Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Billing, faults, etc

Options
  • 21-11-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭

It seems NTL (UPC) have brought in a new system. Whereas before you could pay your bill by keying in your account number, cc number etc, you now go on hold to a Customer Service Rep.

The same with faults; there is no longer a recording of areas that are experiencing faults. Again, you're put in a queue from the outset and left to hang on until a CSR gets to you.

A retrograde step, imo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Time to brush up on the letter writing skills.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I just rang them to downgrade some of my services, and they said I had to ring back on Thursday, there was absolutely nobody there who could help me and they were refusing to do any account changes for the next 3 days! how crazy is that? I said "eh, but I'll be billed for these services for the next 3 days even though I don't want them any more?".. "yes".

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Yes, NTL moved into their new call center on Friday. It's Limerick based and seems to be taking calls for both Chorus and NTL. I rang them to upgrade to Movies/Sports, and what an ordeal. Basically they are only talking calls as the system doesn't go live until tomorrow. The new teams are being trained up and it's obvious they are being coached as you can hear their mentor prompting them. They are unsure of what products the company offers yet alone how to deploy them. I was told I'd need an engineer out to upgrade to movies! I know it's only early days, but lets hope things improve!

I had to call them on Saturday morning. BBC News 24 had been off air since the night before.

I actually got through to a real person in under a minute! She apologised in advance, explaining it was the first day looking after Chorus & NTL together.

She was able to tell me that there were a couple of other calls re missing channels and she'd add my call to the list.

BBC News was back when I checked later on that day.

So I have to report a positive experience with the new call centre and it's staff.

Yes, NTL moved into their new call center on Friday. It's Limerick based and seems to be taking calls for both Chorus and NTL. I rang them to upgrade to Movies/Sports, and what an ordeal. Basically they are only talking calls as the system doesn't go live until tomorrow. The new teams are being trained up and it's obvious they are being coached as you can hear their mentor prompting them. They are unsure of what products the company offers yet alone how to deploy them. I was told I'd need an engineer out to upgrade to movies! I know it's only early days, but lets hope things improve!
    Okay I'm 9 days waiting for NTL to set up my sports and movie package. Over two days last week I spent some 3.5 hours waiting on hold for them. Sales tell me it's ordered and I've to contact customer care to find out if it's enabled. This new call center is ridiculous. Does NTL have a customer charter? Anyone know of any solid complaints process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I presume it is simply an old ex-Chorus call center in the ChorusPlex in old Krupps factory in Limerick at Roxborough. But I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

spockety wrote:
    I just rang them to downgrade some of my services, and they said I had to ring back on Thursday, there was absolutely nobody there who could help me and they were refusing to do any account changes for the next 3 days! how crazy is that? I said "eh, but I'll be billed for these services for the next 3 days even though I don't want them any more?".. "yes".

Christ.

I called them on Saturday to get them to downgrade my broadband to the basic package because I wasn't getting anywhere near the advertised speeds. After waiting on hold (I now detest Vivaldi and Bach) for over 3 hours, I finally got cut off. I called back and selected the sales/new accounts option instead of the support one, and got through to some guy who told me he'd put me back in the queue for the support line. Great. So after another 30 minutes waiting on hold, my mobile gave up the ghost and that was that.

This morning, I spent another 30 minutes waiting to speak to somebody in their account cancellation department. I can only imagine that this particular department is extremely busy at the moment.

I've cancelled all of my NTL services and will be getting Sky Digital hooked up sometime in the next couple of weeks, hopefully.

Dave

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I gave up ringing. I wanted to downgrade my broadband, get rid of movies and sport, and downgrade to Go Digital Select.

Sent two emails to customer.support@ntl.ie and they did it by email after 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭SteM

My box is hanging when I change to the premplus channel and there's a game starting in half an hour :(

I've been hold for the last 30 minutes and can't see me getting through in time for them to do anything about it. We're getting our first house in January and I'm defo off to Sky, NTLs customer service has gotten WORSE and I wouldn't have thought that would have been possible 3 months ago.

