Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

If we look back at the number of shots he should have saved and didn't against the number he shouldn't have saved and did i'm pretty sure we'll all agree he's come out on top by quite a margin. He's an absolute legend and the best keeper i've seen play.
    Whether he's the man for the no.1 jersey or not we'll see, i hope its an open competition and whoever gets it has earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

OAOB wrote: »
    If we look back at the number of shots he should have saved and didn't against the number he shouldn't have saved and did i'm pretty sure we'll all agree he's come out on top by quite a margin. He's an absolute legend and the best keeper i've seen play.
    Whether he's the man for the no.1 jersey or not we'll see, i hope its an open competition and whoever gets it has earned it.

Quite true and the last thing I wanted to do or turn this into was a slagging match against Brendan, he has been an absolute magnificant servant to Tipperary GAA for over 20 years, it was just the assertion that he made one mistake in all that time was a complete untruth.

BTW good folk of Tipp just happened to be in paddy power at lunch putting me darts bets on and noticed they have a special of 14/1 for Tipp to win their respective divisions in the National leagues, we are in Div 4 of the Football which we are warm favs for and in the hurling I really think Eamon O'Shea will be out to lay down a marker and the players will be chomping at the bit after the thing that cant be mentioned.... in short get on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

So you don't think that the goal Taggy scored last year was a mistake from Brendan?? The Cummins I know would have caught that shot in he's mouth if he so wished it was such a tame shot, father time waits for no man and it is only inevitable that at 38 the reflexes won't be as sharp as they once were.

O' Connor's stat is pre-2011 and probably 2010 - I want to dig more into it but there's little of it online. It was a mistake, he should have done better but I think Cummins severely underestimated it and as such it barely glanced off the hurl. My argument isn't that he's mistake free.

Cummins is only 37, not 38 and you're right the reflexes won't be as good but he had overall a good year. Seamus Callanan bets he'll get to 40 but that will be a difficult task.
    BTW good folk of Tipp just happened to be in paddy power at lunch putting me darts bets on and noticed they have a special of 14/1 for Tipp to win their respective divisions in the National leagues, we are in Div 4 of the Football which we are warm favs for and in the hurling I really think Eamon O'Shea will be out to lay down a marker and the players will be chomping at the bit after the thing that cant be mentioned.... in short get on!!

Hell of a price! Might stick something on for an interest at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Cummins is only 37, not 38 and you're right the reflexes won't be as good but he had overall a good year. Seamus Callanan bets he'll get to 40 but that will be a difficult task.

He will be 38 by the time the AI series comes around and lets face it baring a complete cluster**** we should at the very least be aiming for the last four, and I mean the very least.

Callanan would be better placed worrying about he's own form or lack thereof, I have been raving about this lad for the last 4 years and lads from other counties are starting to think I'm mad and have been winding them up, Seamie at this stage should be one of the first names on the teamsheet however as it stands he is well down the pecking order, he just hasn't developed as one would have hoped. What does give me a small bit of hope is he's performance from the bench in 2010 and he has always referred to Eamon O'Shea in glowing terms so a happy Callinan should be good news for Tipp.

He will be 38 by the time the AI series comes around and lets face it baring a complete cluster**** we should at the very least be aiming for the last four, and I mean the very least.

Callanan would be better placed worrying about he's own form or lack thereof, I have been raving about this lad for the last 4 years and lads from other counties are starting to think I'm mad and have been winding them up, Seamie at this stage should be one of the first names on the teamsheet however as it stands he is well down the pecking order, he just hasn't developed as one would have hoped. What does give me a small bit of hope is he's performance from the bench in 2010 and he has always referred to Eamon O'Shea in glowing terms so a happy Callinan should be good news for Tipp.

I agree with you 100% Callanan needs to up the ante work rate wise. The thing about O'Shea is he will receive instant feedback. He was dropped by management for the Offaly game in 2010 after poor performances against Wexford and Cork and that was a huge message to send to the panel.

There is an idea amongst Tipperary hurlers that they are entitled to All ireland medals but it doesn't work that way. We gave up our 'home of hurling title the last 45-50 years the very same way as the last Govt gave up Ireland's sovereignty.

