Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing http://www.boards.ie/vote

Options
  • 04-02-2011 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Could all of us on Boards.ie predict how the country will vote in the General Election?

Given the size of Boards.ie - 2.225 million unique visitors in January 2011, over 415,000 members registered, over 190,900 active, and over 28,700 people having posted on the site over 128,500 times in the last 7 days - we thought it would be interesting to see just how accurate we could be.

We've put together http://www.boards.ie/vote to see just how this might work.

ge_1.jpg

Our election simulator invites all Boards.ie members to place a vote as they will in the General Election for candidates and parties. Only Boards.ie members can use the site.

You can vote for your candidates, decide to spoil your vote or just let us know you're undecided. We'll total the votes in the same way as it will be in the General Election (the Droop quota method and the Single Transferable Vote system of Proportional Representation) and update the results every hour.

vote-help-reorder.png

We'll also be allowing people to check the Latest National Results and see who's doing well in their local constituency.

Coupled with our general election discussions and other innovations we hope to introduce , we're hoping this will remind people of the importance of having a vote and using it.

stats_2.jpg

WHERE HAS ALL THE DATA COME FROM?

The simulator went live at 16:00 on Friday 4 Feb, 2011. We've been testing out our first go at this with our moderators over the last couple of days. All of our information is public information, uploaded with thanks to TheJournal.ie

HOW ACCURATE IS IT?

While we hope it will be fairly representative, we are realistic in terms of accuracies. Some Boards.ie members who vote in this may not actually be eligible to vote in the actual election.

We also know some people may go to the trouble of registering duplicate accounts to game the system. We'll do our best to monitor the site and identify offenders, but because this is the first time we've done this, it's difficult to predict what the results will be.

IS MY VOTE PRIVATE?

Details of your votes or preferences are NOT available to any members, moderators, Administrators or the Community Managers of Boards.ie, nor to any political parties, partners, advertisers or affiliates.

It will not be recorded on your public profile. It is recorded in our database in the same way as PM's and Private Forum messages, only accessible by our technical team.

HOW CAN I CONTACT YOU?

We'd love to hear any constructive feedback you have. If you need to contact us, just post below or drop us a line at hello@boards.ie and we'll do our best to help.

If you spot any errors or omissions, please let us know here.

Your support, help and input is appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

Okay.... this is brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hi Darragh, great idea!

One thing though, at the moment I can vote in mine and then go and vote in Mayo if I want, I know then the Mayo vote will only be counted but it would be more realistic to lock each member to their initial constituiency which in all likelihood, would be their actual constituency.

Anyway, nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

watch the media use this all the way to the election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Looks great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Fantastic idea and well designed application.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is a brilliant idea, and I am very glad to see the candidates in my constituencey displayed as they will be on the polling card. I will go through their profiles and make a more informed decision than I usually do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

enda1 wrote: »
    Couple of points.

Constituency maps are wrong. I chose Dublin South and it highlighted all of Dublin county.

Secondly: The official ballot hasn't been finalised yet!!
    This will basically screw up all you results and I suggest locking this vote thing until the ballots are finalised.

But it's open-ended, you can revisit your vote when the full lists are disclosed after Feb 9th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Good work, congrats to the coders :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Great idea Darragh, get the copyright on this quick before RTE start using it.

Quick question, how come this can be done up in no time and up and running on the Boards and the eVoting machines were a disaster lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Great idea, but I agree gambiamans comment above. Would it be possible to lock or limit each user to their own constituency?

Just saw this message.

Revisit the site at any time to update your voting preferences, change your constituency, or just to check out the latest results.

Does that mean that, if I've already voted in my own constituency and I now vote in say Dublin Central will this erase my Kildare North results from the db?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Brilliant idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

gambiaman wrote: »
    But it's open-ended, you can revisit your vote when the full lists are disclosed after Feb 9th.

Yeah but who will?

Seems a bit foolish to me. I think it's better to wait until the real lists are out. But hey, its a nice idea anyway, quite well implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Great idea :) I've just voted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Sinn Fein has 10% :eek:

Im scared now!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Does that mean that, if I've already voted in my own constituency and I now vote in say Dublin Central will this erase my Kildare North results from the db?

Only your last vote counts which is a good idea imo. You can change your mind as many times as you like or simply flip between FF and FG constantly just like the real electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

What about the Boards voters abroad??? Do they get to vote? :D

Great Idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I just did it, what a class plan! I would imagine it would be pretty accurate too. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I just did it, what a class plan! I would imagine it would be pretty accurate too. Brilliant!

It wont be that accurate at all I'd imagine! The strongest voters (old people) wouldn't make up many boards members!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

It wont be that accurate at all I'd imagine! The strongest voters (old people) wouldn't make up many boards members!

Yeah, good point, didn't think of that one! DOH :o

At least you're encouraging all boards members to register to vote (very responsible). If everyone actually used their vote it could really shake up the political parties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Thanks for the feedback and the corrections folks. Will pass all those on and get errors fixed as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Done.

NEXT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Ye prob know already, but it doesn't seem to work on mobile. . . Or else my mobile is just outdated!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Up to 1000 votes already, congrats guys!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I ticked the "Show a badge next to my posts on Boards.ie" box, but I'm not seeing any badge next to my posts (or other uses' posts). Am I missing something?

Edit: Seems to be fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

brilliant & enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Great idea imo! Has the potential to be waay more accurate than any opinion poll too.

+1 on locking voters to their constituency though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Brilliant idea and very well implemented..well done.

Schorpio wrote: »
    Great idea imo! Has the potential to be waay more accurate than any opinion poll too.

erm...no, it will not be accurate at all as the demographic of boards.ie users in no way reflects the demographic of poeple who actually vote.

Good indication of the feelings of the 14-40 year olds in the country maybe but a very high percentage of them do not vote compared to older people.

It would be great if this were not the case but unfortunately it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mikegalway

Well done. This will turn out to be a very accurate forecaster.

Advertisement