SteM wrote:
    I've been hold for the last 30 minutes and can't see me getting through in time for them to do anything about it. We're getting our first house in January and I'm defo off to Sky, NTLs customer service has gotten WORSE and I wouldn't have thought that would have been possible 3 months ago.

This is pretty amazing, I really hope someone from the new UPC is reading this. It's virtually impossible to get through to the NTL call center. When you do they either hang up or are under trained and pass the buck. I wonder what SKYs customer care is like in comparison?

• Advertisement

This is pretty amazing, I really hope someone from the new UPC is reading this. It's virtually impossible to get through to the NTL call center. When you do they either hang up or are under trained and pass the buck.

That's exactly what happens, they either keep hanging up or there's something very wrong with their phone system because I've been cut off a few times now.

Also, this new thing of having no 'general problem in xxx location' message is just stupid. It's common sense! Surely if there are 50 people ringing to report a fault to them then that's 50 people that would be off their phone system once they hear the message? This just blocks the phone system for other people who need help and have to wait 45 minutes to get through to a rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Sorry it's so long winded but I have had unreal trouble with NTL the past month and a half. I moved house on the 1st of November and decided to bring the NTL digital and broadband with me. Big mistake!
    I rang them the day we moved to see what we had to do. I was told just plug everything in in the new house and it will work. I had no problems with the tv but the broadband didn't come on.Anyway to cut a long story short I have called them every few days since then only to be told someone would call back or come out to the house within 24 hours but with no sign of it actually happening. As if this wasn't irritating enough I was on hold every time for anything between 10 and 40 minutes before either reaching a CSR or being cut off.
    Eventually 2 weeks ago i cracked and rang demanding to speak to a supervisor or someone who could tell me what was going on. They told me that they don't deal with complaints or service problems...honestly what kind of a customer helpline is it?????
    Last week i had just had enough of arranging to be at home for this mysterious tecnician and rang to tell them I no longer wanted their broadband service as they were not upholding their end of the contract. The CSR assured me that in my next bill i would be credited for the services lost and my broadband contract cancelled.
    Lo and behold but what should land on my mat this morning but a bill from ntl including broadband for the next 2 months. I actually broke down in tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

My folks just got a new format bill, outlining their new stragegy:
    A few things caught my eye (and pi$$ed me off by adding insult to injury). As well as the €1.50 (7.5%) per month increase, they:
    1) They whack you with a €7.68 charge if you're late paying your bill
    2) From April 2007, if you *don't* sign up to pay by DD, they stick you for another €2 per bill. Is this even legal?? As far as I can see, it discriminates those customers who don't have a bank account. Personally, I pay by online banking, but it's when *I* choose the money to go out. Forcing someone to sign up to pay by DD (well, penalising those who don't) must surely be anti competitive? I'm going to post in the consumer forum too, see if anyone there knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Just been down to my parents house and they have been sent that new billing format. It is a disgrace. They got the bill today Dec 20th and if it's not paid by Dec 21st they will be charged €7.68!! Plus the €2 per payment if you don't sign up for direct debit, are they trying to run customers over to Sky? My oul fellah rang today and spoke to a complete moron who didn't know why they were now charging for TV AND Radio. Radio has been available for over 30 years on your cable TV, why they mntion it now, I don't know, possibly to justify their increase. Just try ringing them to get any info or report a fault. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

I got this new billing thing too and I am furious over it. I tried ringing them to complain (knew it would be futile) but was on hold for 20 minutes before giving up. So I tried the following:

1) I rang Comreg who said they are not responsible for NTL. Tried to end the conversation. However, I had already looked up their website and they said they will “pass on” complaints. So, I mention this to the woman on the phone who then snaps, “We’re getting hundreds of these calls and we can’t deal with the numbers. I’ll put you through to our consumer section.” So, I get put through. They won’t deal with it because it’s NTL and because I have no formal proof that I have registered a complaint with NTL. I have to register a letter and get a Track and Trace number. Once the letter has been delivered NTL has 10 days to respond. If they don’t do that Comreg will ask why they didn’t but that is it. They have no power to do anything further. They said ring the National Consumer Agency.