As for Brendan being allegedly disliked, he may be disliked but he has their respectand thats the most important thing

• Advertisement

Tipp County Board announced a €25k increase in the deficit. Something badly needs to be done.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/tipp-board-urged-to-slash-costs-as-250000-loss-hits-home-217453.html

Tipp board urged to slash costs as €250,000 loss hits home

By Jackie Cahill

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Former Munster Council chairman Con Hogan has warned Tipperary GAA officials they must be "cold and ruthless" in their proposed cost-cutting measures in 2013, as one Premier County delegate warned of potential "financial ruin" at this week’s convention.

Tipperary’s 2012 financial statement revealed a massive €246,939 loss for the year and follows a deficit of almost €220,000 revealed a year previously.

In the last four years, Premier County top brass have revealed losses of over €650,000.

Hogan, a former GAA trustee and Tipperary’s representative on Croke Park’s Central Hearings Committee, expressed his disappointment with the financial statement.

Hogan said: "Last year, there was no comment whatsoever from convention on the accounts. This year, it was looking as if there wouldn’t be again, almost as if convention is happy to follow the pied piper of Hamelin over the financial hit. I know at first hand the efforts that the chairman, treasurer and secretary have made to try to reduce expenses but putting it bluntly, there will have to be more.

"There is no other way. We can’t walk in here again next year with a financial report like that. If we don’t do something about it, our creditors will. It’s as simple as that."

Hogan argued that projected income for next year must be in line with projected expenditure, and he called for a 10% reduction in expenditure overall.

He added: "Is there anyone in this room that can tell me that we can’t reduce by 10%? If we do, we’ll solve our deficit and that should be our objective, with a cold and if necessary, ruthless approach.

"I’m disappointed with sundry fundraising. I know the effort officers and others have made but it’s clear the reason why gate receipts (down by €26,170 in 2012) continue to decline. We have a bad product. There were 30 games up to the county final in this year’s championship — 15 were won by more than seven points, 12 by more than 10. I ask you, who is going to spend money going to games when they know the result before they go?"

Ballina delegate Michael Hayes, meanwhile, warned the county board is facing "financial ruin" if the trend continues. He said: "There’s a reason why income is falling — our product (county SHC) isn’t what it needs to be. But it can’t be done by five or six (officers) up there on their own. We need to tackle this on a broader basis and get clubs involved. We’re facing financial ruin if this continues."

Addressing delegates, county board chairman Sean Nugent conceded: "It’s not sustainable to continue along these lines — it has to be addressed. The most difficult problems that we have at county board level at the moment are reducing expenditure and raising finance. Serious attention will have to be given to that in the New Year."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Bring down prices for the games and they might get a few more in through the turnstiles.

tippspur wrote: »
    Bring down prices for the games and they might get a few more in through the turnstiles.

True but its more a case of having to restructuring the county championship first and foremost. As Con Hogan correctly pointed out you had 15 of the 30 games running up to the county final with 7 point+ margins and 12 of them were won by 10+ points and that just wouldn't entice anyone to go out and watch games.

They thought they would increase revenue by extending the county championship to 32 teams but in actual fact its had quite the opposite effect.

I would also look into the situation with the divisional boards. Do we need them at such scale, if at all?

They should look into maybe playing games on the road also, like a few league fixtures in Clonmel or Nenagh in both codes.

For example to open Semple Stadium of a Saturday night for the footballers to play in front of 300 people (maybe less) you are opening it at a loss when you take the cost of running flood lights into consideration. Even the hurling has had low attendances on occasion.

From a marketing point of view the online club shop is pretty terrible also. Has it ever been updated? Club jerseys should be more readily available also

Now fact is we could talk all day about what could be done but the men in charge at the other end have to be willing to listen and judging by the current state of the books it would seem listening may not be their strong point.

Under 21 A Hurling Semis this Sunday with final following Sunday. Being a south man myself id like to see our neighbours Killenaule do the business

Looking at some of the fixtures which are taking place this time of year surely to god the under 21 hurling championship could take place sooner in the year.

Also get this folks, we had a 'C' u21 hurling championship :rolleyes: consisting of two teams from South Tipp Grangemockler/Ballyneale and Father Sheehys. :D
    They went on to play 2 games against each other in a round robin group stage before contesting a south final and then a county final....You couldn't make this shít up...a complete clusterfúck.

