Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus Feedback thread part 2. [READ THE FIRST POST]

• 13-05-2020 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Following on from from the Football & Coronavirus Feedback thread.

Firstly, many thanks for all those that gave genuine feedback on the previous thread, it is much appreciated. I read all the posts, however, the noise of the discussion and back-and-fourth arguing overcame the useful opinions being presented.

So, for part 2, I would like you to re-post your feedback, having had a chance to discuss it.

This time there are some constraints:

1. You may post what your feedback / suggestion was in the previous thread. That's the main point of this.

2. Do not quote or otherwise argue or discuss another users post - be it brom this thread or the previous one.

3. Do not post anything other than your own feedback.

4 These rules may change if it turns into another bickerfest.

5. Not reading these rules is a rule breach.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

This is the crux of it and directly linked to what continues to go on on the soccer forum. It was a watershed moment for the forum and a shameful one at that. (What went on here after Liverpool lost the CL final a couple of years back)
    I don’t think anything will change until the powers that be at boards revisit that whole sorry affair and try and learn from it. Any idea of unbiased moderation, user accountability and soccer forum rules went out the window right there.

The coronavirus thread. I’ve barely contributed(if at all) as I’ve little to add but it’s a revolving wheel of the same opinions. It has as usual been infested with the low level trolls who while not maybe having one single post that is cardable per say, know exactly what they are doing. They should be warned on thread at least but alas that doesn’t and won’t happen.

Locking the thread originally was uncalled for imo. Thread bans were handed out to three posters, while other posters who picked up cards in the thread were let be.
    Then we have the reinstatement of one of the three and yes I’m going to say it - the Liverpool supporter while the two Utd supporters aren’t mentioned. An hour or two later and the thread is locked again. No surprise.

Look Steve there will always be trolls. Obvious ones. Low level ones, even unintentional ones given enough slack.
    And that’s the crux of it. The slack given and not given. That’s your problem right there that can be fixed. The lack of moderation on the soccer forum. There’s a list of mods but very few are anywhere to be seen in that role. We have one mod doing most of the modding T4TF and this is nothing personal or agenda driven but he clearly isn’t fit for purpose and is subconsciously or consciously biased. Heavy handed with certain Utd fans and totally blind to some Liverpool posters who are out and out trolls.
    The fact that he was also an active mod during that post CL meltdown of boards should have been reason enough to show he wasn’t fit for purpose.
    I will say, to his credit at least he is actively modding unlike the like of SlickRic who openly admitted he wouldn’t moderate the Liverpool thread and seems to have carte blanche on telling people to fûck off. I mean that’s just unacceptable.

The corona thread is a small symptom of what is wrong with the soccer forum overall and while their is a vacuum with no football maybe amplifies the isssues.

Look people have to be adults and take personal responsibility for what they post but, like a football match itself it needs refereeing. If a team is let away with a series of bad fouls they will think they can get away with it and continue to do so without fear of any real consequence. Likewise the opposing team will start fouling back. Boundaries have to be set for all

Modding is the ultimate problem in the soccer forum and therefore in the corona thread.

I’m not excusing the trouble makers, the snipers or the tribal stuff but ultimately the modding sets the tone and it has failed badly for the last few years and continues to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I meant to also post, if you agree with a point, please convey that via post thanks. Again, do not quote or discuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

To think people actually wanted to remove the thanks button. We would be in a right pickle now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Couple of things for me.

The charter is a hindrance rather than a help. The trolls know how to circumvent this and have been doing so for years.

Reduce the charter to get away from the tit for tat and replace it with a general rule of 'dont be a dick'.

Regarding the thanks button, it is clear that it is causing issues and some users have 'weaponised' it for want of better word. I think this method of trolling needs looking at.

There was some good suggestions such as if threadbanned then that should also include thanking post.

Another one was to only show the number of thanks rather than who than thanked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

A few Man Utd poster have been able to low level troll the forum for years just enough not to get a card themselves but run off to report a reaction so the reaction is carded and they have gotten what they wanted.

This is then causing a reaction where you will have other fans trying it back to them and it just goes on and on.

With no football the corna virus thread was the only real active thread so got the most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

if something that happened 2 years ago is still causing a sizable number of posters consternation then it has to be addressed no matter what any mod cmod or admin thinks they know about it or can pull from trawling feedback there are a number of normally levelheaded posters on this forum who have cause to find fault with an incident and a certain moderator over a number of years and constantly being told that its all in their heads or that they are complaining about nothing or worse complaining because they are trying to low-level troll is never going to be the right thing to do. someone in a position of power needs to realise and accept this at some stage but it's been going on for so long now that there is just no trust there any more.

the rule in the last thread that people had to pledge allegience was nonsensical and actually endorsed the fact in many people's mind that the team they support would influence how they are listened to how they are treated and ultimately how they are modded and that's on you steve as the current voice of the higherups the latest in a long line of people in your position to try to address this and probably unfortunately do nothing. i make no bones about that by the way. the same issues are brought up in every feedback thread in this forum going back years now and they are dismissed as the ramblings of crackpots every time. when you inevitably get bored and do the same or worse promise to look at things then dont bother to come back as the rest of them have done.

there is no personal responsibility among the mods on this forum they can do what they want and can trust that the cmods and admin in the appeals process will back them up 100% the worst thing about that process is the stupid rule that only the case in question is relevent because it absolves immediately the mods from having to answer for inconsistency in moderation in this forum. when a supporter of one team gets banned for XY or Z they are never allowed to say in the DRP that another user was never carded for the same thing they are told its not relevent. well it is. it very much is at the heart of the issues on this forum when mods can point to the number of cards a user is getting to ban them but then call the "we can't see everything" card when it suits when inconsistencies are pointed out. its a cop out and its a cop out to refer to that rule when called on it.

you can be guaranteed that no matter what someone is carded or eventually banned for on this forum they will be able to find an example of the same thing that has gone unpunished either by accident or by design. there are not enough mods and the laborious process for getting new ones is part of that problem when some clown on a whim can reject a potential mod because they got carded three months ago

i said it in the last thread and i'll say it again when someone posts a link to a website and then comments "cue the salty posters" that goes unpunished on purpose but only served to start a skirmish or rile people up but because of the thread and the team that person supports nothing. it shouldn't have to be reported because the majority of mods are supporters of the team that the thread the comment appeared in and they 100% read that thread every day so the cop out line that is always used as a convenience is actually a nonsense.

also this sitting there for 5 hours it is simply not believable that no mod read that

they thanks issue is easily remedied. tell people to stop even looking at the "thankers". who cares? why do you care? what difference does it make?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

From the previous thread - I find most of my time confused ir playing catch up by the giving out about the 'other side'. Mostly because I don't go into many threads that are not about Manchester United and miss what people were bothered by.

