Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,244 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

OmegaGene wrote: »
    people need to remember Arteta is being briefed on how to handle the media, hes not shooting from the hip and i think he handled the press quite well it what must be a very difficult situation for him

Reading what Underground has quoted from Arteta it seemed like he was reading from a script prepared by Stan himself. Time to be his own man.
    It was refreshing to see Pep and Klopp coming out with their own views and not backing up the hierarchy.
    I know Arteta is not long in the job and I don’t want him out but he needs to man up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Saying that he spoke to Vinai who was really transparent and clear with him (despite having blindsided him with this whole thing) doesn't really tally. Also to say that KSE have the right intentions to protect the club now and into the future. That's a bizarre takeaway to communicate to the fans given the events of the last few days.

"As always, when we need something or something is happening, they are straightaway ready to act, to give the answers that they can do. To give us the support that they can do. And they’ve done it again."

"This is what they said, they apologised for disturbing the team and for not having the capacity and the ability to communicate in a different way earlier. They explained the reasons why and I passed on the message to the players. That’s all you can ask for. The way they’ve done it, I have to accept it."

This above is nothing short of pathetic imo. The verbal equivalent to shrugging one's shoulders. Oh they asked you to pass the message on to the players did they? That's grand, that's totally healthy.

"But I know the people who work in the organisation. First, they are very caring for the interests of the football club and second, they are very intelligent and professional people. So I’m sure that they had the right reasons to start something, but it clearly didn’t work or it wasn’t the right time or it wasn’t done in the right way."

Vomit inducing.

"I can talk from my experience as a player, a captain and now as a manager. We have always had great communication and full support from the ownership, which goes down to every member of the football club".

Well that great communication certainly hasn't extended to the fans in the duration of the KSE stewardship.

He was far, far more pro KSE than he needed to be today. This week has drawn a very clear division between owners and fans, and he probably should have sided with the fans more here.

Like I said, I didn't expect him to come out and slate them, nobody is going to do that to their employer in a public sphere. I'd hoped he would not be a complete weakling though, and unfortunately I was disappointed.

:D:D Long time since I laughed at anything relating to Arsenal, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah come on Mikel.

I'll back you to manage the team, but don't endorse this bunch of liars. That's pretty shameful.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ah come on Mikel.

I'll back you to manage the team, but don't endorse this bunch of liars. That's pretty shameful.

What exactly is he supposed to say? They are his employers at the end of the day, he handled it perfectly IMO, impossible position for him and just like the fans and the players it completely out of his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

Pogue eile wrote: »
    What exactly is he supposed to say? They are his employers at the end of the day, he handled it perfectly IMO, impossible position for him and just like the fans and the players it completely out of his hands.

You're far more tolerant and patient than I am, good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

You didn't answer the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I realise Arteta has to say certain things but that press conference was ridiculous. He’s a puppet and is also completely deluded. He thought we played well against Fulham ffs. He also said we have great communication and full support from the ownership, f*ck off. As long as Kroenke is here we’re going nowhere.

You didn't answer the question.

As in what is he supposed to say?

How about not waxing lyrical about how great, proactive and invested our absentee owners are? Just a thought...

I wouldn't say tolerant and patient at all, simply not completely unrealistic and disconnected from reality more like.

• Advertisement

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I realise Arteta has to say certain things but that press conference was ridiculous. He’s a puppet and is also completely deluded. He thought we played well against Fulham ffs. He also said we have great communication and full support from the ownership, f*ck off. As long as Kroenke is here we’re going nowhere.

I think we all agree with the bolded part and that's a given, however this is the hand that Arteta has been dealt and anyone expecting a rookie manager, who is already coming under pressure to publicly slate his employer is beyond deluded.

I am far more concerned over what's said off camera and in the dressing room, couldn't give a toss what is said in a scripted interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Fans forum just about to start. Vinai and Josh gonna get a grilling hopefully from the supporters club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Reading what Underground has quoted from Arteta it seemed like he was reading from a script prepared by Stan himself. Time to be his own man.
    It was refreshing to see Pep and Klopp coming out with their own views and not backing up the hierarchy.
    I know Arteta is not long in the job and I don’t want him out but he needs to man up.