To run an actual county championship with 2 teams is beyond bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Surely the days of having a league and then a championship which usually consists of 5-6 teams in a group and 4 going through also on a league basis or 2*4 team groups and 6 of them going through as is the case in most things nowadays has to stop.Lots of matches that mean nothing filling up the calendar with the finals always ending up being played off in the end of the year. If they want a league system in any championship then the top 2 is enough for a final from a group of 4-6,at least make the matches mean something if you want someone to go.

They went on to play 2 games against each other in a round robin group stage before contesting a south final and then a county final....You couldn't make this shít up...a complete clusterfúck.

They must have been best friends at the end of that one, having met each other so much! Who won that one?

They must have been best friends at the end of that one, having met each other so much! Who won that one?

They won one each in the round robin, then GM/BN took the South, but FRS 'reigned supreme' in the county final :rolleyes:

Surely to god both these teams could have played at B level or more teams from B could have dropped to form an all county C championship. I cant for the life of me fathom what lunatic sanctioned a C championship at both division and county level with just two teams.

EDIT: I must add the Davins were meant to be fielding a team at C level but pulled out for whatever reason probably common sense. The football counterpart had 4 teams all South Tipp

hawkwing wrote: »
    Surely the days of having a league and then a championship which usually consists of 5-6 teams in a group and 4 going through also on a league basis or 2*4 team groups and 6 of them going through as is the case in most things nowadays has to stop.Lots of matches that mean nothing filling up the calendar with the finals always ending up being played off in the end of the year. If they want a league system in any championship then the top 2 is enough for a final from a group of 4-6,at least make the matches mean something if you want someone to go.

I agree, the RR system is absolutely pointless and the county league which is further adding to fixture congestion isnt helping. The county and divisional boards should look at setting minimum and maximum participants in each competition at both divisional and county level. Too many cooks are spoiling the broth at this stage.

Yes delegation teams should be set up to focus on each geographical area or code but do we actually require a full board for each?? The only real counter argument against scrapping divisions seem to be that teams will have a lesser chance of winning something and fair enough maybe you could have south titles etc but they should run more separately to the county championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I would like to tribute to the late Pecker Dunne on this the Tipperary GAA website. Pecker who busked at all the big GAA matches in Thurles, just before the railway bridge on the Nenagh road was part of the great atmosphere on the big occasions. His wonderful presence and banjo playing was one of the reasons why many fans took that route to the stadium.

Thanks for the memories Pecker.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Found this article this morning. Young lad had a great game in u21B final last year scoring 1-5. Might be a coup for Borrisilleagh and could prove to be our 'Larry Tompkins'

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/hurling-blow-for-kildare-as-kenny-looks-set-to-make-tipp-transfer-3333166.html
    Hurling blow for Kildare as Kenny looks set to make Tipp transfer

Conor Kenny has lodged a club transfer

Hurling Home

By Colm Keys

Friday December 21 2012

Kildare are poised to lose one of the county's most talented young hurlers to Tipperary.
    Conor Kenny, match-winner when Kildare landed the Leinster U-21 'A' championship against Meath last July, is understood to be lodging a club transfer that will take him to Borris-Ileigh and enable him to play for Tipperary in 2013. Kenny's family has roots in Tipperary and the player is believed to be moving to the Premier County to live.
    The indications are that he will follow up with an inter-county transfer that would allow him to play with Tipperary at some level in 2013. That will disappoint followers of hurling in Kildare and Celbridge as he is one of their brightest talents. His father Philip won an All-Ireland club medal with Borris-Ileigh in 1987 when he was full-forward on the team that beat Rathnure.
    Kenny is still U-21 in 2013 and the feeling is that he would be well equipped to make Ken Hogan's Tipperary squad in that grade, if the opportunity arose.
    Kenny hurls for Celbridge and has been a regular fixture on the Kildare senior team in recent years.
    He was part of the Celbridge three-in-a-row team (2009-2011) in Kildare and is also one of the mainstays for Carlow IT, where he goes to college.
    His imminent move, if he follows through as expected with an in inter-county transfer, will be a blow to hurling in an emerging county who feel they can't do without a player of his calibre if they are to thrive in the small-ball game.
    Ironically, if Kenny does declare for Tipperary, it will be the reverse of some recent movements that have seen former Tipperary players John Enright and David Kennedy pitch in with the Lilywhites.
    Kenny scored 1-5 as Kildare lost the All-Ireland U-21 'B' final to Roscommon last September and is renowned as a prolific forward. He helped Kildare to a Division 2B title last April.
    - Colm Keys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Yeah been a big talking point on another gaa forum for the last few days, will have to wait and see what happens he could be a big assist for us in the u21's or maybe not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

He could be a good addition for Tipp.