I do find the post from Slic, that the 'power shift' has caused anything, is out of line with my own experience.

I also think a recent post trying to blame it on Man Utd fans to be an example of an 'us v them attitude'that is bizarre. Low level trolling across fans of all clubs is present.

I see the number of posters falling over time and people getting over familiar with others. The general behaviour is not a change from what I saw when United were winning the European Cup in 08 or after the losses to Barcelona. The goings on as far back as then made me not want to be involved in non United threads as the level of animosity and outright trolling is impossible to deal with.

I think the forum has become less fit for purpose due to falling numbers and the significant use of 'quick hit' unmoderated places like Twitter have casued a lot of people to get used to a particular type of interaction. It is not good. It is not much of a change from other forums on boards or threads where people seem to take extreme sides, things descend into ignoring people and not much discussion happens.

Even if a more closed style of forum was set up for clubs where obvious trolls could be removed infighting would still be a challenge. Some people just end up at odds with other on superthreads and it becomes more about who posted than what was posted. I do think superthreads limit the discussion about clubs as it all happens in one place. I think people would find it easier to seperate posters from a particular point if topics could take place on a broader scale in their own threads instead of superthreads.

It would be better imo to have more threads about particular issues even if that means several active threads from one club. If that can't happen in the current format due to inability to interact then that suggests sub forums are needed to remove a lot of the aggro. I know the forum could sugger by sub forums but it could also be of benefit to the general threads?

Not from the last thread - but I would say if superthreads are desired to contain fans instead of a move to sub forums, why not give people what they want, have fans of the club control the superthreads - have some thread caretakers. They could be people without full mod powers in the forum but are allowed monitor threads and can make some posts to try and stop it getting derailed by obvious trolling or try to move along discussion where people are cleary bickering rather than discussing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Mentioned in the previous thread, but personal responsibility must come into it. A lot of people blame others and blame mods while not addressing their own behaviour and posting. If someone is constantly racking up infractions and bans maybe they are the problem,or at least a big part of it.

The claims of bias were looked into by an admin (Beasty) and debunked with stats to back it up at the time. Mod consistency was flagged as an issue. Fair enough, it's a fast moving thread and things will be missed. Modding not consistent,yes, biased,no.

A few loopholes to address regarding people being able to still participate in threads while thread banned/ re-reg / troll, by using the thanks function. Number of thanks rather than seeing the name would help rat out the trolls for sure.

That's all I can think of. Fair play for getting the ball rolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'm just back from my first ever ban on this site which was caused by 2 yellows in the coronavirus thread so maybe I'm well placed to offer an opinion.

I'm not going to get into whether the yellows were deserved or not, I wasn't bothered appealing them as I can see that only goes one way really when dealing with it and didn't want any extra stress.

Basically it is lack of moderation on thread. Moderators not providing input into threads in a positive way. They are seemingly there to react to reported posts. I've never reported a post on the site as far as I remember as I think it is very childish to go telling on people on the internet because they said something offensive but if the first closure (after my first yellow which I'd say was reported quite a bit) felt like it was a response to my post.

The same people had peddled the same opinion for weeks at that point and were just soapboxing an opinion and attempting to invite abuse on their team. When their views were challenged they said that it was an agenda against their team. This went on and time and time again there was nothing said on thread regarding getting the thread back on topic and the bull**** tribalism was allowed to fester.

Now whether me saying that a fanbase is up it's own hole in response to posts making a worldwide pandemic about themselves was worthy of a yellow or not it appears it got a response and 5 minutes later I was yellowed, and not long after the thread was closed. Posters (majority from the other side of the shít flinging that had ensued) were threadbanned and more stringent rules put in place. Great, maybe some moderation going on and the other offenders will now be put in their place.

Except that didn't happen. A couple of posters kept it up. It was time and time again posting the exact same stuff, being called on it, going away and posting a variant of the same thing the next day. I mentioned it happening multiple times in the thread and was not getting a response from the main culprit in my eyes.

Report the posts I'll be told no doubt and a moderator can look at them. Well, others I've been informed did report certain posts and no action was taken. We've been consistently told that the only way a moderator will be sure to see and action a post is if it is reported. Keeping the thread on topic and a nice place to post seems to be a secondary concern to being able to come in and throw a few people out and wave the digital cards.

Now we move on to my 2nd yellow on the thread. It was a post similar to the above calling out low level baiting and soapboxing similar to what I've posted above. Nothing was being done about it, I don't agree that it was a card but my words were harsh and I did mention one of the names. Within 5 minutes I was on a 2 week forum ban. For 2 posts in a thread where threadbanning was in effect and multiple people had gotten away with similar. Ironically backseat moderation is now when you say that someone is posting the same thing over and over with no acknowledgement of the posts refuting it.

Since then I've noticed someone got an on-thread warning for mentioning individuals while posting and multiple similar posts to mine going unpunished. I didn't really overly buy into the whole moderator bias thing on the forum but the above really opened my eyes.

TLDR, the above is a bit of a rant about what happened in my own case. A thread was allowed to spiral into a ****post fest where there was people trying to wind posters up until they were banned. It's a good micro-chasm about some people on the forum. Moderators are in within 5 minutes getting their banning dopamine hit but don't read the threads and try to direct posting in a healthier manner and the moment you step over the line in a way that they can justify to the admins, who most likely don't read the thread and will only see threads in isolation, they come with the hammer, making it a toxic environment and leaving accusations of bias wide open when one group amazingly seems to get a slap on the wrist and another cards for literally the exact same thing.

