Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension vs garden space

Options
  • 12-08-2019 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Currently living in a 3 bed with 105sq mts of space (Dublin). We have a small garden approx 50sq mts. We have 2 kids under 3. We are considering adding on about 25sq mts single storey off the kitchen - extending the kitchen and creating another living area. I am just wondering what peoples view's are on creating more living space vs garden space? Our garden will be reduced to basically a patio area, is this a mistake with 2 small kids or would the increased living area be more beneficial? Would people wait until the kids are older when they might be less inclined to be running around the garden etc and more inclined to be out with other kids in the estate? My own feeling is that for 9 out of the 12 months the garden offers very little in this country and although we would miss it alot when the weather is fine, the added living space might be worth it. Would be interested to hear some views on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If your garden is reduced that much you may not get planning for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

the reduction would leave 25sq mts of open space in the garden which I think is the regulation?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have/had 10m*10m of back garden space, bit of a patio and lawn,I put in an extension and weirdly enough it makes the garden seem bigger and makes it better for the kids to play in as they can go around the corners and stuff. There's a lot more time to be indoors in Ireland than outdoors so my advice would be to put in the extension.

Advertisement