Not singling you out or anything Tayto, a few have said similar, but I don’t understand where sentiments like this stem from. Comparing how Arteta handles these situations as opposed to heavyweights like Pep & Klopp. They can say whatever they see fit. Both are in the game long enough and have won multiple trophies at other clubs as well as the ones they’re at now. Both have also been at their clubs long enough that nobody would be surprised if they moved in the next year or two. Arteta is still learning his trade and only in the door. The last thing he wants to do is rock the boat

Well, they are not especially supportive and don't give a f*ck what happens on the pitch, and everybody can see that.

So saying the are always ready to help is just not true and not credible.

L'prof wrote: »
    Not singling you out or anything Tayto, a few have said similar, but I don’t understand where sentiments like this stem from. Comparing how Arteta handles these situations as opposed to heavyweights like Pep & Klopp. They can say whatever they see fit. Both are in the game long enough and have won multiple trophies at other clubs as well as the ones they’re at now. Both have also been at their clubs long enough that nobody would be surprised if they moved in the next year or two. Arteta is still learning his trade and only in the door. The last thing he wants to do is rock the boat

Ah come on. Do you really think they're gonna sack him if he says something that isn't how great they are? They couldn't be arsed looking for a replacement, they don't care.

I wouldn't say tolerant and patient at all, simply not completely unrealistic and disconnected from reality more like.
    I think we all agree with the bolded part and that's a given, however this is the hand that Arteta has been dealt and anyone expecting a rookie manager, who is already coming under pressure to publicly slate his employer is beyond deluded.

You seem to be characterising my position as if I expected Arteta to slate KSE publicly when I said two or three times that obviously I don't expect him to do that. This isn't WWE.

My point is he went very much above and beyond in his praise of them today which, given the past week, is a really bad read of the room.

Also would add, there would be a lot to read between the lines had he simply not said the gushing cr*p about KSE. Has anyone from the other clubs come out with such a defense of their owners in the last week? Genuine question, maybe they have.

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »

I didn’t expect him to come out and say “Kronke is a ****” or anything strong but coming out with the party line is very weak indeed. He could have said how surprised and shocked himself and the players were at the news of the Super League but no he came out and praised the owners. Timid and weak imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

adaminho wrote: »

Proper corporate language from Josh Kroenke, talking and saying nothing. . .

Peter Hill-Wood (Former Arsenal Chairman) - 18th April, 2007.

“Call me old-fashioned but we don’t need Kroenke’s money and we don’t want his sort. Our objective is to keep Arsenal English, albeit with a lot of foreign players. I don’t know for certain if Kroenke will mount a hostile takeover for our club but we shall resist it with all our might. We are all being seduced that the Americans will ride into town with pots of cash for new players. It simply isn’t the case. They only see an opportunity to make money. They know absolutely nothing about our football and we don’t want these types involved.”

Kroenke is like Hill-Wood on steroids. No ambition whatsoever, just wants to collect his profits. You will note that Peter had a change of heart with regards to Stanley a couple of months after and welcomed him onto the board with open arms

Hill-Woods comment, to begin with, was very idiotic and out of touch but he had a habit of that. The club was listed on the Plus market and the shares became available, so he as chairman should well know that there was potential for foreign investment when the shares were available to buy on the stock market. Ironically the other board members sold off huge chunks to Kroenke so he didnt even have the backing of his own board.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Proper corporate language from Josh Kroenke, talking and saying nothing. . .

It's meaningless. Everything he has ever said in any of his statement yokes is meaningless.

Like that absolute falsehood about it being their plan to make us compete for the Champions League. Zero evidence of that. Just meaningless words.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭x PyRo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Reality is there could be sanctions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Absolute dickhead

You would swear that we were rushed into joining this Superleague :rolleyes: These arrogant people think we are fools. This league was in planning with years. These guys planned the murder with years, but they are trying to claim it was sudden and in self-defence... Do me a favour!

Sad thing is, our effort against Prague the other night could all be undone due to suits.

GET THEM OUT!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He's dead right though. If the ESL was going ahead, and Arsenal were invited. 100% I would rather be part of it that not part of it.

Quazzie wrote: »
    He's dead right though. If the ESL was going ahead, and Arsenal were invited. 100% I would rather be part of it that not part of it.

Exactly. It also doesn't matter if Kroenke or someone else owned us, we'd be in the same position.

