Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY kitchen table

Options
  • 25-05-2021 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Struggling to source exact size of new kitchen table so thinking of doing it myself. I have reasonable carpentry skills with limited tools. Probably solid oak or laminate. Just looking for advice from anyone that has done similar, material suppliers, online designs etc. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what size, solid oak is not easy to work with with limited tools

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Approx 1500 x 800 rectangle. Might just look at getting laminate table top cut to size and knock up a few legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

laminate or laminated?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

Approx 1500 x 800 rectangle. Might just look at getting laminate table top cut to size and knock up a few legs.

have a look at solid wood kitchen worktops comes in oak you would only have to cut to size

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It would be a shame to do a cheapo cheapo job for what is the heart of the kitchen. I see Ikea sell oak tops and offer to cut them to size according to the website anyway. Have you the tools to prepare four legs and aprons/stretchers as M+T joints are pretty much essential - anything else will wobble like a lump of jelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Many thanks folks. I agree that it needs to decent as the heart of the kitchen.
    We also have existing chairs that we are keeping and need to fit underneath.
    We are still playing around with sizes and was in Ikea alright and have this which is very close to what we want size wise.
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/oevraryd-table-bamboo-vaestana-dark-brown-s29167221/

Not mad on the legs but can paint if necessary. Any thoughts on these bamboo table tops - quality, durability etc. 18mm thick.
    Look, you get what you pay for but at €100 plus €115 for legs and frame it's great value.
    What maintenance does the bamboo top need if any ?
    Apologies for straying off topic slightly but it's very relevant for me !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its functional but not much to look at - lets face it. Unfortunately it seems to be unavailable in the Dublin store. Most houses are now getting the 'Far East' look - cheap furniture made in the Pacific rim or by Ikea. I recall a company in Wicklow that I saw at the Xmas show in the RDS selling lovely Walnut tables - at a price of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Many thanks folks. I agree that it needs to decent as the heart of the kitchen.
    We also have existing chairs that we are keeping and need to fit underneath.
    We are still playing around with sizes and was in Ikea alright and have this which is very close to what we want size wise.
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/oevraryd-table-bamboo-vaestana-dark-brown-s29167221/

What maintenance does the bamboo top need if any ?
    Apologies for straying off topic slightly but it's very relevant for me !!

The bamboo top if lacquered, should need no maintainance, it's very hard timber and should make a good table top

Advertisement