Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gericom laptops

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seems like good value- seeing as the prices are inclusive of VAT and shiping.
    One thing from the pdf file though- they are all equipped with desktop processors- not sure what that means for battery longevity......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Means shorter ;) (I know you know, but do I know ?)

So unless you are looking for a desktop replacment (Around a power socket all the time) probably not what you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Originally posted by smccarrick
    Seems like good value- seeing as the prices are inclusive of VAT and shiping.
    One thing from the pdf file though- they are all equipped with desktop processors- not sure what that means for battery longevity......

I recently bought a Gericom laptop from Aldi and it deffo has a P4 M processor. WCPUID confirms that. WinXP lists the laptop as the Hummer modal?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

http://www.gericom.com/Abverkauf/Datenblätter/251S6.pdf

Its defo a 533MHz fsb 3.06GHz desktop P4 processor (at least in the 799 sterling model)- I only checked one set of specs, didn't have the time to look at the others).

If it was the P4M chips they were selling- it would be the most fantastic value ever.

Ps- Only two of the laptops have dedicated graphics cards- the others have a collection of SiS and Intel extreme graphics chipsets, with shared memory (having had a look at some of the other specs).

Even so- at the quoted prices its not bad going at all.

Specs are as follows:

Technical Data:
    Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 / Intel® Celeron®
    Frequency / FSB up to 2,66 GHz Pentium 4 / up to 2 GHz Celeron
    Chipset Intel 82845GV + Intel 82801DB (ICH4) FSB400/533
    Display 14" and 15" TFT
    Graphics shared memory (Intel 82845GV)
    Harddisk up to 80 GB
    Memory up to 512 MB
    Sound 16bit Soundsystem, SB-Pro-compatible + AC 97 CODEC, 2 internal stereo
    speakers, internal mic, VT1612A
    Drives DVD/CD-RW or DVD-R/-RW
    Floppy drive No
    Interfaces 5x USB 2.0, VGA-Out, Line out for headphones, Mic-in, 56k Modem V.90,
    10/100 Mbit LAN, TV-Out (S-video), PS/2, parallel
    Battery smart Li-Ion 6 cells or 8 cells (2000 mAh)
    Wireless
    Quick Launch Buttons 2 Hotkeys: Webbrowser, E-mail
    Certificates EMC: CE, FCC-DOC, BSMI, VCCI
    LVD: TÜV-LVD, C-UL, UL, CE, CCC, Nordic, Nemko-CB
    COMM.: R&TTE(CTR21), FCC PART68
    Software Microsoft® Windows® XP, Nero Burning ROM, PowerDVD
    Dimensions 345x282x39 mm / 3,5 kg

The ALDI one has the GeforceFX Go with 128mb dedicated RAM. Can't seem to fine it on the Gericom site though? All the Hummers seem to have the ****e intel extreme graphics.

I thought it had a regular P4 CPU in it when I bought it originally but it was happy days when I realized it was a P4M @ 3.06Ghz (HT) :)
    Intel 82845G chipset I think.

Still hard on the battary though. And only burns DVD-Rs at 2x :o ....ah well.
    I'll try a WCPUID screenshot later at home.

• Advertisement

Attached WCPUID screenshot of Gericom laptop.

Advertisement