Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hank Azaria no longer voicing Apu

Options
  • 18-01-2020 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

So it's official that Simpsons voice actor will no longer voice Indian shopkeeper Apu because of the claims that the Indian shopkeeper is a racist stereotype.

How the **** have we gotten to this stage?

Is there anyone on here that agrees that it is racist?

Do they feel the same about groundskeeper Willie?

Is there anything that is NOT offensive these days or is it a case if one person finds offence about anything, they must be respected and therefore it becomes offensive?

I look forward to our bland, colourless, inoffensive, non risk taking utopia that the vocal minority seem hellbent on achieving.

Oh and before the usual suspects come on and ask if I'm offended about people taking offence (lolz...burn) I'm not offended. I'm sick of it.

I just want to see where peoples lines are when it comes to offence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The world changes, attitudes change, the Simpsons was first aired in the late 80s.

Things like blackface and the black and white minstrels used to be acceptable entertainment and now they're not. I don't think it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I wonder will they go full Tom and Jerry and revoice older episodes. Possibly even editing out some scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I thought the issue was more a white man doing the voice?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is this topic really worthy of yet another thread? And who is still watching The Simpsons anyway? It died when it went from satirising pop culture to fawning over it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 39,445 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I wonder will they go full Tom and Jerry and revoice older episodes. Possibly even editing out some scenes.

They've revoiced old tom and jerry episodes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Hardly Current Affairs, lads. Moving to Television.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    They've revoiced old tom and jerry episodes ?

Yeah, specifically the character "mammy two shoes".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I thought this happened about two years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

NDWC wrote:
    I thought this happened about two years ago

It was only today when he came out and said he was definitely not ever voicing him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Yeah, specifically the character "mammy two shoes".

I always thought she owned the house (and Tom), it wasn't until years later that I realised she was meant to be a servant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Good. Hopefully the writers will stop writing it soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Now you’re talking

Thank you, come again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Thank you, come again!

Racist

• Registered Users Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not offended.
    Just take the show out back and put a bullet in its head like Old Yeller. It's outstayed its welcome by a few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Ironicname wrote: »
    Racist

I hear your a racist now, Father? Should we all be racist now? What's the Church's position? I'm so busy down on the farm I won't have much time for the ol' racism.

Advertisement