavanagh presenting and believe me it's NOT the same "Kavo"

The You Tube file is over an hour long, but the last time I listened to it I was able to hear the "Nova" Paul Kavanagh presenting and believe me it's NOT the same "Kavo"

Well, I remember hearing and/or reading about Paul Kavanagh doing a brief spell in Radio Nova before Sunshine Radio. I think it possibly cropped up on one of Ger Rowe's Anorak Hours recordings - not sure about that. Could there have been more than one Paul Kavanagh? Over the years, we have had Mark Kavanagh, Conor Kavanagh and Conor Mark Kavanagh!!

• Advertisement

Well, I remember hearing and/or reading about Paul Kavanagh doing a brief spell in Radio Nova before Sunshine Radio. I think it possibly cropped up on one of Ger Rowe's Anorak Hours recordings - not sure about that. Could there have been more than one Paul Kavanagh? Over the years, we have had Mark Kavanagh, Conor Kavanagh and Conor Mark Kavanagh!!

Well, by the sounds of it there were definitely two.

The Sunshine 101 Paul Kavanagh started on Sunshine just after it radically changed its format in July 1986. He was just a kid at the time, I think around 16 years of age.

The Sunshine 101 Paul Kavanagh started on Sunshine just after it radically changed its format in July 1986. He was just a kid at the time, I think around 16 years of age.

That's not correct. As previously posted Paul Kavanagh was on Sunshine afternoons , moved to Nova and then back to Sunshine. When Bill left Paul took over PD duties

That's not correct. As previously posted Paul Kavanagh was on Sunshine afternoons , moved to Nova and then back to Sunshine. When Bill left Paul took over PD duties

I knew there was something about him going to Sunshine, then Nova and back again - he got great experience at a young age! It was your good self, and I think Ger had a recording of him on Nova as well.

Alzer100 is adamant that the recording he heard of Paul Kavanagh on Nova was not the same Paul Kavanagh - was there another Paul Kavanagh on Nova?

PK was on Sunshine prior to the Hot Hits format as this video shows at about one hour in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LTD3cM7CSVU

The quotes are all mixed up above and have you read it carefully to see who is quoting who! From Post 77 on.

The quotes are all mixed up above and have you read it carefully to see who is quoting who! From Post 77 on.

Paul Kavanagh obviously did work on Sunshine before the HotHits format was introduced but the point being and as I far as I know, that particular Paul Kavanagh did not work on Radio Nova and I believe he listed the stations that he had being involved with in that particular video prior to his work on Sunshine.

Quote from Radio Today interview: "He (Robbie Robinson) gave me a job at 16 and my first management job when I was 18 years old, he said you have 3 months to prove yourself and I have never looked back. We grew the audience, won in a head on battle and it's a shame we did not get the licence for Dublin".

That quote is referring to the presenter role and then the PD position he was promoted to after Bill Cunningham's departure and the head on battle is referred to Sunshine vs Super-Q from May 1988 to the closedown of both radio stations in December 1988.

Posts are bit messed up. I was not replying a quote.

Paul Kavanagh obviously did work on Sunshine before the HotHits format was introduced but the point being and as I far as I know, that particular Paul Kavanagh did not work on Radio Nova and I believe he listed the stations that he had being involved with in that particular video prior to his work on Sunshine.

The Paul Kavanagh on Radio Nova in 85 is the same Paul Kavanagh who worked on Sunshine pre and post his Nova stint.

To be precise Paul worked on Zoom before going back to Sunshine

Quick history - Nova had Greg Gaughran swiped by Q so turned to the afternoon star of Sunshine and hired Paul

Pauls afternoon slot on Sunshine was taken by Mark Byrne iirc.

There are recordings on line and indeed features on Ger Roes anorak hour of Paul on Nova

The Paul Kavanagh on Radio Nova in 85 is the same Paul Kavanagh who worked on Sunshine pre and post his Nova stint.

To be precise Paul worked on Zoom before going back to Sunshine

Quick history - Nova had Greg Gaughran swiped by Q so turned to the afternoon star of Sunshine and hired Paul

Pauls afternoon slot on Sunshine was taken by Mark Byrne iirc.

There are recordings on line and indeed features on Ger Roes anorak hour of Paul on Nova

You are correct, please except my apologies. On first listen of the Radio Nova excerpt from November 1985 his presenting style sounds different. On first listen, for me it really does not sound like him.

The reason he did not list Radio Nova in the list of radio stations mentioned in the video posted here is because that video was taken in the summer of 1985 and the Radiowaves.FM piece was taken from November of that same year. He had obviously moved to Nova at that stage.
    The Radio Today interview is a bit confusing though as it makes it look like Robbie Robinson gave him his first job at 16. Sunshine was obviously not his first DJ role and which also makes him extremely young when he got involved in radio.

Again folks, sorry for the confusion.

• Advertisement

You are correct, please except my apologies. On first listen of the Radio Nova excerpt from November 1985 his presenting style sounds different. On first listen, for me it really does not sound like him.

The reason he did not list Radio Nova in the list of radio stations mentioned in the video posted here is because that video was taken in the summer of 1985 and the Radiowaves.FM piece was taken from November of that same year. He had obviously moved to Nova at that stage.
    The Radio Today interview is a bit confusing though as it makes it look like Robbie Robinson gave him his first job at 16. Sunshine was obviously not his first DJ role and which also makes him extremely young when he got involved in radio.

Again folks, sorry for the confusion.

No need to apologise, I think most people on the thread (myself included!) love to discuss this stuff!

He does sound quite different on the Nova clips but what a voice at such a young age.

Also shows how strong the line ups were; Greg, Paul, Mark Byrne!

Advertisement