Clonoulty v Sars in u21 final this Sunday. Sars beat Kilruane by 4 points in a tight affair where a 7 point swing the last ten minutes went in their favour while Clonoulty beat Killenaule 5-15 to 1-8.

Golden v Upperchurch in the B final. Upperchurch beat Kildangan by a point yesterday whereas Golden had beaten Skeheenarinky the weekend previous.

Happy xmas too all my contributors on this thread and a happy new year.

Echoing tipp_Gunner, happy Christmas all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

does anyone know if tipperary are playing sunday week in emly in a challenge/charity match?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

buggy beag wrote: »
    does anyone know if tipperary are playing sunday week in emly in a challenge/charity match?

Yep. Been meaning to post that here.

They are playing UCC on Sunday the 6th of Jan (not certain of the time though think its 2pm). Its a fundraiser for work they are doing on the primary school in the village.

Should be an interesting one if the day stays fine. Decent stand in Emly but field wont be the greatest if we get any more rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

nice one lad cant wait first game of da season luvly jubbly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Are Tipp seniors back training. Will Lar Corbett be available next yaer . Anyone in the know

wadacrack wrote: »
    Are Tipp seniors back training. Will Lar Corbett be available next yaer . Anyone in the know

AFAIK Lar is on the provisional 26 man panel along with Cummins, Eoin, Curran & John O'Brien. Bubbles and John Meagher also amongst the 26

Here is the panel
    New Tipperary manager Eamon O’Shea has announced his squad for the 2013 Allianz Hurling League campaign.

Any remaining doubts over the future of Tipp’s veteran stars such as Eoin Kelly, Lar Corbett and Brendan Cummins have been ended, with the trio, who were all part of the All-Ireland winning team back in 2001, included in the 26-man panel.

“Brendan Cummins is a role model, so is Eoin Kelly, players like that. (They are) really important players for Tipperary and I am really glad to have them and hope they are able to make some sort of contribution," O'Shea told GAA.ie at a press conference in Horse and Jockey last night.

The squad features a host of familiar faces, while O’Shea has added some new blood to the set-up with the selection of Loughmore Castleiney’s John Meagher and John O’Dwyer from Killenaule.

In addition, O’Shea has named nine extra players who will form an extended panel.

Last Men Standing
    Tipp's 2001 All-Ireland Winners

John O'Brien
    Lar Corbett
    Brendan Cummins
    Eoin Kelly

John O’Neill and John O’Keeffe, who were on the full squad last year, have been named in the extended panel, while former underage stars such as Jason Forde and his Kilruane MacDonaghs team-mate Séamus Hennessy have also been given the opportunity to impress by being named in the 35.

“The panel will be open and will always be open and that’s why when the club championships start, everybody will have a chance to play for Tipperary," O'Shea continued.

"We will be making sure that those who want to play, and know what it takes to play for Tipperary, get to play.”

Tipperary Panel 2013: B Cummins, D Gleeson, D Maher, P Stapleton, P Curran, M Cahill, J Meagher, T Stapleton, C O’Brien, C O’Mahony, Pádraic Maher, B Maher, J Woodlock, G Ryan, S McGrath, J Ryan, Patrick Maher, N McGrath, L Corbett, P Bourke, J O’Dwyer, E Kelly, S Callanan, S Bourke, J O’Brien, B O’Meara.

Extended Panel: S Curran, J Forde, T Hamill, T Hammersley, M Heffernan, S Hennessy, J O’Keeffe, J O’Neill, A Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

PremierView is in meltdown over there. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

What became of Gerry Kennedy lads? Is he still sub GK? He was a right good hurley that year Babs threw him in at the deep end but I havent heard of him since. Is he still involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

What became of Gerry Kennedy lads? Is he still sub GK? He was a right good hurley that year Babs threw him in at the deep end but I havent heard of him since. Is he still involved?

Last I saw of him he was playing corner forward for the club

• Advertisement

Last I saw of him he was playing corner forward for the club

He returned to goals last year for Killenaule due to Matt O'Donnells absence. Gerry had a super puck out but im not quite sure he would have become the custodian in the Cummins or Donal Og mould. Was a between 2 stools player

Advertisement