Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix foreign film categories

Options
  • 07-01-2020 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hello, I haven't watched any of the subtitled movies from different countries on Netflix, any reccommendations? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Hello, I haven't watched any of the subtitled movies from different countries on Netflix, any reccommendations? Thanks

The Ip Man movies are very good. The Raid, both are action packed. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. I’ll check out my history tomorrow and see what else I’ve watched. Oh, The Night Comes for Us is brilliant, but extremely violent.

Not really on netflix, but if you can download parasite it's worth a watch..tokyo sonata too..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Netflix is a bit of a mess when it comes to world cinema, unfortunately - extremely scattershot and a lot of noise. A few recommendations from what is there:

Climax - probably the purest, most demented film Gaspar Noe has made. Not for the faint-hearted, but a pulsating trip to hell and back if you're in the mood for it.

Birds of Passage - a very different kind of crime / gangster film, this South American wonder is a poetic, strange, exciting and insightful look into an angle of the drug trade most films don't go near.

Atlantics - a rare dip into the serious arthouse space for Netflix, but this was definitely one of the best films of 2019 - slow but rewarding feature debut from French filmmaker Mati Diop.

A Chinese Odyssey (parts one and two) - bonkers, delightful pair of films that are half martial arts epic, half live action cartoon.

Roma - probably still the best original production Netflix has put its name to IMO, even with the rather impressive double whammy of The Irishman / Marriage Story.

Faces Places - one of the late, great Agnes Varda's most delightful films: an all-time great director thinking about her mortality, but having a lot of fun while doing so.

River's Edge - Netflix has been pumping some money into Japanese acquisitions recently, and this dark high school drama is probably the best one they've put out yet. There's also Sion Sono's Forest of Love which went very much under the radar - but if you've never seen a Sono film before, you might want to try something milder first :o

The Wailing - awesome, wild Korean horror film... although it's far too idiosyncratic to just settle on being scary alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Thanks everyone, yeah there's so many foreign films to watch I just didn't want to sit through garbage, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

I watched Atlantics tonight and really enjoyed it. A slow moving, haunting film set in Senegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement