Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign at Cork Airport.. what were they smoking?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well thanks for that Dave! :D Yeah you can see where they painted over a line of type. Proberly done last night!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's been visible for ages. I flew out of Cork airport last week and it was clearly visible. Isnt there another sign by Lemybrien or else I could be totally mistaken, I thought it was on the road to Cork where there is another similar sign

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

not wanting to steal Dave's thunder or anything.. but I got a better photo this afternoon :p

http://blog.rymus.net/2006/01/04/conduire-a-what/

The above is a link to it on my blog, the following is the photo on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/rymus/82132462/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

That's pretty stupid, but it could be worse. They could have put the incorrect translation in Irish. :-/
    It's a good point. The sign is put up by a state-owned body and includes English text. Are they not obliged to put up an Irish translation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Litcagral wrote:
    Aer Rianta !!!! no one will have been responsible - no one will bear the blame - no one will be at fault - six month inquiry - findings will be inconclusive etc. etc. !!!!
    Yes, but it won't just be the Senior Counsel wearing the wigs at any enquiry involving Aer Rianta.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to the Cork Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's a good point. The sign is put up by a state-owned body and includes English text. Are they not obliged to put up an Irish translation?
    Why? Just in case any gaelgors forget that we actually tend to drive on the left in their country of birth?

The words "O'Cuiv" and "tout" spring immediately to mind.

Speaking of which, since there isin't even the letter 'V' in the Irish alphabet, he should be renaming himself, never mind Dingle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Well, maybe because of the following, but I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say for sure.
    9.—(1) The Minister may by regulations provide that oral announcements (whether live or recorded) made by a public body, the headings of stationery used by a public body and the contents and the lay-out of any signage or advertisements placed by it shall, to such extent as may be specified, be in the Irish language or in the English and Irish languages and different provisions may be made in relation to different classes of body, oral announcements, stationery, signage or advertisements.

(2) Where a person communicates in writing or by electronic mail in an official language with a public body, the public body shall reply in the same language.

(3) Where a public body communicates in writing or by electronic mail with the general public or a class of the general public for the purpose of furnishing information to the public or the class, the body shall ensure that the communication is in the Irish language or in the English and Irish languages.
    Though as you point out, there's very little chance of the natives forgetting which side of the road to drive on, so maybe the law really is an ass in this case. (come to think of it though, is Jim McDaid a Gaelgoir?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

that is really very funny :D
    i have past that sign for years and never noticed but ofcourse i never did french
    i guess neither did the person who wrote it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I wonder who let them know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Bond-007 wrote:
    I wonder who let them know about it?
    it looks like they are aware of it, sure didn't they colour it in so you can't read it?? http://blog.rymus.net/2006/01/04/conduire-a-what/
    probably cost them more to have someone colour it in than it would have had to make a whole new one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

the sign was only put up recently along with the overhead signs for the new terminal,it wasnt painted over,it just wasnt scratched off as they probably realised the mistake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's not just the French that are being confused by Cork airport and getting them to drive on the wrong side of the road. Now they are trying to do the same trick to the Welsh, but in their own country.

Cerddwyr edrychwch i'r chwith

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It shold be pointed out that we are likely dealing with different "theys" in these cases.

I'm sure that them that did that in Cork are different to them that did that in Wales ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Its been changed.............

now correctly reads "gauche"...........

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Yes it's been changed...by pop rivetting a small sign saying gauche over the offending word.
    So it stands as an obviously admended monument to someones inattenion in French lessons.

BTW a Swiss freind of mine works at the Airport Business Park and drives past the sign everyday. Never even noticed to I pointed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

i heard a similar story about a sign in wales tellin ppl not to turn left and in welsh not to turn right, but that was with a sign in welsh, a mistake which you'd think the guy puttin up the sign would spot when he was puttin it up, unless its a really subtle form of Apartheid

sorry dude, just spotted your post about the welsh sign after i posted about it... je m'escuse

• Advertisement
Advertisement