Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society-Mitchelstown-June 16th-11:00am

Options
  • 23-05-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi Lads
    Midway through the outings this is my home course we are playing next up.As I said at the start of the year we needed to play a few courses with more competitive green fees to make the average outing at a good price..... so Mitchelstown is one of those.
    I know people might be expecting me to be the hot favourite here but be warned! it is a hard course with some quality holes that are scorebreakers to even the best of golfers!!:eek:
    "Come and play the 4th hole. It's Index 1 and it reminds me-don't laugh-of augusta.The hole drops to a flat fairway around a few lone pines and the green sits behind the river in the shadows of the majestic trees"
    High praise from Kevin Markham indeed;):D
    Now that were finally playing summer golf I would expect the course to be in great condition and hopefully we get numbers back to normal here.Its only 5 minutes from the main Dublin-Cork motorway and pretty much 5 minutes into the Cork border so not a long haul journey.
    The cost of this outing is 30euro to members and 35 to visitors who are always welcome.
    Talk soon
    PP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

I would love to be attending this outing especially the Captains Home course but I'll be away on holidays that week. Best of luck and I hope everyone has a great day.

Sorry Captain.......

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

I'm on me holliers as well. Hope to resume again at Palmerstown!!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭a post punk

Macker1 wrote: »
    I would love to be attending this outing especially the Captains Home course but I'll be away on holidays that week. Best of luck and I hope everyone has a great day.

Sorry Captain.......
    No problem Macker, enjoy the holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

A win on the Captain's course in the Rebel county ...ahhh what dreams are made of.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm going to a gig back in Dublin that day (Flight of the conchords). It was originally supposed to be on a few weeks ago but had to be rescheduled because one of them was injured. Have a meal booked before it too.

Won't make it to Cork & back in time so going to have to miss this one Captain.

Really sorry about this, the dates have been working against me this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Bring it on!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

I wont make it again sorry lads... thankfully this time it's due to a friend's wedding & not a golf ball to the head :) (if anyone wants to see a disgusting pic of said ball to the head I can post it on here... not nice tho!)

have a great day lads!!!

Are you getting honorary membership Ken??

benny79 wrote: »
    Are you getting honorary membership Ken??

haha I doubt it, meant to be sorting us with a round soon again. hopefully it goes a bit better than the last day... 3 pars from 4 holes tho... I doubt i'll do any better :)

A round soon?? You for real?

Id be straight onto a solicitor and I wouldn't be settling for anything less than honorary membership + 20,000 at minimum!!

• Advertisement

A round soon?? You for real?

Id be straight onto a solicitor and I wouldn't be settling for anything less than honorary membership + 20,000 at minimum!!

typical Dub :P (JOKE!!!)

i'm sure they'll sort me out next time i'm down, i'm not one for the suing culture... was an accident. mightn't have been handled great but shur we'll see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Aye aye Captain. Will be just back from me holliers. So will be out for the shot back for later in the year :pac:

Fair enough not really one myself but I be looking for honorary membership at least just because of the course it is! :D and you would never afford it otherwise unless your 6 numbers came up on the lotto! imagine teeing it up in the next Pro-am with Rory or Shane :cool:

P.s Just make sure you at least get a free boards outing there and maybe a overnight stay with a free bar.. least they could do :D

Fair enough not really one myself but I be looking for honorary membership at least just because of the course it is! :D and you would never afford it otherwise unless your 6 numbers came up on the lotto! imagine teeing it up in the next Pro-am with Rory or Shane :cool:

P.s Just make sure you at least get a free boards outing there and maybe a overnight stay with a free bar.. least they could do :D

now i'm not saying I wouldn't accept a few perks :)

Not asking for much :) ha ha

A win on the Captain's course in the Rebel county ...ahhh what dreams are made of.. :D
    We’ll do a proper bet on that 1 Benny!! Doubt you’ll make the top 3 with the new handicap :)

We’ll do a proper bet on that 1 Benny!! Doubt you’ll make the top 3 with the new handicap :)

Ohhh... Now thats a challenge I will accept... Up the Dubs... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

Looks like I won't be able to make it unfortunately. Open Week in the tennis club finishes up that day and I'm also supposed to be going to a gig that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Lads with the holidays, gigs, weddings and tennis tournaments, I am afraid my excuse is not as good as any of those - I will be away with work - I will be missing this event and our captains prize which is on the next week.... another 2 weeks in the US of A for my sins!!
    Yes this too is my home course and I would have fancied a top 3 around here even on a bad day given that there are holes that you will club differently second time around.... Hole by Hole soon to follow....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

jaysus lads, numbers are shocking htis year, to many clashes, and i'm another i'm afraid this time.
    between the wifes birthday and wedding anniversary i usually miss the june outing every year but i've missed to many this year.
    will be raring to go for the next 3 though.

• Advertisement

Course guide from a "high handicapper" :D
    Hole #1: Straight up Par 5 - plenty of room for your drive but the tee box tempts you to aim right of where you should aim..... hole narrows a bit for 2nd shot and the green is reachable for the longer hitters especially on dry ground. 2 tiered green where 10 yards over the back is dead. Take note of the pin position.
    Hole #2: Beautiful hole Par 4 - Dogleg left to right but again a wide open space for your drive - a bad shot left is ok but not right given all the trees - long narrow green can be deceiving
    Hole #3: Short Par 3 - bunkers to the right of the green tend to swallow golf balls - a lot of trees which protected this green were swallowed by Ophelia but still is a nice hole to play
    Hole #4: Index 1 Par 4 - as PP said above this is the signature hole of the course - members tip - if its a dry day hitting a 3 or 4 iron will get you as far as a drive and is safer as the hole narrows the further you go down. The river in front of the green owes me approx. 300 golf balls at this stage :D Don't underestimate the second shot here.
    Hole #5: Straight Par 4 - once you can drive it past the fairway bunkers - green is difficult - if the pin is at the back don't let it tempt you - it sits on an elevated part of the green and over the back is never any good
    Across the road:  After holes 1 thru 5 you go to the new side of the course - you have to cross a road so be careful
    Hole #6: Difficult Par 5 with OB all down the left - into the wind this is a real beast - if you go right, it's ok you are on the 7th fairway and can play it back. 3 shotter all day long.... and the green is also difficult when you get up there sometimes you may not even have a putt if on the green
    Hole #7: Par 4 - the second shot in this hole is one of the most scenic on the course - Dogleg Par 4 right to left, as you are turning the dogleg, Galtee Mór mountain sits on top of the green - its a great view however if you go left of the fairway on your tee shot - it's a real narrow green with good bunkering to hold it. Great hole. Play for position off the tee.
    Hole #8: Another Par 5 - Dogleg left to right off the tee and then slightly right to left into the green with OB either side of the fairway as it narrows into the green - this hole is always a struggle, but if you play it sensible then all should be ok - the green will be quick in June so leave yourself an uphill putt
    Hole #9: Short downhill Par 3 - About 20 yards downhill from the teebox so picking the right club is all important. Over the back is dead but short is ok.
    Hole #10: Another Par 5 - Dogleg right to left this time - tee shot has OB all down the left but loads of room right - take aim at the right fairway bunker and let rip - 9 times out of ten you will miss it :) After that it's about leaving yourself your number so that you can hit another narrow green. More trouble on the left but generally you will be away from that.
    Hole #11: Last hole on the new side of the course - Par 3 uphill - whatever club you think it is - add one. Very difficult green to hit and if you miss it equally difficult to get it up and down. Right of the green and you are chipping onto a downslope that will run off the green - left and you most likely will not be able to see the bottom of the flag for your chip/pitch
    Back to the old side of the course - difference in age on both sides of the course is approx. 100 years and it tells.....
    Hole #12: Index 2 Par 4 - almost 90 degree dogleg left to right - this hole is tricky - tee box is tucked so you can't effectively cut the corner without a risky slice of some sort - driver is too much on a dry day as you will run through the fairway at the other end (PP might disagree) - but it's all about the second shot - the open space on the new side of the course in contrast to the green surrounded by monstrous trees - and a heavily sloped green to boot. If you have shots here - use them...
    Hole #13: Straight Par 4: Drive is straight forward however ideally you should stay to the left of the fairway - after that your approach is to a downhill green with the river coming back into play on the right - better to fly the green as the fairway contours towards the river
    Hole #14: Another iconic hole from Mitchelstown Golf Course - Par 3 again over the river which shouldn't be in play really as it's so close to the tee box but it's amazing how water messes with your head. the green is straight forward and short is always ok here - left or right is never good
    Hole #15: Tricky short Par 4 - Tee to green is only 265 yards but between you is a large tree blocking a nice size pond.... I normally hit a 4/5 iron off this tee to the left of the big tree leaving a wedge into the green which is again long and narrow - over the back is dead - not worth taking it on ever I would say..... This hole when you look back from green to fairway is a tremendous setting.
    Hole #16: Tricky tee shot where the fairway contours from right to left, if you get a good kick, you can leave yourself with a simple second shot in - right and long is in no mans land, chip out sideways, too far left and you are also chipping out. Green can be difficult to hit from the right with bunkers also on that right hand side.
    Hole #17: For me is probably the most disappointing hole on the course - Long Par 3 uphill - at least a 3 hybrid for me. Firstly you are hitting over the 16th green, the hill at the that time in the round would flatten the fittest of us, also the green is flat with no bunkering. I think if they made the green smaller and brought the teebox to the other side of the 16th- it would be a much better hole - could possibly even tuck the 16th green a bit more.
    Hole #18: To finish however, is a great Par 4 - off the tee it's straight ahead but the line is near the tree line on the left as the fairway cambers to the right, the second shot is into a significantly raised green with a false front - make sure and take enough club for your second shot.

Hopefully this helps! Feel free to ask any questions on the course.

Played 12 holes last night - the dry weather has really helped the course - should be perfect when you guys get there. Greens were a little on the slow side but I would think that they were minding them with the really hot weather.

ssbob wrote: »
    Course guide from a "high handicapper" :D
    Hole #1: Straight up Par 5 - plenty of room for your drive but the tee box tempts you to aim right of where you should aim..... hole narrows a bit for 2nd shot and the green is reachable for the longer hitters especially on dry ground. 2 tiered green where 10 yards over the back is dead. Take note of the pin position.
    Hole #2: Beautiful hole Par 4 - Dogleg left to right but again a wide open space for your drive - a bad shot left is ok but not right given all the trees - long narrow green can be deceiving
    Hole #3: Short Par 3 - bunkers to the right of the green tend to swallow golf balls - a lot of trees which protected this green were swallowed by Ophelia but still is a nice hole to play
    Hole #4: Index 1 Par 4 - as PP said above this is the signature hole of the course - members tip - if its a dry day hitting a 3 or 4 iron will get you as far as a drive and is safer as the hole narrows the further you go down. The river in front of the green owes me approx. 300 golf balls at this stage :D Don't underestimate the second shot here.
    Hole #5: Straight Par 4 - once you can drive it past the fairway bunkers - green is difficult - if the pin is at the back don't let it tempt you - it sits on an elevated part of the green and over the back is never any good
    Across the road:  After holes 1 thru 5 you go to the new side of the course - you have to cross a road so be careful
    Hole #6: Difficult Par 5 with OB all down the left - into the wind this is a real beast - if you go right, it's ok you are on the 7th fairway and can play it back. 3 shotter all day long.... and the green is also difficult when you get up there sometimes you may not even have a putt if on the green
    Hole #7: Par 4 - the second shot in this hole is one of the most scenic on the course - Dogleg Par 4 right to left, as you are turning the dogleg, Galtee Mór mountain sits on top of the green - its a great view however if you go left of the fairway on your tee shot - it's a real narrow green with good bunkering to hold it. Great hole. Play for position off the tee.
    Hole #8: Another Par 5 - Dogleg left to right off the tee and then slightly right to left into the green with OB either side of the fairway as it narrows into the green - this hole is always a struggle, but if you play it sensible then all should be ok - the green will be quick in June so leave yourself an uphill putt
    Hole #9: Short downhill Par 3 - About 20 yards downhill from the teebox so picking the right club is all important. Over the back is dead but short is ok.
    Hole #10: Another Par 5 - Dogleg right to left this time - tee shot has OB all down the left but loads of room right - take aim at the right fairway bunker and let rip - 9 times out of ten you will miss it :) After that it's about leaving yourself your number so that you can hit another narrow green. More trouble on the left but generally you will be away from that.
    Hole #11: Last hole on the new side of the course - Par 3 uphill - whatever club you think it is - add one. Very difficult green to hit and if you miss it equally difficult to get it up and down. Right of the green and you are chipping onto a downslope that will run off the green - left and you most likely will not be able to see the bottom of the flag for your chip/pitch
    Back to the old side of the course - difference in age on both sides of the course is approx. 100 years and it tells.....
    Hole #12: Index 2 Par 4 - almost 90 degree dogleg left to right - this hole is tricky - tee box is tucked so you can't effectively cut the corner without a risky slice of some sort - driver is too much on a dry day as you will run through the fairway at the other end (PP might disagree) - but it's all about the second shot - the open space on the new side of the course in contrast to the green surrounded by monstrous trees - and a heavily sloped green to boot. If you have shots here - use them...
    Hole #13: Straight Par 4: Drive is straight forward however ideally you should stay to the left of the fairway - after that your approach is to a downhill green with the river coming back into play on the right - better to fly the green as the fairway contours towards the river
    Hole #14: Another iconic hole from Mitchelstown Golf Course - Par 3 again over the river which shouldn't be in play really as it's so close to the tee box but it's amazing how water messes with your head. the green is straight forward and short is always ok here - left or right is never good
    Hole #15: Tricky short Par 4 - Tee to green is only 265 yards but between you is a large tree blocking a nice size pond.... I normally hit a 4/5 iron off this tee to the left of the big tree leaving a wedge into the green which is again long and narrow - over the back is dead - not worth taking it on ever I would say..... This hole when you look back from green to fairway is a tremendous setting.
    Hole #16: Tricky tee shot where the fairway contours from right to left, if you get a good kick, you can leave yourself with a simple second shot in - right and long is in no mans land, chip out sideways, too far left and you are also chipping out. Green can be difficult to hit from the right with bunkers also on that right hand side.
    Hole #17: For me is probably the most disappointing hole on the course - Long Par 3 uphill - at least a 3 hybrid for me. Firstly you are hitting over the 16th green, the hill at the that time in the round would flatten the fittest of us, also the green is flat with no bunkering. I think if they made the green smaller and brought the teebox to the other side of the 16th- it would be a much better hole - could possibly even tuck the 16th green a bit more.
    Hole #18: To finish however, is a great Par 4 - off the tee it's straight ahead but the line is near the tree line on the left as the fairway cambers to the right, the second shot is into a significantly raised green with a false front - make sure and take enough club for your second shot.

Hopefully this helps! Feel free to ask any questions on the course.
    Good notes , pretty much agree with everything. Hole 12 and 15 are score breakers so watch out!! You have been warned

We need to get the numbers up on this one lads , is there anyone looking in that’s on the fence about travelling down?? You are literally just over the Limerick border into Cork so not a long slog atall:)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

And i will try this again, anyone willing to share the ride from Dublin or surroundings? Coming from Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

We need to get the numbers up on this one lads , is there anyone looking in that’s on the fence about travelling down?? You are literally just over the Limerick border into Cork so not a long slog atall:)

Waiting on word from Work. #StupidOnCall

jarrieta wrote: »
    And i will try this again, anyone willing to share the ride from Dublin or surroundings? Coming from Bray

Id collect you from Athy not much help I know.. but a option...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Id collect you from Athy not much help I know.. but a option...

Thanks, that is indeed an option, would make the trip a bit longer but last half will be more fun, will think about it

• Advertisement

Advertisement