Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubeless Puncture cost

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I just used the kit to patch the tubeless tyre. The plug just wouldn't go in so I had to cut it down to half the size. Would have been impossible to do roadside without a scissors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Lots more info, opinions and tales of tubeless on https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057818455

Got another puncture close to the end of a spin yesterday, coming through Irishtown. Air gushing out pretty fast.
    Got the wheel off, plugged, and pumped up again in no time.
    The two lads I was with couldn't understand how I fixed a puncture so quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I had to put two plugs in to seal a hole yesterday - didn't notice it on Saturday, but just noticed the tyre was flat in storage yesterday. Seemed to be ok leaving this morning, but after one botched attempt at cutting the excess (and pulling out the plug) yesterday, I just plugged and left it after a few minutes wheel spinning!

Going to have to add either a double chamber pump or an airshot to the workshop. Any recommendations on which option is better? I don't have an expensive track pump, but it's working fine with no issues. I'll be shopping in the same cheaper end of the market for a double chamber one (lifeline/ planet x). Also, if I can get over the schrader to presta issue, I still have a shock pump if the current pump can't get an airshot up to pressure (I have the the connectors, which I'll use with my in laws compressor in the meantime).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Effects wrote: »
    Got another puncture close to the end of a spin yesterday, coming through Irishtown. Air gushing out pretty fast.
    Got the wheel off, plugged, and pumped up again in no time.
    The two lads I was with couldn't understand how I fixed a puncture so quickly!
    Plugged using those little worm things?

Do you even need to take the wheel off for one of those?

I really need to teach myself how to use them, tried once and it was a complete failure, hole looked too small to plug but was still not sealing with sealant

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Going to have to add either a double chamber pump or an airshot to the workshop. Any recommendations on which option is better?

I went with this one.
    It's still in the post so can't comment. The price was decent.
    As luck would have it, the gauge on my cheap track pump broke the day after ordering from Rose bikes, so while it works, I'll need to get a new one to get my pressures right.

Plugged using those little worm things?

Do you even need to take the wheel off for one of those?

I really need to teach myself how to use them, tried once and it was a complete failure, hole looked too small to plug but was still not sealing with sealant

Yeah, I have this kit here. Took a while to find one in Dublin, and the store that had it only had it by accident.

I found the plugs too big, so I have some of them cut lengthways so they are only half the size. I couldn't get a full sized one in.

You don't have to take the wheel off but I figured it would be easier to work with. I'm terrified of losing the seat between the tyre and wheel and getting stuck on the side of the road.

Effects wrote: »
    I went with this one.
    It's still in the post so can't comment. The price was decent.
    As luck would have it, the gauge on my cheap track pump broke the day after ordering from Rose bikes, so while it works, I'll need to get a new one to get my pressures right.
    Yes, that's the one I was looking at too.

Back on the airblaster v dual chamber track pump question...

Lidl have compressors coming up, for not much more than a dual chamber pump. So anyone with experience have an opinion on whether that's a better for the job? Obviously a bit more multi-functional* than either other option, if a lot less portable...

*sand blaster and spray gun also on sale, and an old steel frame waiting to be restored hanging in the shed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Macy0161 wrote:
    *sand blaster and spray gun also on sale, and an old steel frame waiting to be restored hanging in the shed...

A small compressor like these coupled with one of these sand blasters will not remove paint.
    I have a larger compressor and it still won't remove paint with those blasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Back on the airblaster v dual chamber track pump question...

Lidl have compressors coming up, for not much more than a dual chamber pump. So anyone with experience have an opinion on whether that's a better for the job? Obviously a bit more multi-functional* than either other option, if a lot less portable...

Are they petrol or electric compressors? Does anyone here use them for drying bikes? - Getting water out of nooks and crannies? - I see people on youtube using air compressors for such things.

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    Are they petrol or electric compressors?
    Electric. They've two options.

Maybe they wouldn't do for the restore job, but I've a few tools already to use with my inlaws, and I figure could be a handy edition. But at the moment, it'd have to be the job for seating tubeless tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

fat bloke wrote:
    Are they petrol or electric compressors? Does anyone here use them for drying bikes? - Getting water out of nooks and crannies? - I see people on youtube using air compressors for such things.

I use my compressor to dry the bike, does a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

gman2k wrote: »
    I use my compressor to dry the bike, does a great job.

Yeah, I've gotten into a great habit of thoroughly washing the bike immediately after my saturday spin. The rest of the week is indoor rollers so it's nice to have the bike clean and humming for the indoor use. Drying it is a pain in this weather particularly though.

Advertisement