Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2FM/Fanning sessions

Options
  • 18-04-2005 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Does anyone know if RTE are willing (or able) to release any of the 2FM/Fanning sessions?

Back in the late 1980s, it was explained to me (by Ian Wilson, no less!) that the sessions
    were effectively free: the band either got paid a fee for the day, or got the rights to the
    recordings and a stereo master of the session's mixdown (no multis - the old studio
    where the sessions were done didn't have its full complement of working tracks!)

If the band decided to take the money on the day, they could always get the rights back
    later, by buying them from RTE. That was usually done after the band got signed, or had
    made enough money gigging. Whatever choice the band made, RTE had a certain amount
    of time, and exclusive airplay rights, before the recordings could be used elsewhere.

Presumably they are still done this way (I haven't bothered to ask anyone I know who has
    done one in the last 5 years).

They used to crop up on B sides a lot, and older ones are probably on a few CD reissues,
    but if the BBC/Peel sessions could all be released separately, what's stopping RTE from
    releasing some sessions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

McGonagles wrote:
    Presumably they are still done this way (I haven't bothered to ask anyone I know who has
    done one in the last 5 years).

they were 2 years ago anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭whytek

McGonagles wrote: »
    what's stopping RTE from
    releasing some sessions?

um, that's a rhetorical question, right?

did you ever approach RTE about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jamjamjim

I done a fanning session about 10 years ago and as far as i was aware 2fm always owned the rights to them recordings but would sell them to you for what i think was £80 at the time,we were paid i think £250 but opted not to get the recordings, also as far as i know up to last year Ian Wilson was still involved with 2FM so maybe would be no harm to give them a ring and ask is it possible to get a copy of your recordings.

Advertisement