Resolution: pretty simple. More active moderation and less of a focus on cards. redzerdrog had a good point above about not being a dick. The majority of people on the forum are adults. They should be able to take a little bit of a challenge to their opinions and engage with them without getting their feelings hurt. The people on the constant wind up don't get their hit from their report and stitch ups as soon as they achieve their goal of making someone annoyed enough that they put down something that is on the dark grey side of abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My feedback won't change from what It's always been. Support the active mods who stick their head above the parapet with other active mods, not just names on a list. Mod the forum to the charter, or amend the charter. Personally I think it'd be harder to mod soccer without such a pernickety charter, appreciate why some would say otherwise but the don't be a dick just doesn't cut it with all the trolling nuances of football. By it's nature, supporting a football team means there's a background dickishnes involved. :)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Below is my opening post in the last thread, verbatim.
    Honestly?

Because there are a number of Liverpool fans that cannot fathom the real possibility of them not winning the league and anyone that did not line up behind their line of thought was picked out as being trolls. Getting the world back up and running is going to be as onerous a task as the human race has ever had to deal with, that is reality, football is very low on the totem pole of real priorities, that is reality. The majority of people I saw carded in the thread were Liverpool fans yet the main ones thread banned were United fans.

The thread itself is merely a byproduct of what has been allowed to happen in the soccer forum over the last couple of years. Liverpool fans are pretty much untouchable in this forum and woe betide anyone that has the temerity to go against the grain. There is a helpdesk thread at the moment where the poster in question is querying the nature of the card he received. Im not going to link to it as its there for whoever wants to read it but the card itself (given in this thread) is as ridiculous a card that has ever been given on this site.

Its abundantly clear the side the forum and in turn the moderation lies, I know it and everyone else that uses the forum knows it. Dont drink the LFC koolaid and you are going to be treated harsher than if you do, that is the reality.

Its clear at this point that nothing is going to change in the forum in that regard, cmods and admins dont give a bollox about the forum and are content to let it rot from the inside out.

For those that are concerned with such things, the number of people that thanked it is a good indicator that my opinion is not exclusive to myself, not by a long shot.

In relation to that particular thread ie the C19 thread, my opinion is unchanged. While some non LFC fans may have posted things LFC fans did not / do not want to hear, those non LFC fans that actually broke the charter in the thread are in the minority and were reprimanded, other non LFC fans that did not break the charter were thread banned. If someone posts something you disagree with, challenge it on thread, provide opinion where you think they are wrong, dont run off reporting posts because you dont like what you reading, report posts that are breaches of the charter. Someone disliking your team is not a breach of the charter, as much as a few wish it were. As for those individuals that reported posts because of the "thanker", I would hope that cmods / admins review these posts in the face of the charter which clearly calls out misuse of the report function as being an offence. If nothing else, those responsible should be called out for their own hypersensitivity.

Moderation overall in the forum is the biggest driver of the issues, between inactive mods and favoritism displayed (perceived or actual depending on which side of the fence you stand) so if that is addressed then I feel much of the problems that the forum has had over the last 2 years will dissipate. Have mods that have the time to mod. I know that real life, especially in the current environment of working from home, gets in the way alot of the time and I certainly wouldnt expect mods to be "on patrol" 24/7 but there has to be a happy medium. Surely there are enough active members on the forum that have the temperament/record and the inclination to mod to add 3 or 4 more and to replace those most inactive. There is no limit on the number of mods a forum can have so over time the forum should aim to have at least 7 or 8 mods from across the various teams that will be active on a daily basis ie reading / contributing to posts. The way it feelsat the moment is that the tone from the top is set by one mod and everyone else rows in behind whatever they decide is best. The best mods I've seen are ones that arent afraid to challenge the status quo of a forum and that can rise above a group think and observe / review issues in a holistic manner and not automatically hit the warning/infraction button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Apparentley, a poster back in 2018 called a Man U fan/Man U fans in general a paedo.

For the sake of the forum, can a mod ban him and openly acknowledge that he's been banned. Please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

My feedback suggestion was to have a combined Man United & Liverpool superthread with no talk of either team outside of it bar match threads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Post from the previous thread....
    I've made the case before that splitting the two superthreads into two seperate sub-forums would have loads of benefits. At the most obvious, the "Superthread" format is a massive pain in the hole, and makes it impossible to actually look up news and stories from longer than two days ago. Deconstructing them into seperate threads spread over dedicated forums for the two sets of Waring fans would make navigating stuff a whole lot easier.

It would also move towards seperating the two sets of fans away from each other.

For years, the argument is that this forum should be a "melting pot", but to be blunt, you've got two sets of fans who want very little interaction. When it's forced on them, be it in the Covid thread or the match threads, it's ALWAYS a disaster. Year on year, the issues between the two sets of fans always dominates the feedback threads. And year on year, those issues are largely ignored. There'll be some handwave towards coming down harder on people, that lasts for a few weeks before everything is just ignored again.

It's pretty clear, at least to me, that the vast majority of United and Pool fans don't want or don't care about the forced interactions thrust upon them. Yet, the antiquated superthread system is forced upon them like they are small kids being taught how to socialise. No other section on boards.ie seems to have this either; there's not a single other topic that would have 100k posts a year that wouldn't get dedicated forums, to make it easier to view and to mod. The games forum doesn't say "one thread for ALL Xbox news, one for Playstation news, and ye can combine into one joint thread for some issues". The regional forums don't say Louth can have one thread and Meath another. They were split into sub-forums because it made sense from a logistical point of view.

Seperate sub-forums would means the "problematic" Liverpool and United fans could be banned from their rival forums. 90% of the reported posts would probably vanish, if the mods in charge of the sub-forums were given free reign to be harsher on rival fans looking to cause problems. Liverpool mods with control to actually moderate discussion on Liverpool threads, with zero tolerance on United fans stirring ****. United mods with control to moderate discussion, with zero tolerance on Liverpool fans on the wind up.

And leave the soccer forum open in general, for those who want the general discussion between groups.

But separate forums for the two sets of fans would remove all accusations of bias, all accusations of bad faith discussions, etc.

Year after year after year, there is cries that the two fans can't co-exist, and year after year, absolutely nothing is done about it. And it's driven away a whole lot of the more serious posters from both sets of fans.

Part of this is more general feedback, than just feedback to the Corona-virus thread.

But the reality is that the corona-virus thread was not some unique occurrence. It was rather the 1000th example of the issue that underlies this forum on a much larger scale.

99% of United fans do not post in the Liverpool thread.
    99% of Liverpool fans do not post in the United thread.

I'd wager every penny I had that the vast majority of posters that do come onto the Soccer forum don't ever read a thread other than their super team threads. Not match threads, maybe some transfer threads. But even the "general PL thread" just devolved into secondary threads for the super teams.

There's not a melting pot being created. I know there's mods and admins who have that as the vision for the forum, but the vision is not lining up with whats being created. The idea is admirable. The execution is lacking, and the result is a situation where the segregation is already entrenched. At this point, it simply boils down to a userbase frustrated by antiquated, failing systems.

The corona-virus thread was yet another example that what cross-posting does occur tends to devolve into a small number of posters starting to wage battles with each other. Two sets of fans who, time and time and time again, have shown they cannot co-exit.

The corona-virus thread was not a special occurrence. Its the same problem that creeps up multiple times a year. Was happening before the coronavirus thread. It was happening before Liverpool won the CL title. It was happening, contrary to the belief held by some, before Liverpool and United's power dynamic shifted. This is not a new occurrence. When I was modding here 5 years ago, the Liverpool vs United threads were still blazing war zones. Trying to dismiss this as all something that started in the last 2 years, or 5, or 10, is part of the problem.

It cannot be dismissed as some "bitterness" or sour grapes, because to do so ignores the fact it's a problem that was always been on this forum. Events have caused it to bubble up at specific points, sure. No denying there's not moments in the forum's history that people can point at as yet more examples of the issues growing.

But so long as the culture is to ignore the larger issue, nothing will change. These wars will keep festering, keep boiling over at bad points.

Seperate sub-forums, with harsher sanctions for trolls and WUMs from opposite teams, would relieve a lot of the tensions. It would give people seperate topics to discuss separate issues. (Using United as an example) Don't want the 1000th Pogba debate? Stay away from the Pogba thread. Want to discuss your fantasy historical team line ups? Doesn't have to be drowned out because there's a discussion going about the 200th player linked to United this week.

And want to discuss Rivals with other United fans, without being screamed at as a troll or have personal jibes thrown your way? Luckily, there's a Rival Watch thread in both sub-forums for discussions about other teams.

Neutral fan, wanting to discuss things without it all devolving into another Liverpool vs United war. Have neutral fans modding the remaining section of the soccer forum. And when i say modding, I mean actually moderating discussion, coming down ultra-harsh on any United or Pool fans trying to stir ****. A facilitation of viewpoints. Not a free-for-all with the usual children screaming at each other.

There an opposition fan who seems to have zero desire to do anything but troll and WUM? Ban him from the sub forum. If he wants to still talk about his own team, he can. But it's a lot harder to cause issues in a sub-forum, with multiple topics, than right now where he only has to derail one or two threads to grind ALL discussion down to a complete halt.

(Also, as a more specific response to one question asked a few times....no, not every team would get a dedicated sub-forum, no more than every topic doesn't get it's own sub-forum. United and Liverpool threads generate 40-60 thousand posts a year. The current threads, only a few weeks old, have half a million views each. That's ignoring separate match threads and discussion threads. The traffic those two threads alone generate is unreal. Looking for quick examples, Newcastle's thread has generated 7500 posts since 2014. Chelsea's thread took 2 years to reach 10000 posts. The Man City thread has 2500 posts in two and a half years. While every team will make an argument as to why they should have their own sub-forum, the reality is not every team generates the attention needed to get one, no more than the vast majority of subjects do on boards. Just as the rest of this website operates, there could be set criteria lined up as to what teams deserve sub-forums. X number of posts, Y level of engagement, over Z period of time.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just going to post my suggestion as per the other thread, regarding the tit for tat sh1te that even derails the Feedback threads:
    Arsenal fan, fwiw.

Was a semi-regular poster in a number of threads a while back but to be totally honest I stopped reading because of all the bitching and in-fighting even in the club specific threads.

And then the General Premier League one would descend into the usual Liverpool-United sh1te bi-weekly, people would start up stupid discussions specifically designed to wind up the other side so I stopped following that too.

The answer is simple really, but a heavy-handed approach. Anyone engaging in that tit for tat nonsense gets a 1 week ban. Doesnt matter your allegiance.

Do it again and it escalates to a month, and so on and so forth.

Maybe then people will have some manners and actually discuss football instead of trying to one-up the other side. Discuss football (or COVID related stuff) and stop dragging the tribalism from the terraces into the forum, or be sanctioned.

Cards are clearly not enough of a deterrent so simply increase the punishment until people start behaving.

It's evident that the parties involved can't simply let things slide so if they want to be treated like bold school children then that's what needs to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

When a post gets reported, an emailed notice goes out too all mods of that section.A thread is created with all reports of that post in it. My suggestion is that when a mod sees his email or checks the reported posts, he clicks in and takes a look at the thread that has just been created along with the posters who have reported it and the reasons for reporting it.

My suggestion now is that whatever mod/cmod reads it first, he leaves a comment in the thread(which is only available for mods too view anyways)

Comments can be for example , “Nothing to this” or “Yellow Issued” or “Red issued” or “On thread warning issued” etc. The key is once a mod has looked, he must comment he has looked into it and what action is deemed. It allows complete transparency across the entire mod team. If a mod is being heavy handed, or not acting correctly, it allows another mod/cMod to see how they dealt with the post.
    It would allow other mods or cMods go direct to the mod who actioned or didn’t deem it actionable first and question what they based their decision on and point out where they think it should be done differently to keep the moderation uniform.

It Would also allow new mods to get a feel for things before they start actioning things them selfs.

Where this also comes in handy is the excuse of “oh I must have missed that”. For example on a Saturday afternoon with several match’s going on 3 different posts from user123 are reported for abuse, mods may well be busy with real life but when they log in next and go to the reported posts thread a quick scan will show no mod note in the 3 threads created and they’ll know immediately it has not been actioned then the onus is on them to act or comment why they don’t deem it actionable.

Admins or any other cMods/mods can then come into the reported posts section at any time and see what mods are active. What mods are carding where. If a mod issues an on thread warning for abuse in one section but ignores doing so in “their teams” thread it’s immediately noticeable

I also love LordTSCs suggestion of sub forums but would still champion this method of moderation.

If the local mods are hesitant to implement a system like this which is used on other forums across boards then the higher ups need to ask themselves, Why?

Why are they opposed to transparency?
    Why are they opposed to change?
    Why are they opposed to accountability?
    Why If all discrepancies in moderation are just human error would they not want to implement a system to help remove that element of error?

I have always liked the idea of sub forums.

I think regardless of that that stronger processes are required to make sure threads progress without getting derailed by people who are trying to disrupt or those who just end up in a tit for tat exchange that goes nowhere.

Threads need more people looking after them, hopefully over time people will get used to it and it will become the norm to have a more cordial style of posting and threads will eventually police themselves. WUMs or people in fighting will be frowned upon and not get a reaction.

This is it really. There are posts in the corona virus and football feedback thread that are about something in 2018!! They are not relevant feedback posts, if anything they are provocing

Behave as adult be treated as adult. Behave like child, get punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Lord TSC wrote: »

I'd wager every penny I had that the vast majority of posters that do come onto the Soccer forum don't ever read a thread other than their super team threads. Not match threads, maybe some transfer threads. But even the "general PL thread" just devolved into secondary threads for the super teams.
    I can only speak for myself, but the superthreads are the ones I don't go into (not a fan of any of the teams that have a superthread), I'll have a look at pretty mucheverything else.

But I will say again, that if the issue is just a dozen or so persistent troublemakers, I think they should be dealt with (dropped off a cliff ideally) rather than wholesale restructuring of the forum to cater for them and mitigate their efforts to stir shyte.

I am not convinced it would even mitigate that, because if people have a desire to troll and needle, they will find a way to do it, just as they are now. If they are getting away with breaking the rules now for whatever reason, they will continue to do so. If they are managing to troll and needle while staying just within the rules, they will continue to do so. Even with two sub-forums, there will always be the middle ground of the main forum with the EPL general thread, the threads on European competitions, and that's where they'll be, waiting for their moment to get their dig in.

As long as they are here, trolls gonna troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Steve wrote: »

2. Do not quote or otherwise argue or discuss another users post - be it brom this thread or the previous one.

3. Do not post anything other than your own feedback.

5. Not reading these rules is a rule breach.

Before i give my own feedback im just wondering are these rules still in force? I see some may have missed the rules or something but im not sure there is any point givng feedback again if its going to be another debate with arguments back and forth and the feedback gets missed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Anyway my own opinion here is its pretty obvious that we have an everything is all fine section and an everything is all messed up section. I'm firmly in the everything is all messed up section as I believe it was the main factor in what led to the meltdown in coronavirus thread.

It's my firm belief that one of the reasons that thread went the way it was because moderators do not step in enough to say cut out the crap and its alowed blow up into a big childish row that ends up with people getting cards or bans. It was evident in the coronavirus thread and it was evident in the feedback thread. No moderators turned up until it was too late and cards and bans had to be given out.

For example calling a poster a troll in the thanks thread, there was 2 posters allowed call him a troll for a few hours before any action was taken even tho a mod post in that thread after the initial accusation. If a mod had of just put a warning down then to cut out personal attacks it would of saved two posters getting carded.

To fix that I think we need more in thread moderating, what is the point in having one active mod covering united/liverpool/general/humour/and all other threads at same time. Last year Beasty had to step in to deal with a poster soapboxing in the united thread. It took him days to study the thread and feedback to see what was happening but any regular reader of the united thread would see that in an instant. The regular mods couldn't see it or didnt want to deal with it?

On the topic of mod bias which I'm sure everyone is fed up hearing about and regular debunking of it because seemingly moderators are the high pillars of boards community and dont hold any bias but can you blame people for holding that opinion? Its been happening in here years. Yes the main mod in question may have carded many liverpool supporters over the years im sure but (and im using this as an example because its the most recent and easiest to show prrof of) when you see him coming out and thanking a post thats insinuating that another poster is making light if sexual assualt how can you not feel that there is something up there?

I dont want to see any mod punished that's not my intentions i just want to see this place be modded in a fair way with mods holding themselves accountable to the same standards they punish others for and treat all sets of fans equal and held to the same standard, this excuse of mods cant deal with everything doesn't wash because its obvious to everyone there isn't enough consistent mods for the current forum setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Just crack down on the Man Utd vs. Liverpool nonsense. That's where the majority of problems come from.

Ban the ringleaders (I'm sure the Mods know who the biggest trolls are) and enforce the 'don't be a dick rule'.

I know there's not a lot of modding going on at the moment but, at the same time, the posters need to behave like adults. If they could do so, there wouldn't be a need for mods. By pushing for more mods, its absolving the posters of responsibility.

Hiding behind banter or saying similar goes on at stadiums is not an excuse. You have a keyboard in front of you to type out what you want to say and there's no atmosphere distractions to contend with.

I never said in my post above but it has come up a few times since.

There is a misconception that this is a United v Liverpool issue. This is mainly due to them being the most supported teams so it's obviously more likely that the trouble will come from those fans. Going into threads as another team's fan and saying "oh it's the usual United v Liverpool stuff" completely shuts down discussion in a similar way to fans of those teams inviting abuse upon their team by saying that the world is out to get them or abusing tbh. For some reason abusing groups of fans is only an offense sometimes too though?

There have been very prevalent problem posters who support Arsenal, Barcelona, Fulham and others so to pigeonhole it as a United and Liverpool fans issue is reductive to the extreme imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Those handful of posters and serial thankers who hate another club (and that club’s fans) more than they like their own club, need to have a long hard look at themselves.

Very little moderators can do about those who start out with that mentality and who consistently (practically 24x7) skirt to the borders of what’s permitted in their efforts to wind up, stir **** and drive through an insatiable desire to make themselves feel better by putting others down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

There is no solution.
    Any possible solution that is tried will be doomed to failure because the issue is just a bunch of sad individuals with nothing else to worry about.
    Just let everyone have at it.
    Don’t be a dick and don’t get worked up about dicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

People posting in the feedback thread and not reading the feedback rules is probably a great place to start with what issues we have on the forum.

1) The main discussion in the last feedback thread revolved solely around T.hanks thanking posts against Liverpool. Ridiculous that it's even a discussion. I've had posters thank every post that argued with me for months and that was far more personal. Disliking a team isn't a charter breach.

2)If mods intend or don't intend to be bias I don't know. But there is definitely leighway to some posters and not others.

3) More active mods. The discussion surrounds removing old Mods. The argument is they're doing no harm as mods. Your right, they're doing no harm, but they're doing literally nothing.
    It also gives an indication to new posters that there is plenty of mods people could pm for assistance and whatnot, and probably won't even get a response.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Before i give my own feedback im just wondering are these rules still in force? I see some may have missed the rules or something but im not sure there is any point givng feedback again if its going to be another debate with arguments back and forth and the feedback gets missed.
    100% they are.

Just scanned the thread, anyone who ignored the rules has had their post removed and a ban applied.

Any bickering or ignoring the rules on this thread will not end well.

You all had the discussion in the previous thread, this is the chance to post your final opinion following that :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

When did football lose its banter? I've read a fair few comments on low level trolling/wum-ing, in the grand scheme of things it's neither here nor there or at least it should be. Maybe it's the consistency at which it's done that has fatigued people to it? For me, it's not an issue I've interacted with posters coming into the utd thread and posted a reply or two and then left it at that. I think when it's allowed to become a "discussion" over say 15/20 posts it becomes a problem.

My own experience and the reasoning behind my card was I was attacking the poster, I wasn't! If people took a bit of personal responsibility and looked back on my interaction with the poster I named in the post it becomes obvious that I was responding to his response to me.

Personal responsibility also comes into it in regards letting sh!te go, you may think I'm being a hippocrite here from the above, I've asked for a decision on the above in my DRP thread so I can move on from it, no ill will for the reporting or T4TF for carding I'll accept the decision of Steve/Beasty and move forward. Reading over the forum over the two weeks I was off was an eye opener, in the sense that I see posters holding grudges against one an other and it's ruining the forum for everyone. The really active thread during this shutdown gets shutdown because of ill will held by a few. I've seen well reasoned posts paragraphs long and people responding with one liners to nullifie it, derailment ensues and the points raised get lost into a bickering sh!t fest. Not all comments on your post need responding to also not all comments need responding too.

Is there blame to go around most certainly, how much blame?? I haven't a clue. I also don't have suggestions to fix this outside of personal responsibility this is aimed at all, we chose to offended by posts, by who thanks what, who even doesn't thank probably, we chose not to listen to a counter argument, we chose to hold a grudge, we chose to take inaction, we chose to take action..

Tldr: let's get cans head to a park, have a kick about, the winning team reins supreme forever more on boards.ie/soccer..

Song lyrics..

So, come on, let it go, just let it be
    Why don't you be you, and I'll be me?
    Everything that's broke, leave it to the breeze
    Why don't you be you, oh, and I'll be me?
    And I'll be me

• I'm just going to share my 3 posts over the last week or so here for now;

When I get on the PC later I will update with some overall thoughts

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113408255&postcount=492

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113409568&postcount=503

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113417397&postcount=522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭irelandrover

My opinion is that the Liverpool and United stuff does ruin the forum. Its perfectly understandable in a United versus Liverpool match thread. Or even in the premier league thread at times. But during the summer we had 200 posts or so discussing how Trent Alexander Arnold was the best left back. It was 200 posts about a player that there wasn't even a transfer rumour about. There should have been no reason he was brought up and it dragged the thread widely off topic.

The corona virus thread was ruined as it was painted if you didn't want the season continuing then it was because you hated Liverpool. At the moment since Liverpool are so successful they see fans who don't support them as attacking them. It was the same in the past with all the ABU crap. If United become successful again we will swing back that way.

These fans don't seem to realise that not every conversation on this forum has an angle about their team. Its why other team threads, la liga, Bundesliga threads stay relatively readable, as there is no way to make them about Liverpool or United. You have to stop the threads becoming Liverpool or United dominated as it really does drive away fans of other teams. Look at how many people in these feedback threads have said they don't really post any more. And in order to do this you need more active mods who can shut down the off topic conversation quickly before it makes a thread unreadable and ends in lots of retrospective cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Active mods are essential.

I know that seems ironic, considering I've just stepped down, but as I said, that is a huge reason why I wanted to step aside. As I said to them myself when I said I was done with it, I said was 'useless to them'.

The problem is that a specific kind of poster is needed to mod. That is the issue. You need someone who posts often, is willing to use a certain amount of time a week to do the shít that mods need to do, is level headed, has a clean enough posting history, doesn't wind people up, is not scared of a decision and can work within the existing team. It's not just a case of plucking a name out of a hat.

We're also all getting older. We have fulltime jobs. We have families. There is only so much time in a day. Now, I fully agree that we shouldn't take on the role if we can't do it properly, and I was probably guilty of that, but such is life. It's why personal responsibility of posters to not be díckheads, must run alongside active moderation. Ideally a mod can read through all the context, and the hundreds of posts in every thread to get every card and ban absolutely spot on. But there will be days that mods just go through reported posts and take a less thorough route. So it is beholden on posters to help. Don't be a díckhead. Don't get cards, and don't go out if your way to get people carded or banned.

And all of that is without saying that people get asked to mod, and end up saying no. And there is only a certain size of pool to choose from.

Mods more active and people being less like dícks is all that will solve any of this. Mods aren't full time though, so them being more active can only address some of this.

Maybe trialling a few people rather than doing the whole, 'this is the new mod with unlimited power' thing would be possible. Sub forums for United and Liverpool would help this element as you could trial people without the need to give them the power over the full forum.

Couple of things,

Just so you are all aware, when I started this thread I asked the other mods to not mod it. I'll be looking after that bit. It seems there were some users wondering about that.

As far as discussion of mod selection is concerned, it's futile to mention it here as we have to follow a sitewide policy and abide by a process. The policy & process is not public domain and never will be, that's just how the site owners / admins want it.

I'd also ask that you keep your posts to a minimum here 1 or 2 each please. Have a think about your position on what was posted / discussed / argued in the last thread and make it known here. That makes for good digestible feedback.

Thanks for the cooperation so far.

A modest proposal.

Encourage reporting, and use the snip and warning function more. In fact it should be the first reaction any time a poster gets personal or angry.

That whole cycle where a poster winds up another, and the other reacts, and the reaction gets reported, and the person who reacts gets a card, and everyone says it's unfair, but the mods say the provocative post was not reported...it just increases the frustration and perception of uneven modding.

I think posters should be encouraged to report at the first sign of personal or abusive comments, and the first modding move should be to snip the offending portion. After a while posters may realise that all that carefully crafted abuse, it's just wasting their time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If people are so annoyed by a stranger's insight to their particular team just put them on ignore,all of them,as many as you like,it's free, so what if you see the odd quoted post.. scroll by it,you would ignore a stranger in a crowd who had a different opinion,or if brave/stupid enough you would call them on it, but if you don't want to engage..you simply ignore,beggars belief the discussion in the soccer forum feedback.

We all know who/why etc.. it won't change,nor will they.. ever,why are you guys so worked up about it?
    Leave the site,leave the forum,whatever,there are many other sites discussing the exact topics that are here.

You have a choice guys.

I still think separate pool/utd forums are needed,that rivalry will never stop, expecting it to be civil here all the time is foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Could the mods get a poll going :

Should Manchester United and Everton be relegated to the Scottish Premier League ?

1 Yes
    2 No
    3 I like chicken

Thanks
    Ebbsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

1/10 with an extra point for spelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Folks, are the posting rules not clear or something?

Post your opinion only.

Do not quote.

Do not post useless, pointless stuff. 2 bans and posts deleted already today.

I'm trying to get feedback here, it's your forum, hard to fathom how long time members are intent on disrupting it. If you don't want to be here anymore and contribute in a positive way, I can easily fix that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I wish to apologise for that silly post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One idea is that anyone who just puts down a poster because they have a different opinion should back up their own reasons why. I've seen lots of posters who actually posted links,verified tweets etc and were shouted down as anti Liverpool just because they urged caution. No actual counter argument.
    Just because someone doesn't agree with what certain posters think,it doesn't mean they are anti Liverpool or part of a conspiracy yet have been treated as pariahs or trolls. I'm not picking on Liverpool because I'm a United fan but that's been the tone of the thread and the actions of quite a few.
    One liner responses that serve no function but to wind posters up have been very common,zero effort to put across their own views and just being a smartass for the sake of it lend nothing to the debate.
    Maybe the rules of this thread can be tweaked slightly to incorporate them into the coronavirus thread,only quote someone if you have a valid counter argument. Only provide your own ideas on the situation if you believe them to be sincere and not concocted to go on the wind up. Anyone who throws in a one liner that is believed to be a wum automatically gets a thread ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So a user is banned, via a Red Card in this thread yesterday.
    User is posting in the Soccer Forum today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The ignore button has it faults in that yes it stops the poster using it from seeing posters they don't want to engage with.

However it doesn't stop the posters on it from engaging with them and this can and does cause issues for other posters when the poster who is on ignore continues to engage in a one way discussion while more than likely knowing they are on the ignore list of that poster who hasn't engaged with them and telling someone you are putting them on ignore is also against the site rules as far as I know so its a catch 22.

The ignore also doesn't work on quoted posts so when you can still see posters you have on ignore posting.

So I guess my point is using the ignore button is helpful however it doesn't fully solve all issues by using it.

So a user is banned, via a Red Card in this thread yesterday.
    User is posting in the Soccer Forum today.

I'm modding this thread as a cmod, totting doesn't count for the rest of the forum. I've said this to the mods.

I carded the posts instinctively based on what was posted. Probably an error on my part in the scheme of this.

Forgive me for being lenient..

I'll refrain from cards and go straight to stuff you can't see going forward (bans).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whoever posted the link to that 6/7 year old blog showed that the issues on here with some posters go back a lot longer than the 2018 champions league final, There are posters here holding grudges with each other for nearly a decade now by the looks of it.

OK, thread has run for a week. Will be closing it tonight (20/5/20 22:00) so last chance to voice your final opinion.

After that I'll consider all feedback from this thread, what is possible, and what discussions are needed with mods cmods and admins to move stuff along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In my opinion a huge amount of the noise and consternation raised across multiple feedback threads / Helpdesk threads / dispute resolution threads / etc stems from the events of May 26 2018. A feeling exists amongst a vocal but minority subset of the forum that they have not received an eye for an eye. And until they receive that, they will continue to rage for removal of specific mods or major structural changes to how the forum has operated for a decade. In short, they would have the world burn.

This urge is manifesting itself in additional ways: from troll accounts set up solely to thank posts; to troll accounts set up to troll threads under false pretences; to constant sniping and bitterness in shared threads. All heightened by fortunes on the pitch being the reverse of what premier league fans have been used to for most of their adult lives. And all generating reactions and retaliations that are equally useless and self defeating.

You cannot control events and outcomes on the pitch which is the only thing that will make some complainants happy again to discuss football in a shared space with opposition fans.

- Sub forums and segregation will kill what makes the forum unique and essential, don’t do it.
    - The warning / ban system based on escalating punishment and yearly clean downs was the subject of years of analysis, dialogue, review and iteration. Don’t bin it unless you’ve put in the same level of effort to quantify the effects of a replacement system

* Do remove the names from thanks and just allow the numbers to be noted, as a compromise to alleviate any heat from the issue
    * Do continue with the threadban changes and enforcement, a tweak last summer that made sense
    * Do mark the cards of users the mod team consider the main artists of low level trolling. Draw up a list, contact them, tell them they’re on notice and permanently ban them if it doesn’t soften their cough. Trust your mod team on this, not the baying mob

But ultimately ask the serious question of whether any drastic actions are required when the long term perspective is considered. Are their less posters and posts, yes. Is that declination relatively steeper than the site as a whole? I suspect not. Of the user base as a whole, what percentage does the vocal complainants represent? What has changed in football since 2017? And can you solve fortunes on the pitch and their effect on the outlook of the complainants with changes to forum rules?

Ultimately, should you take a hammer to fundamental guard rails that have kept this forum in place and open since it was reopened ~15 years ago? Be sure, very sure, before you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

This is not a one sided issue despite what some want to think above.

Given 'a vocal but minority subset of the forum' were accommodated with a thread to thrash out their concerns over the thanks function which was fairly resoundingly shut down, i feel you owe the courtesy to this other supposed 'vocal but minority subset of the forum' to open a specific thread to voice concerns around what they appear to see as one of the fundamental problems with the forum. If its as small a minority as is believed (or as small as the thanks complainers) that will become quickly apparent and this argument and bitterness around it can potentially be put to bed.

Dont see how its fair to pick and choose which issues get looked at, at a deeper level. It was a minority, but enough people had concerns over the thanks that id deserved investigating and getting the forums thoughts. I dont see why it should be any different on this other topic. Feedback isnt there to protect mods feelings and brush it under the carpet. Air it out. if its a non issue the poll/thread will prove so.

I say this as someone with no skin in the united/liverpool game. Just as someone who has seen the place go to the dogs. And when someone like Steve has made the effort and taken the time to try and get to the bottom of this once and for all, i think it would be a shame to stop halfway through. Enough clearly care that a dedicated discussion on it could finally air grievances, solutions etc rather than it getting lost amongst bickering, debating and other issues

Edit: My view is most of the trouble really does just boil down to personal responsibility, fans of one club hating another, and trolling (a problem for forums since the dawn of them). Those issues are just more inherent and short of adjustments to bannings protocol and charters i dont see how they get fixed. But the thanks and the above issue seem to be the two most practical issues raised with the forum and its makeup. Issues with its running and use that are easier fixed if thats what is required/desired. One has been fleshed out and the other hasnt yet.

People are allowed not like a team. That does not mean this has ro be a place dominated by that.

Posting about dislike for a club or attempts to disrupt the topics about a club or troll those fans should not be acceptable here if we want people to actively get along (within reason). People can go to twitter or whatsapp for that unmodded goading. Get it out of here. I think that can be done by having more control over threads, it is important to create an atmosphere that is cordial and once people get used to discussing instead of dismissing it will help threads. Once people trying to flame are told to go away and stop getting a reaction it will improve.

I think a subforum or a system where posts about more club specific topics existed outside the superthreads would help increase conversation instead of stifle it. I understand a reluctance to go that route is held and don't expect any change there. I think it would be worthwhile as Superthreads are too big to get good converstation and far too easy to disrupt.

Don't let a narrative that the problems of the forum stem from a recent point in time like 2018 or a power dynamic switch. Low level trolling, goading and grouping of posters has gone on a long time.

It is that type of narrative creation that causes unrest and creates a 'A versus B' idea allowing negativity to fester in this forum. It is inflammatory in the least to be so disparaging of others and arguably an example of how low level trolling in its own right even if not the intention (hard to prove intent so a great way to annoy a group if someone wanted). Any kind of behaviour to group people in a negative way must be stamped out. People are entitled to think they are correct about any issue but it is clearly disruptive to group and diregard people in that way.

If the forum is not able to take those steps then just leave it as is, eventually so few people will be left it won't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

When multiple people from different allegiances are saying the same thing, perhaps its worth some additional consideration. A couple of years ago concerns were waved away as they were allegedly down to a vendetta due to Mr Mac being demodded. 12 months ago concerns were waved away as they were allegedly down to United fans not having a great onfield time. Whats the wave away going to be now? Liverpool being on the cusp of winning the league is as good as any so lets use that?

Its telling that the only ones that are saying there is no issue with moderation are those from the very same allegiance as the top heavy mod leaning that the forum has.

Oh, and the "Bolton" fan.
    This has been the MO of yourself and others from the get go, hand waving away.

The issue i have and have always had is fairness. Trotting out stats of how many liverpool fans were carded serves only to illustrate how bad the conduct of many of the posters are.

I can just as easily point to instances where the same offences were not treated in the same manner as others that were reported.

I can just as easily point to rules literally being made up to apply cards.

I can just as easily point to forum rules being changed mid season that would benefit certain parties.

I can just as easily point to people getting access to the forum without the long held requirement of have a minimum post count.

There is no reason to think you or any of the rest of the regulars see any issues. They havnt impacted you.

Just because they havnt impacted does not mean they are not there.

Above are two posts I made in the other thread.

What has been clear and on show in any feedback / helpdesk thread, including this one, is that the same 2 or 3 people have consistently chimed in saying everything is fine. Literally nobody else. Yet multiple people, not just United fans have called out the inconsistencies and / or favoritism displayed in the moderation of the forum.

According to the 2 or 3, everyone else is wrong. The same approach has been on show, plucking reasons from whats topical to try and excuse whats gone on.

I am absolutely certain that fish is biased. I am absolutely certain that he has treated others harsher than he has treated Liverpool fans for the exact same things. The evidence is there in spades, the recent DRP thread where he carded someone for personal abuse for saying "lol" at another poster is evidence enough in itself never mind what has gone before. Whether people choose to bury their heads in the sand is of little consequence.

However I am not calling for him demodded. Do people honestly believe that so many people have that much of a horn for Mr Mac that they would wage a two year campaign to try and get fish removed? Seriously, if you genuinely believe that then its time to stop watching re-runs of The Wire. There is no vendetta or an attempt to "even the score", at least as far as I am concerned.

Like I have said umpteen times, all I expect in this or any forum is fairness. That everyone is treated the same way. If you break the rules you get carded, everyone. That simply is not how the forum is operating at the moment and as fish has obviously been the most active mod in recent times, that falls at his feet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement