Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weak sterling driving spike in car imports from the UK

Options
  • 21-09-2019 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Weak sterling driving spike in car imports from the UK

Speaking to the Irish Examiner, Mr MacSharry sounded alarm that Ireland is becoming a “dumping ground” for unwanted diesel cars from the UK and Europe.

How about 0 import tax / VAT for electric cars?
    How about building electric car infrastructure?
    How about tackling the fact that cars in this country are
    utterly sh1te in comparison to UK models?
    How about the fact that VRT is totally against the concept
    of an EU "free market".

Mr MacSharry "sounded [the] alarm"!
    The planet is about to get fuqked by global warning and they have
    no policy to deal with it but this is the sh1t he "sounds the alarm over"

Ridiculous!!

So do you plan to buy a new car? Are you going to import it?
    I have an import already, very happy with it.

Anything else you plan on buying while sterling is weak?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/weak-sterling-driving-spike-in-car-imports-from-the-uk-952143.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

SIMI dealers are importing thousands of used cars from the UK, main dealers too, what the hell are they complaining about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

SIMI dealers are importing thousands of used cars from the UK, main dealers too, what the hell are they complaining about?

Because they don't want people going direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Those pesky affordable high spec cars, how dare they import them before the tarifs kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Same car that is a scrap when brought directly becomes well maintained, modern and eco friendly low tax diesel when imported by the dealers.

They obviously don't want general public to do it themselves. Sure we don't know enough about cars to do it :)

Cars were imported for years for many reasons, but obviously weakened sterling and brexit coming in soon made some people buy now rather than wait.

I have an import already, very happy with it.
    Jesus talk about throwing us a curveball. Didn't see that one coming.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I wouldn't be in any rush. Sterling will not be getting any more expensive for at least another 4-5 years. If there is a no deal Brexit next month I would expect it to plummet again. Great if you are a consumer living near the border, terrible if you are a shop keeper in Dundalk.

See link for sterling forecasts up to 2023. They are looking at a further decrease of 15%, they reckon a pound sterling will be worth 94 cents in 4 years. Now you can always say that forecasts can be exaggerated , but even if they are half right it is heading for parity in the nest few years.

https://longforecast.com/pound-to-euro-forecast-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-gbp-to-eur-and-eur-to-gbp

I am not sure about VRT rules, I don't have a car ( I am such a great environmentalist, smug face), but I would imagine the department of finance are delighted with the increase in activity.

The Tory Brexiteers are such cretins, it is incredulous how stupid they are. Selling an idea to the masses which is going to simply devalue their entire economy, it is awful. When you factor this in with the amount of money they are borrowing to deliver Brexit it reads for scary stuff for the UK economy down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm expecting an additional import tax to be introduced at some point which will focus on exhaust emissions. So it'll be smog tax, vrt and vat from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Whatever happened Japanese imports? Seem to have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

kneemos wrote: »

Can be a pain in the hole for “spare pairs”. Higher insurance too.

The “square” reg is the, usual, tell-tale sign it’s from Japan.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

kneemos wrote: »

Don't know , one thing I don't miss is their indicators/ wipers stalk were opposite to ours.
    First time I drove one I'd mean to indicate and wipers would go full tilt. Annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Are these the same diesels the cabbage party encouraged us to buy a decade ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

cjmc wrote: »
    Don't know , one thing I don't miss is their indicators/ wipers stalk were opposite to ours.
    First time I drove one I'd mean to indicate and wipers would go full tilt. Annoying
    Happened me for my driving test, my own corolla was in the garage day of the test, borrowed a mates, lovely sunny day, did reverse around corner, went to pull out and.......... screech!!!!! - wipers, on a bone dry window instead of indicators.
    I passed but was full sure that failed me

Advertisement