The whole thing gets nothing more than a shrug of the shoulders out of me. Reading the reaction of people here will probably end up getting me worked up eventually, though :p

Quazzie wrote: »

Not a f*cking hope. The ESL goes against EVERYTHING football SHOULD stand for.

Call me naive or whatever, but I hate the way everything has to be turned for a profit these days.

Arsenal are dead.

The ONLY thing they have in common with the team from 30 Years ago is the name.
    Different crest
    Different stadium
    Different league
    Different owners.

It's Triggers broom. We replaced the brush and the handle, how is it still the same broom?

I've lost all respect for anyone who continues to support these 12 teams after this.

My support is gone until we replace the owners with a supporter owned majority.

Call me naive or whatever, but I hate the way everything has to be turned for a profit these days.

Arsenal are dead.

Different crest
    Different stadium
    Different league
    Different owners.

It's Triggers broom. We replaced the brush and the handle, how is it still the same broom?

I've lost all respect for anyone who continues to support these 12 teams after this.

Are you going to follow any sports going forward?

Arsenal are dead.

Different crest
    Different stadium
    Different league
    Different owners.

If I replace ESL with the Premier League your post still reads the same. While I am on the record as saying that this was a terrible idea/concept and that if it went ahead I would have no interest in supporting Arsenal anymore. I simply don't understand this sudden outrage about money, greed etc. when it has been seeping through the game for over 20 years now. It is almost as inexplicable and ironic as Gary Neville - the full time employee of SKY fcukin Sports - taking about greed, money grabs and monopolies and fans becoming secondary. I mean you couldn't make that sh*t up!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This would be the biggest upside to winning the Europa League this year.

money corrupts and changes everything and football has been a multi billion pound industry for a long time and it is best to accept that fact and just enjoy the game, if sky wasnt pumping millions into it and then charging people to watch the game it would be totally different.
    one thing that made me laugh in the humour thread was a spurs fan protesting for enic out and he had a bag of gear from the club shop, paddy power spotted it and i may have shared it with a few spurs fans i still know from london

While we're on the subject of cancers in the game, betting company leeches, particularly the one you mentioned, can also go f*ck themselves and p*ss off back to their horse racing.

Arsenal are dead.

Different crest
    Different stadium
    Different league
    Different owners.

Mostly agree, but there is one thing they have in common with 30 years ago. Fans like a bunch of us here.

Which, actually, makes us the Triggers, I suppose.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    While we're on the subject of cancers in the game, betting company leeches, particularly the one you mentioned, can also go f*ck themselves and p*ss off back to their horse racing.

Far more money gambled on football than any other sport, in fact horse racing isn't even in the top 3.

Far more money gambled on football than any other sport, in fact horse racing isn't even in the top 3.

Yeah. Leeches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

If I replace ESL with the Premier League your post still reads the same. While I am on the record as saying that this was a terrible idea/concept and that if it went ahead I would have no interest in supporting Arsenal anymore. I simply don't understand this sudden outrage about money, greed etc. when it has been seeping through the game for over 20 years now. It is almost as inexplicable and ironic as Gary Neville - the full time employee of SKY fcukin Sports - taking about greed, money grabs and monopolies and fans becoming secondary. I mean you couldn't make that sh*t up!

I agree on the money/greed aspect, I think it's naive to think otherwise.

The reason that I am not fond of the Super League set-up is that I see it as a glorified friendly tournament. The team that wins it gets the most money and the bragging rights and the team that finishes last in their group gets some less money and that's it. There is no excitement at all - if, say, Arsenal finishes last, there are no repercussions. Someone mentioned earlier in thread that it is an opportunity for the Kroenkes to invest - but will they? I'm not convinced they will, I think that they will take the money and use them in other ventures.

Not to say of course that the current model is ideal, but I like the competitiveness of it. I watched Leicester vs West Brom and it was a great game to watch as a neutral - mainly because I would like to see Leicester in Champions League (in the expense of say, Liverpool) and I want to see West Brom relegated (because of Big Sam). I'm not fully convinced that I would get the same level of excitement from every single Super League match.

