Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Baskets

Options
  • 23-07-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Is anyone else hanging baskets doing really bad this year.

mine started off strong and i had only Surfina in them hoping I would get a big ball of flowers, i seen my neighbours do this and it looked great.
    I water every 2 day depending on the weight of the basket , and when planting added granular fertiliser, for the last 2 months i use tomato food to give them a feed every 2 weeks. dead head what is needed.

They are at the front of the house and get sun from early morning until about midday and then are in shade mostly, the front of the house is North-east facing.

This problem seems to happen me every year to be honest, is there something i am doing or could it be direction house is facing? cross wind etc? the way i water, i always use the shower setting of the hose pipe and aim low centre of the basket.

my tomato plants also the leafs are all curling and they are not producing as much fruit as other years.

i think i am just cursed this year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

North-east would not be the best direction for surfina or similar annuals. Is your neighbour oriented the same way? Did you start them elsewhere or have they been in their current position from the start? They are better for being started in a somewhat sheltered but sunny situation until they are establised. You might do better if you planted up twice as many baskets and rotated them between front and back (ie, give them all a good dose of sunshine for a few days, then a few days out the front).

Are they planted in just compost? Once compost gets dry it is very difficult to wet it again so the water just runs off when you water them. I would use either a compost with John Innes or mix some good top soil through the compost. Are there drainage holes in the plastic liner? You need a few holes about an inch or so up the sides of the baskets.

The year has been a bit mixed for a lot of things though, the hot spell early then a relatively cold and windy spell was not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭phormium

I have mainly petunias in my hanging baskets too, now they were started off in a nice sheltered plastic tent thing and were fine and healthy when I eventually hung them up in mid May, they are on a North/West facing wall and only get sun late evening but it doesn't seem to bother them.

I water regularly and feed once a week, I have plastic large mineral bottles cut about a third of the way up and the top stuck into the middle of the basket so that when I water I just top up the bottle bit a couple of times, no water ends up on the actual flowers/leaves other than when it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

phormium wrote: »
    I have plastic large mineral bottles cut about a third of the way up and the top stuck into the middle of the basket so that when I water I just top up the bottle bit a couple of times, no water ends up on the actual flowers/leaves other than when it rains.

That's a very good idea.

My hanging basket of surfina aren't doing well either.
    The leaves are turning a yellowish green and some flowers are turning brown before they fully flower.
    I've been feeding them tomato feed and watering well etc.

That bottle idea is very good, I'm going to do that next year.

Mine were looking stunning before last night's torrential night of rain, feeling a bit sorry for themselves today but hopefully will come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭bmc58

mickward wrote: »
    Is anyone else hanging baskets doing really bad this year.

mine started off strong and i had only Surfina in them hoping I would get a big ball of flowers, i seen my neighbours do this and it looked great.
    I water every 2 day depending on the weight of the basket , and when planting added granular fertiliser, for the last 2 months i use tomato food to give them a feed every 2 weeks. dead head what is needed.

They are at the front of the house and get sun from early morning until about midday and then are in shade mostly, the front of the house is North-east facing.

This problem seems to happen me every year to be honest, is there something i am doing or could it be direction house is facing? cross wind etc? the way i water, i always use the shower setting of the hose pipe and aim low centre of the basket.

my tomato plants also the leafs are all curling and they are not producing as much fruit as other years.

i think i am just cursed this year!

Tops of my Tomato plants are curling also.I have a good few bunches of fruits growing but I think I may have got a touch of blight earlier this year.Conditions were not good for tomatoes this summer.

• Advertisement

Survived rain anyway :)

Advertisement