Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Returning an unwanted item

Options
  • 25-05-2011 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I bought a pair of trousers today and liked them in the shop, but when I got home and put them on again I completed changed my mind. I want to return them but not because they are faulty or anything, I've just changed my mind.

Would I be likely to get a refund or just a credit note do you think? Any tips on what to say when I bring them back to increase the chances of a refund??

Thanks - having a scatty day!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Depends on the store policy... where did you buy them?
    Most shops have a full refund policy once you have your receipt and the items are in the condition they were sold to you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The majority of the time the store will refund you as long as the clothes are still in perfect condition, but some shops are a bit mean. Which shop did you buy them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Generally the high street are ok with this, its privately owned places that you have to be careful with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I got them in a small boutique rather than a high street chain... will this make a refund more difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Yeah generally smaller shops will only give an exchange or credit note.. If thats their policy they more than likely won't budge on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Susie_Q wrote: »
    I got them in a small boutique rather than a high street chain... will this make a refund more difficult?

Yep, one-off shops can't afford to absorb goodwill refunds, but they will still give credit notes. They still might offer goodwill refunds, but it's unlikely in a boutique. The receipt might say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Gah! Thanks for responses. Receipt doesn't give any info on returns. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how I go. Worst case scenario I get a credit note and HAVE to get a fabulous dress then!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Legally, the shop has zero obligation to do anything for you. If the trousers were faulty in some way, then they would have to do something, but it it's a simple case of "change of mind", then they are not obliged to do anything.

However, most shops are decent and many will offer a full refund, as long as the item is returned with a receipt and intact. Other shops may not refund, but might instead give store credit.

The only way to find out is to head back to the shop and ask nicely.
    Worst case scenario - you're stuck with the pants.
    Medium case scenario - you have store credit for something else.
    Best case scenario - you get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

I'm fairly certain that your not legally entitled to a refund if you change your mind. However most high street chain shops WILL give you a refund as long as your have your receipt.

Not sure about small boutiques.........but there's no harm in asking. All they can say is no. Just be really nice and polite :)

Advertisement