Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing an app idea

Options
  • 08-01-2020 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong section:

I've had what I believe to be a pretty sound idea for a service, based around an app, that might sort of generally resemble an Uber type format - matching customers with independent vendors to provide a service. It's not about transport in any way but it generally follows that format. My most sceptical and critical friends and family have reacted positively to my idea and this is encouraging me to try and see if there is something here. I'm currently unemployed and struggling badly to find work in my field so I'm considering dedicating some time to this to see if this is the opportunity I feel it is.

The trouble is, I'm not much into technology. I use computers and smart phones but my background is business and the commercial world. I have absolutely no idea where to start. I was hoping for some very high level advice about where this type of service might start from. The need I've identified is universal so this type of service might easily travel overseas or it might even be best launched elsewhere where there is higher population density. Things like copyrighting, territories, legalities and developing the actual app and anything I may not foresee are what I'm interested in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you researched similar services and or apps here and abroad?

That would be my first starting point.

YES one can make a success of honing and improving on existing services or apps with a better more well rounded customer product

BUT one can also fall into the trap of having the pull prospective customers away from established players . That means mega marketing budget

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aidan Harney

I was in a similar boat à few years ago but ran out of hope myself unfortunately.
    Where you might start off would be your nearest local enterprise office, outline the areas you need support and they'll line you up with a few sessions with a mentor who should be knowledgeable in that field. There's a small charge for that service but it represents good value for money.
    There's also, again through your LEO, 'start your own business course' options that will introduce you to a lot of the processes you should know.
    I've not given up on my ideas but haven't the money to outsource, nor the drive to learn to code and manage the technical side myself.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Go and have a chat with your local LEO. They should be able to provide input or access to EI if it's appropriate. You could also identify business incubation units and see if there are people there you can work with. I'd say getting a prototype is your best initial move.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

listermint wrote: »
    Have you researched similar services and or apps here and abroad?

That would be my first starting point.

YES one can make a success of honing and improving on existing services or apps with a better more well rounded customer product

BUT one can also fall into the trap of having the pull prospective customers away from established players . That means mega marketing budget

I can't find any evidence of a similar service anywhere, actually. My idea is kind of like originally proposing to pull customers away from calling expensive hackneys and literally using an app to identify nearby Uber drivers at a lower cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

cantdecide wrote: »
    My most sceptical and critical friends and family have reacted positively to my idea and this is encouraging me to try and see if there is something here.

Here's a good post for you - not saying your idea is not a good idea, just that it's a good checklist to gauge your own idea against to see where some of the challenges might be.

https://tapadoo.com/8-reasons-why-uber-for-tradespeople-is-not-a-good-app-idea/

cantdecide wrote: »
    I was hoping for some very high level advice about where this type of service might start from.

You're going to have to talk to lots of people. Which for some founders can be scary - fear of giving away the idea (in reality it's the execution not the idea that matters most).

Some ideas:

• As mentioned above the Local Enterprise Offices
    • First Fridays offer mentor slots - https://dogpatchlabs.com/first-fridays-for-startups/
    • There are numerous technology meet ups in Dublin where you might meet somebody who could be of assistance
    • and most important customers - talk to your prospective customers & vendors to see what they think of the idea
    My background is app development (not hands on) - happy to have a chat if you are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

Advertisement