2) So I rang the National Consumer Agency who said they are not dealing with the issue because they don’t have enough information. What does that even mean?? I was GIVING them the information but it made no difference. They gave me the number for the Department of Communications.

3) I rang the Department. The woman on the switch sounded like she was about to cry if she got one more call about NTL. Eventually she put me through to the Minister’s office where I made a formal complaint. However, I was told as NTL is a private company, there is little or nothing the Minister can do.

Long story short, it would now appear that NTL can do whatever they like and no Regulator or Government Department has responsibility or authority over them. Which I know is absolute rubbish. What are we supposed to do? This is simply appalling! Effectively, NTL are raising charges on their customers just becasue they can. Dreadful.

They got the bill today Dec 20th and if it's not paid by Dec 21st they will be charged €7.68!!

I also got my bill yesterday and was to have it paid by today! I paid online last night with BOI 365online but I doubt it will arrive by today! Can't wait to see if I'm charged :rolleyes:

BendiBus wrote:
    I also got my bill yesterday and was to have it paid by today! I paid online last night with BOI 365online but I doubt it will arrive by today! Can't wait to see if I'm charged :rolleyes:

You should absolutely refuse to pay any fee for late payment this month. I certainly would if I only was only given 1 or 2 days to pay a bill that had been issued 14 days ago. Surely NTL can see that the post is effected at this time of year and will waive any late payment fees that incurred this time around? Or am I giving them too much credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

If you give a good reason they always remove the late payment. I have never actually had to pay it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

bronn wrote:
    I got this new billing thing too and I am furious over it. I tried ringing them to complain (knew it would be futile) but was on hold for 20 minutes before giving up. So I tried the following:

1) I rang Comreg who said they are not responsible for NTL. Tried to end the conversation. However, I had already looked up their website and they said they will “pass on” complaints.
    From Comreg's website:
    Our remit covers all kinds of transmission networks including:

Traditional telephone wire
    Traditional television and radio
    Cable
    Radio Communications including fixed wireless
    MMDS and deflector operators providing TV services
    Mobile operators providing voice and data services
    Licensing Framework for Satellite Services in Ireland
    Postal delivery network

If they don't know what they're responsible for, I despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Indeed Cable is no longer regulated apart from content by BCI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

watty wrote:
    Indeed Cable is no longer regulated apart from content by BCI.

:mad: This f**king country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

bronn wrote:
    Effectively, NTL are raising charges on their customers just becasue they can. Dreadful.

Welcome to Boards Bonn.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but businesses do it every day. They all raise prices. When have you ever heard of a pub lowering their prices? They don't give you any added benefit by doing so. Everybody kicks and screams but they still go to the pub.

Sky also raise their prices without any real benifit to their [Irish] customers. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Sky recently increased their prices for various packages. UPC had to increase those packages too or make a loss. Blame Sky for that one, not UPC.

Fair point on the other charges, late payment, DD payments etc. No call for it. Quite a few companies do a similar DD scheme but they REDUCE the price for DD customers with the saving that DD brings, rather than increase it for the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gman10

Hi,

My father-in-law wrote to the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs about the whole charging you €2 to pay your bill from April... their official response was while they have already expressed their "disapproval" to NTL about this practice, there is nothing against the law about it so they are advising unhappy customers to shop around. They are also talking to NTL about the levels of complaints they are getting about the customer service - if you have a complaint, it might be worth dropping them a line.

They also advised that if you do want to change to another provider, make sure to notify NTL in writing 30 days in advance and be sure to tell them why you are changing. Maybe if enough people go to change, they might reconsider (I wouldn't hold my breath!). Personally, I'm looking at Magnet, although one of their customer service reps advised that they had some sort of problem with multi-room service when I rang just before Christmas. Still, they've a fab broadband service bundled so I might go ahead anyways.

You have to love the state of our customer protection legislation when a company can charge you €2 per bill for the privilege of paying it on time... :confused:

G-Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I have just cancelled with them.

Dreadful behaviour.

Redman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

im thinking of cancelling but not sure what to do about BB and TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

I know it's not what you want to hear, but businesses do it every day. They all raise prices. - IrishTLR
    I know they do – God, don’t we all! :) I didn’t phrase my anger clearly enough. What I meant was NTL are raising the equivalent of bank charges on their customers and getting away with it. Look at it this way; it seems every other bill I get from NTL includes a “notified price increase as approved by Santa” or whoever approves NTL’s prices these days. The actual cost of the service gets higher and higher every year, outstripping the rise in inflation. Fine.

This next bit gets a bit tricky but do bear with me. It’ll be you paying the money in the end. Now we have NTL sticking an extra €2 onto the bill if you don’t set up Direct Debit. However, I bet it’s actually MORE than €2. We won’t know this until April but I bet VAT @ 21% will be added on. So your bill will look something like this:

1) Go Digital Max Pack = €52
    2) Non Direct Debit fee = €2
    3) Total (ex-VAT) due = €54
    4) VAT @ 21% = €11.34
    5) TOTAL DUE = €65.34
    6) PS - Cough up losers and there’s €7.68 (ex-VAT) on your next bill if you’re late.

This is typical and I got into a serious row with Eircom about this VAT thing ages ago. They introduced a fee and added a total ex-VAT. The way it’ll work with NTL is like this;

Their non Direct Debit fee of €2 actually costs you €2.42 (€2 + 21% VAT).

Now, let’s say we, the customers, decide en masse that NTL can swing before they force us to pay the €2. Rightfully, you should deduct €2.42 from your total of €64.34 and you pay NTL €61.92.

NTL does nothing until you get your next bill which will now look something like this.

1) Go Digital Max Pack = €52
    2) Non Direct Debit fee = €2
    3) Amount outstanding = €2.42 [note this amount already includes VAT]
    4) Total (ex-VAT) due = €56.42
    5) VAT @ 21% = €11.85 [includes VAT on the VAT in step 3]
    6) TOTAL DUE = €68.27

Having gone through this with Eircom, I can assure you that this VAT on VAT thing is nothing short of gansterism. They will tell you, straight out, that they do NOT charge VAT on VAT. It will take infinite patience to take them through a bill and show ‘em. I’m willing to bet NTL will start the same thing.

However, my first big issue is not paying that €2 fee. They can sod right off before I give them access to my bank account to charge what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

How do sky manage? Do they charge extra for non DD.

If they don't need €2 extra, then NTL don't either.

US stores charge extra for CC payments, but AFAIK that's illegal over here. How come NTL can get away with charges for payment options?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

My parents NTL was cut off for two weeks- they eventually got through and waited around all day for the repair guy to show up.

They rang again the next day after no show and were given a new appointment. Again no show.

They told me and I rang up the main office looking for the complaints department, screamed blue murder at the girl on reception and even offered personally to comedown to "talk" to them. I was put thorough to a manager - was polite but firm - everything was sorted out within 2 hours.

RIng up the main office and make things difficult for the managers you find things sorted out pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

so if i want to cancel my cable and broadband, i just write to them? my contract for the broadband isnt up until august... would i be breaking the contract?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I just found NTL's most recent bill and inserts really nasty and I'm now expecting sharp practice from them.

The late fee is ridiculous and I strongly resent the idea of paying an extra fee for not paying by DD.

On top of that there's a snotty line about how non payment within X days will result in your service being disconnected / a reconnection fee of XX.

So, as far as I'm concerned they can take their cable and ....

I'm moving to Magnet Entertainment package (IPTV) and will give them a go for the 6 month minimum period at the least. Can't be any worse than NTL and they sound rather more customer-centric.

NTL really aren't in a position to be so nasty to customers, they'll loose them hand over fist to Sky Digital in particular now that C4's in the EPG in particular.

Have they learned nothing from the Irish Multichannel/Chorus experience?!!?!

Cable really has no advantages in terms of channel line ups and the NTL digital reception I'm getting is lousey too. Regular pixilation and it seems that they're squeezing the hell out of the bandwidth too. The pictures don't look anywhere near as good as sky digital.

Advertisement