Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PE Teaching alternatives

Options
  • 31-12-2019 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Putting up this post for my son.

He knows he won't get the 500 points for PE teaching so he is wondering if he did a sports related level 8 degree in Ireland, could he then go and undertake 1 or 2 years study for PE teaching (Post Grad in the UK) which would make him eligible for registration with the Teaching Council as a PE teacher in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Tomjim wrote: »
    Putting up this post for my son.

He knows he won't get the 500 points for PE teaching so he is wondering if he did a sports related level 8 degree in Ireland, could he then go and undertake 1 or 2 years study for PE teaching (Post Grad in the UK) which would make him eligible for registration with the Teaching Council as a PE teacher in Ireland

I wouldn't put all my eggs in the basket of doing a postgraduate course in the uk due to brexit. The current system of using ECTs is based on a European standard that allows qualifications across the EU be recognised. Post Brexit, without some new agreement there may be no guarantee the teaching council would recognise british qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I wouldn't put all my eggs in the basket of doing a postgraduate course in the uk due to brexit. The current system of using ECTs is based on a European standard that allows qualifications across the EU be recognised. Post Brexit, without some new agreement there may be no guarantee the teaching council would recognise british qualifications.

Thanks

As it stands though will the teaching council recognise a level 8 sports related degree along with a uk post grad in pe for the purpose of registration for pe teaching in this country. And if they do what sports related courses are recognised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

No one including the teaching council can give you a definitive course that’s recognized by the teaching council. They only assess the degree when it comes to registration with them. I know a girl who qualified in the UK who was short swimming credits with the Irish teaching council even though swimming is rarely taught by Irish PE teachers. Would your son be safer doing a concurrent UK PE teaching degree instead? I wouldn’t worry about the ECTS as you you can just divide the UK credit system by 2 to get what it’s worth in ECTS. Did he apply to UCAS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Be careful.
    If he aims to get a PE job in Ireland he will need another teaching subject to give him any chance of employment, eg. Maths etc at a level recognised by our Teaching Council. The new arrival of PE as an exam subject will not lead to much of an increase in PE jobs.
    We are over-producing PE qualified teachers by a multiple.
    It is also desirable to have a second teaching subject for his future career. Professionally it is better to have two teaching subjects for a host of reasons.
    Unfortunately there are PE qualified teachers out there who have had to leave or completely change their jobs because of medical issues as they got older.
    You should contact the Teaching Council but don't hold your breath for a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I'm just wondering if the PE Course in Portebello would be of any use to him. (see link attached)
    https://www.portobelloinstitute.ie/booking/BScPhysicalEducationSportsScience-SPES-956/ 

I made contact with Portobello and they informed me that if he got their degree he would be eligible to enrol on a masters in UL which would allow him to qualify as a PE Teacher.
    I'm just wondering if the Teaching Council will recognise the Portobello degree and also would the Masters in UL allow him to teach a second subject and allow him to qualify as a PE teacher which would be recognised in Ireland

Has anyone any experience with this degree in Portobello

• Advertisement

The Masters in Limerick would focus on physical education and would not give him a second teaching subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

I think the Recreation and Leisure course in Tralee IT still can lead to a PE qualification, check it out.

solerina wrote: »
    I think the Recreation and Leisure course in Tralee IT still can lead to a PE qualification, check it out.

Be careful to distinguish between a teaching degree and a leisure mgt. qualification. The latter is essentially designed to enable graduates to manage recreation utilities, eg. swimming pools, recreation centres etc. etc. It does have lots of add ons in terms of first aid, manual handling.....
    However such a course was never designed as an approach road to teaching... I have known several young people who have been talked into such courses and then realising that they were as far away from a recognised teaching position as when they started.
    Nothing wrong with Leisure and Rec. Man. courses but not in the same ball park as a PE teaching qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Be careful to distinguish between a teaching degree and a leisure mgt. qualification. The latter is essentially designed to enable graduates to manage recreation utilities, eg. swimming pools, recreation centres etc. etc. It does have lots of add ons in terms of first aid, manual handling.....
    However such a course was never designed as an approach road to teaching... I have known several young people who have been talked into such courses and then realising that t hey were as far away for a recognised teaching position as when they started.
    Nothing wrong with Leisure and Rec. Man. courses but not in the same ball park as a PE teaching qualification.

The reason I mentioned it is that I know someone who did this course and is now a PE teacher, he worked with us up until last year, there is definitely a link between this course and PE teaching, I am just not positive of the route, I think it involves a masters in UL. It is not just a course to manage leisure centres

Advertisement