Anyway, doesn't matter anymore.
    On current news, big game against Everton tonight. If we beat them we go ahead of them temporarily in the league - not that it matters anyway.
    I am a bit undecided on who I want as the main striker with both Auba and Laca out. Martinelli has been tried there in the past but didn't seem to work for him, because he doesn't have the space. I don't rate Nketiah at all, but maybe he is the better option for now. I guess it will depend on whether Odegaard will be available, if he is we could have ESR on the left and Martinelli upfront

Irish Aris wrote: »
    The reason that I am not fond of the Super League set-up is that I see it as a glorified friendly tournament.

Anyway, doesn't matter anymore.

Just on the two pieces above.

I think that the flaw or at least one of many - is that familiarity dilutes any sport. The beauty of big European ties is the special occasion aspect of it and if it just becomes the norm then its lost forever - I am reminded of the old Irish seanfhocail - 'And rud is annamh is iontach'

On the second point, I don't agree - these fcukers will try again and again - it may be in a different form but they will try to grab the bigger slice of the pie and turn European football into their cash cow.

Seems that some lads are content that our owners were going to dump every other club outside of the six right in the mire by weakening the Premiership.
    And all for greed too.
    I didn’t always agree with Wenger but he’s right on this.
    Arsene Wenger slams European Super League plans - 'I tried for my whole life to keep unity in the game'
    "I don't know what's going on [at Arsenal]. That doesn't change what I think. For me the most important thing is I tried for my whole life to keep unity in the game, and that football is played the same all over the world, and that it's inside one organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

I don't agree with people just saying it's the same as Sky/BT/Uefa there is always a breaking point for every uprise. Don't have to accept the same **** forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭omega man

UEFA, the PL and Sky TV have done a Keyser Söze on the ESL and many have fallen hook line and sinker for it. John Barnes comments summed it up nicely as far as I’m concerned.

http://https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european-super-league-john-barnes-b1835364.html%3famp

Kroenke is like Hill-Wood on steroids. No ambition whatsoever, just wants to collect his profits. You will note that Peter had a change of heart with regards to Stanley a couple of months after and welcomed him onto the board with open arms

Hill-Woods comment, to begin with, was very idiotic and out of touch but he had a habit of that. The club was listed on the Plus market and the shares became available, so he as chairman should well know that there was potential for foreign investment when the shares were available to buy on the stock market. Ironically the other board members sold off huge chunks to Kroenke so he didnt even have the backing of his own board.

Bracewell-Smith is mainly to blame for where we are now, as majority shareholder alongside Hill Wood, she blocked Usmanov and sold her shares to Kroenke

jack wilshere is rumoured to be joining the protestors this evening

There’s a lot of steps around the stadium, he’d want to be careful not to fall and injure himself.

jack wilshere is rumoured to be joining the protestors this evening

Give him a Elneny's shirt. That's what I say.

Barnes is spot on. It's only about exploiting us all.

Will I follow any other sports? Do you ask someone whose dog died, are you getting another one? Before they even buried the old one? FFS.

This was my wake up call. Not everyone has a problem with what's going on. Fair enough. I feel like I've literally wasted time supporting Arsenal since Kroenke took over. Now I've given up, I feel like I have been exploited.

I woke up and I'm looking at the emperors new clothes.

• Advertisement

Will I follow any other sports? Do you ask someone whose dog died, are you getting another one? Before they even buried the old one? FFS.

This was my wake up call. Not everyone has a problem with what's going on. Fair enough. I feel like I've literally wasted time supporting Arsenal since Kroenke took over. Now I've given up, I feel like I have been exploited.

Kronke = underhand and sneaky dealings. Make more money and let the little clubs have the crumbs.
    I could never be happy with that. The man’s name should never be mentioned in the same breath as sport. It’s all about money and profits for those lads. Shame on them and anyone who supports this underhand stuff.

omega man wrote: »
    There’s a lot of steps around the stadium, he’d want to be careful not to fall and injure himself.

He’s one of our own. Fair play to him and Wright.

LOL!

I'm not a dog lover by any stretch of the imagination, but that analogy is just ridiculous. I follow multiple sports, and would have absolutely no problem replacing football, or removing it completely.

I'm just shocked at the reaction some people are having to this stuff.

Strong, not sure about the distancing tho

https://twitter.com/AlfWoonton96/status/1385647884620677127?s=19

He’s one of our own. Fair play to him and Wright.

I like Jack. It was a joke, albeit a bad one!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement