Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Mescal reveals ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He is Irish just reminding the Brits :p

Yes The Guardian & Daily Mail did the usual thing claiming him and Andrew Scott as British.

Why do they do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why do they do this?
    Lazy journalism..

Basq wrote: »
    Lazy journalism..

Yes but it happens regularly.

I think it's more than that. I've met several UK people who think Ireland is part of the UK. Unreal.

RTE have gone way overboard on plugging this show at every opportunity.

For a couple of weeks there seemed to be a new non story about the cast on a daily or near daily basis.

Yep and completely unnecessary.

It turned off huge audiences

Total overkill

Lol what?

It more than doubled the previous viewership record for the RTE player, replacing the record that had been set by Love/Hate, and did similar at the BBC.

How did you get the idea that "huge audiences" were turned off given those figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He is Irish just reminding the Brits :p

Yeah he revealed he's Irish today.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

he finally seized the denny, fair play, or at least had some english chick pretending to be from sligo to seize his denny.

i always paraphrased np as 'balibalihaunis reads camus'

good luck to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Yes but it happens regularly.

I think it's more than that. I've met several UK people who think Ireland is part of the UK. Unreal.

He needs to go on a Jonathan Rhys Myers type drunken downward spiral and they wont be long getting his nationality right.

AllForIt wrote: »
    ...something new every few days.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0727/1155675-paul-mescals-reveals-nerves-after-normal-people/

I'm sick of seeing his face to be quite frank. I didn't even watch NP but at this rate I feel like I'm living a portion of my life as his.

Danial Day Lewis never got this much media attention and I'm sorry but from the clips I've seen I don't see any Oscar nominations coming any times soon.

He's no Brad Pitt either, I mean he might get a a degree of attention in Coppers but in the grand scheme of things - slightly above average.

Fair play to him for his 'making it' an all, but jezz, we'll be reading how often he goes to the bathroom per day if this level of media attention doesn't abate.

Ah in fairness to him he's nominated for a few Emmy's which is massive for a TV actor. His life has totally changed the last few months. Seems a grounded lad too to hear in an interview unlike yer man Barry Keoghan whose ego seems to be off the scale.

He can do nothing about the standard of journalism today and as he said himself, his next goal after Normal People is to secure his next bit of work so he's quite correctly taking advantage of the hype and keeping himself in the limelight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yep and completely unnecessary.

It turned off huge audiences

Total overkill

They had a couple of nonsense articles on the homepage yesterday and I see it's one of the top stories today.

I'm completely sick of hearing about it.

• Advertisement

A fine damn good actor.
    A welcome break from interviews with Love Islands wannabes.

The bar is set really high these days :rolleyes:

Ah in fairness to him he's nominated for a few Emmy's which is massive for a TV actor. His life has totally changed the last few months. Seems a grounded lad too to hear in an interview unlike yer man Barry Keoghan whose ego seems to be off the scale.

He can do nothing about the standard of journalism today and as he said himself, his next goal after Normal People is to secure his next bit of work so he's quite correctly taking advantage of the hype and keeping himself in the limelight.

I'm sure he's a nice lad, but from the 2 episodes I struggled through before giving up, I'd estimate he said about 50 words in total - so I can't judge his acting ability from that. He was really just a prop for the female lead's fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

1990sman wrote: »
    he finally seized the denny, fair play, or at least had some english chick pretending to be from sligo to seize his denny.

i always paraphrased np as 'balibalihaunis reads camus'

good luck to him

not a single thanks for that?

cmon its funny and it references classic literature!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I fear this is one of them cases where it was funnier in your head. Commiserations and better luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm sure he's a nice lad, but from the 2 episodes I struggled through before giving up, I'd estimate he said about 50 words in total - so I can't judge his acting ability from that. He was really just a prop for the female lead's fantasies.

Acting isn't about how many words you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Mescal is a cuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yeah, he's still a jobbing actor looking for his next payslip so it's hard to blame him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes The Guardian & Daily Mail did the usual thing claiming him and Andrew Scott as British.

Why do they do this?

It's a bit like the Irish media claiming it's an Irish programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I liked Normal People, thoroughly enjoyed it. And yet, I've barely seen young Mescal a couple of times since I finished watching it. It's almost as if I haven't been taking much notice of him. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,807 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

jimgoose wrote: »
    I liked Normal People, thoroughly enjoyed it. And yet, I've barely seen young Mescal a couple of times since I finished watching it. It's almost as if I haven't been taking much notice of him. :pac:

It’s scary on Instagram.
    People detail where his clothes are from even the brand of his cigarettes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

NIMAN wrote: »

It is Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Rothko wrote: »
    Acting isn't about how many words you say.

John Connors would agree with that. All you have to do is look like a fat head

NIMAN wrote: »

It is an Irish programme.

Based on a book by an Irish author. Set in Ireland. Produced in Ireland by an Irish production company, filmed in Ireland, predominantly Irish cast.

What more do you want?

It has been financed by Hulu (American) and BBC (British) but that does not mean it's a British show that British Media is claiming.

The Crown is funded entirely by Netflix who are American but I would still regard it as a British show.

That's not how you judge acting. Do you not think there was acting in silent films then? Have a look at the performances of old ones. Or watch The Artist for a more modern take.

He's received praise for his portrayal of a troubled person and he delivered a lot more dialogue then you said.

I thought he was excellent and his scene with the psychiatrist was powerful and showed his talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

After being bombarded with references to it I eventually gave in and watched a fair few episodes of Normal People. Not to the end because I suddenly got bored. I like Lenny Abrahamson's stuff though this was occasionally too self conscious. In the end I could not understand the absolute mania for it because I found it to be fairly much Maeve Binchy plus mickies and tits. Enjoyable enough but not mesmerising. But good on the lad for his success. Long may it last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Today's revelation, hold on to your seats...

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0730/1156414-hugh-jackman-sent-paul-mescal-the-most-gorgeous-email/
    Paul Mescal has revealed that Hugh Jackman reached out to him to compliment his work on Normal People.

HUGH JACKMAN, OMG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's 100s of channels out there, actors have.to promote their shows , especially actors who are young and have just started in show biz. No one forces you to read the TV guide.
    It's part of the contract, if you are on a show you have to agree to do interviews.
    I Don, t read interviews with actors, they are using full of cliches. This role was demanding
    I had to learn how to fence, fire a gun etc
    Of course alot of magazines will want an interview with the hot young actor in a big hit
    TV show it was well reviewed.
    It got good ratings
    It's not as if we have alot of famous Irish actors
    who are known in the UK or America
    There's colin farell, Gleeson who was in star wars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Maybe he can duet with Hugh, like he did with Dermot Kennedy

Ballyhaunis doesn't rhyme with Camus I think is the objection man. Harsh, but there are certain standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I thought he was excellent in Normal People.

He seemed a bit wooden at first, but as it progressed I realised he was playing the part of a troubled man struggling to repress his feelings and maintain an image, while dealing with the guilt of how that affected Marianne.

I enjoyed the show, but getting a little weary of him now

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0731/1156602-dermot-kennedy-and-paul-mescal/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭skinny90

Also RTÉ hyped the bejasus out of it for weeks on end

because it was doing so well on the BBC:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I wonder what must be going on inside the lad's brain, to go from obscurity to one of the most famous actors in the world in a few short months. Hollywood A-listers gushing at him, 1 million instagram followers, being papped by tabloids when he's out running, and now dating a famous indie musician. And all while under lockdown. Must be truly bizarre. Hope he doesn't lose the head and pull a Colin Farrell / Jonathan Rhys Myers at some stage down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fair at to him but to be honest form seeing him in interviews I'm not sure how much of normal people was acting

He seems to be just a bit dry and was playing someone very close to himself,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Was it a great programme?

I zoned in and out of it while herself sat in the living room and watched it.

Not great. We're led to believe a load of 19/20 year olds would have such emotional baggage in their lives?

Give me a break. Hey lads what are we doing for the summer holidays? Greece, Ibiza, Majorca or maybe a mad blowout to Thailand?
    No...my parents have a villa in italy. Let's make big bowls of pasta and sit out drinking wine and talking about how problematic our lives are, like a bunch of oul ones in our 50's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

mfceiling wrote: »

Not great. We're led to believe a load of 19/20 year olds would have such emotional baggage in their lives?

Give me a break. Hey lads what are we doing for the summer holidays? Greece, Ibiza, Majorca or maybe a mad blowout to Thailand?
    No...my parents have a villa in italy. Let's make big bowls of pasta and sit out drinking wine and talking about how problematic our lives are, like a bunch of oul ones in our 50's.

To be fair if your doing English in Trinity and your missus is doing ( I cant remember ) in Trinity , Your out look and summer holiday preferences are different to a bunch of lads doing apprenticeships working on building sites ,

That's just life,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,807 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mfceiling wrote: »

Apart from Marianne’s wealth(which does exist)
    I really connected with a lot of the characters and would know people like them.
    I would have done my leaving cert, went to college, etc in around when the whole thing was set tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I thínk the characters are supposed to represent
    Sensitive intelligent people who are in love,
    It's not a program about average people who go to Italy on holidays to drink and have casual sex. I did not watch it but it got very positive reviews.
    At least it does not portray Irish people as certain stereotypes we have seen before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,124 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Apart from Marianne’s wealth(which does exist)
    I really connected with a lot of the characters and would know people like them.
    I would have done my leaving cert, went to college, etc in around when the whole thing was set tough.

It reminded me of the leaving cert and college life more than anything else I have ever seen.
    Not just cos I am Irish.
    Some English reviewers said the same thing about life as an undergrad.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

riclad wrote: »
    I thínk the characters are supposed to represent
    Sensitive intelligent people who are in love,
    It's not a program about average people who go to Italy on holidays to drink and have casual sex. I did not watch it but it got very positive reviews.
    At least it does not portray Irish people as certain stereotypes we have seen before.

‘Normal People’ a bit misleading them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,124 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

‘Normal People’ a bit misleading them?

I wouldnt call literate undergrads abnormal... its another way of being normal.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I wouldnt call literate undergrads abnormal... its another way of being normal.

No, but the poster I responded to said they are ‘sensitive intelligent people’ and aren’t ‘average people’. So not really ‘normal people’.

To be fair if your doing English in Trinity and your missus is doing ( I cant remember ) in Trinity , Your out look and summer holiday preferences are different to a bunch of lads doing apprenticeships working on building sites ,

That's just life,

Aaaaah, what? Students in Trinity are the same as anywhere else. Messy holidays and general youthful buffoonery are just as likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0727/1155675-paul-mescals-reveals-nerves-after-normal-people/

I'm sick of seeing his face to be quite frank. I didn't even watch NP but at this rate I feel like I'm living a portion of my life as his.

Danial Day Lewis never got this much media attention and I'm sorry but from the clips I've seen I don't see any Oscar nominations coming any times soon.

He's no Brad Pitt either, I mean he might get a a degree of attention in Coppers but in the grand scheme of things - slightly above average.

Fair play to him for his 'making it' an all, but jezz, we'll be reading how often he goes to the bathroom per day if this level of media attention doesn't abate.

He’s not even a typical hearttrob as per normal actor convention . Just looks normal and kinda gormless like most Irish people - more power to him by the way ! Hope he enjoys his 15 minutes of fame , but takes his craft seriously by doing stage work so he can ensure he has the skills for a long lasting career in the arts world (if such a thing exists )

The papers have spouted a lot of hyperbole and nonsense about him - well done agent

Apparently he’s a GAA star because he played on a half decent Kildare minor team - hey kudos but the journalists haven’t a scooby doo

I genuinely wish the lad the best . Ride all around him and enjoy himself

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Of my female friends, the Irish women are all like “Meh, he’s grand” and the non-Irish women are like “Schwing!”. They think he’s gorgeous whereas I feel like I’ve seen plenty of Mescals in my life.

Haha, this is true actually. I do think he's very typical-Irish-lad looking. Like you'd see one on every street corner back home. He's definitely attractive, great bod, but the level of attention he's getting seems disproportionate to that. Put him side-by-side with Clooney and Pitt and it's like...really?

American / British women do seem to have a real grá for Irish fellas though and then the brooding, vulnerable, constantly naked jock character he played probably finished off the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Reminds me of the Guardian constantly blowing their load over yer wan who done Fleabag.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of the Guardian constantly blowing their load over yer wan who done Fleabag.

Ding ding ding. I said the same, that the hype reminded me of the Phoebe Waller-Bridge hype of a year or two ago. I haven’t yet watched Fleabag because I was got so goddamn sick of the fawning over Phoebe Waller-Bridge in the meeja. Hype really puts me off things. And it’s the same with Normal People. I watched a small bit of it but just got utterly fed up of hearing about it and could not bring myself to watch the rest.

In my experience, few things live up to intense hype so disappointment is almost a given.

bitofabind wrote: »
    Haha, this is true actually. I do think he's very typical-Irish-lad looking. Like you'd see one on every street corner back home. He's definitely attractive, great bod, but the level of attention he's getting seems disproportionate to that. Put him side-by-side with Clooney and Pitt and it's like...really?

American / British women do seem to have a real grá for Irish fellas though and then the brooding, vulnerable, constantly naked jock character he played probably finished off the job!

All true indeed. At least Mescal is fairly handsome though. I smile when I hear any reference to Niall Horan being good-looking. Now there’s a bog standard looking Irish guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Let me explain to you about how the internet works. Every time you open one of these articles about Paul Mescals, that counts as a "click". And even if you say you didnt open the articles, you posted them here which probably led to 100's more clicks for these articles. The people running sites like the RTE entertainment section will see that articles about Paul Mescals are generating the most interest. So it's hardly surprising that they continue to write about him/Normal People when people like to are reading/sharing these articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is he in The Rolling Stones new music video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I've only read about this lad and this show. Don't watch TV here.
    Chances are this is his moment, he should make the most of it. It doesn't sound like he'll change cinema history any time soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement