Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK's private school students are being "persecuted akin to the Jewish people"

2»

Comments

Well, if I were paying €40,000 per annum* in fees for my child's education I'd probably feel persecuted if some pleb had the temerity to say they should no longer have a privileged place in English society either. It's bad enough losing the right to send all the cadet branches to far flung corners of the Empire to lord it over the native savages, but losing that place at home in England over the English plebs? Enough is enough!

Approximately 85% of all Irish students, on the other hand, can legitimately claim to have been educated in private schools without paying fees at all. Let's all thank that private institution known as the Roman Catholic Church for that bragging right.

*Stowe's boarding fees are a comparatively small €14,500 per annum, which is close enough to the crèche fee per child per annum for many Irish parents so I'm decidedly unimpressed with this "elite" talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well with the loan systems students pay back the cost of their own education.

I’ve yet to hear of students from impoverished backgrounds qualifying for student loans, and those students who do manage to qualify for student loans often finish their education in deep debt with no means to pay back their loans.

UK student loan debt soars to more than £100bn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

No offence AB but it's a very dim simplification to assume the question of education boils down to who meets matriculation. It's about sending the right people to university. People who are the most academically gifted, not those who are simply pushed to passing GCSEs. The research states that private school students with the same grades as state school students won't be as academically confident when they get into university. So in other words from a scenario where we have two A scoring pupils, one state and one private, it would be better to pick the state school pupil.

Research? Sure, there are numerous studies with the same conclusion. Here's one of my favourite, a study from Cambridge uni which actually leads back to your original erroneous assumption about matriculation:

And here:

So I'm questioning the most academically able students are getting into university and you think I'm proving this lunatic's point about jews and the protocols of Zion?

Are you joking? Nearly half of Oxford's undergrads were from private schools. The same goes for a lot of the Russell group universities. Matriculation should be picking from the brighter students. It's not at the moment. The two-tier education system is masking true ability.

Or we could try a crazy idea and actually let the students in who are best able for the course. You might think they're owed a place because they paid money to school but most people don't.

As explained I dislike the two-tier system because it's not giving us an accurate representation of who the best students are.

Are you coming on to me?

I find that so hard to believe based on my experiences in an Irish university. The private school students were bursting with confidence, notably moreso than state schoolers. And did well too.

Being blunt, steddyeddy, you kinda have a chip on your shoulder about this topic and I’m not sure you approach the research objectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I find that so hard to believe based on my experiences in an Irish university. The private school students were bursting with confidence, notably moreso than state schoolers. And did well too.

Confidence doesn't equal ability. The best student in our group lacks confidence but she's the most capable. Confidence can be built. No offense either but "belief" doesn't really cut it.

[/quote]
    Being blunt, steddyeddy, you kinda have a chip on your shoulder about this topic and I’m not sure you approach the research objectively.[/quote]

Being equally blunt I think the ad hominem you often see in this debate highlights the weakness of the argument. Just like the headmaster who compared people who had a problem with it to the Nazis party. It's all to common in this debate and again, to be blunt I don't think you've added anything to it other than belief.

I might have missreprented my role in this debate earlier but I didn't conduct the research myself. To bow to elites for a minute it was Cambridge and Manchester university that did. You can read their work on the subject. You don't have to actually rely on my conclusions, your beliefs or an ad hominem in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I’ve yet to hear of students from impoverished backgrounds qualifying for student loans, and those students who do manage to qualify for student loans often finish their education in deep debt with no means to pay back their loans.

UK student loan debt soars to more than £100bn

Poor students do get help to go to university in the UK Jack. It's not ideal but it's getting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Poor students do get help to go to university in the UK Jack. It's not ideal but it's getting there.

They get help to get themselves in over their heads in debt so they can be told they’re just like everyone else now, and they’re somehow supposed to be appreciative of their privilege of being saddled with crippling debt, and then they become the target of that handful of people who make it their life’s mission to “challenge privilege”. It’s not ideal eddy, and it’s only going to get worse as more and more people are convinced to attend University where they feel they don’t belong, but they’re not given much of a choice as it’s expected of them and puts them under enormous pressure to be someone they’re not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Confidence doesn't equal ability. The best student in our group lacks confidence but she's the most capable. Confidence can be built. No offense either but "belief" doesn't really cut it.

Being equally blunt I think the ad hominem you often see in this debate highlights the weakness of the argument. Just like the headmaster who compared people who had a problem with it to the Nazis party. It's all to common in this debate and again, to be blunt I don't think you've added anything to it other than belief.

I might have missreprented my role in this debate earlier but I didn't conduct the research myself. To bow to elites for a minute it was Cambridge and Manchester university that did. You can read their work on the subject. You don't have to actually rely on my conclusions, your beliefs or an ad hominem in this regard.

Like I said, they also did well in addition to being confident. I found the private school college friends I had to be very accomplished. I read the report and it was interesting but did bring up many questions in my mind. Is the report taking in all the universities in the UK? Universities vary greatly in quality in the UK. There are a lot of them. The different between state school students who achieve all As at GCSE level getting good grades and private schooled students getting all As at GCSE level getting good degrees was quite close: something like 73% to 69%, wasn’t it? And again, which universities? I’d think more of a 1:1 or 2:1 from Oxford or, say, Bristol University than one from Thames Valley University. As well as that, what proportion of state school students are getting all As at GCSE and what proportion of private school students are?

You do have a long history of posting about this topic on boards and your view does see a little entrenched. In Ireland, where the college application process is anonymous and based solely on grades, private schools top the league tables for the percentages they send to college. There can be no accusations of direct bias there. I acknowledge that private schools here confer advantages on their students that help them prepare better for exams. And going to college is much more an expectation in private schools. The question isn’t “Are you going to college?”, it’s ”Which college are you going to?”. But the report you reference that shows that state school students do better at university does throw up questions, as I mentioned above. I’d like to see an analysis of each university in the UK because the quality of institutions varies so much.

And I say all this as somebody from a low income background who went to state school and who also a good college degree. I’m just interested in the data being interpreted properly and thoroughly.

Advertisement