Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

buying a rubbish bin for the kitchen

Options
  • 11-10-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a new bin for the kitchen.
    The one I have is old and grey and plastic.
    I was looking for something that keeps the smells in, maybe metal
    My God, the prices!!
    A steel rectangle, but mainly cylindrical, costs more that €60.
    A sixty litre touch top bin costs €140.
    Designer bloody bins?? Are they mad??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

My Husband wanted to get the Brabantia large bin. At the time is cost 120 euro and I thought he was bonkers even though it had a 10 year warranty. We have the bin 11 years now and not a single issue with it. Highly recommended! Very rarely does it smell and if you buy a cheap plastic one you probably have to replace at least once a year anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Another vote for Brabantia!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If it is to last a year or two, any cheap bin will do.

If you want it to last a few years and more, brabantia or simple human.

Slight cosmetic scratch - £67 Superb bin though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/simplehuman-Rectangular-Touch-Bar-Bin-Fingerprint-Proof/dp/B0081HFD88

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

it's a bit of shaped metal, probably costs 3 Euro to make in some automated factory in China and because it lasts forever, I have to pay as if I was renting it.
    I most likely will spend the money, despite my complaining.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

One of the biggest costs is the size.

It takes space up in the container from China, space in the warehouse, space in the delivery truck and space in the retailer. All that costs money and I would suspect it's a fair whack.

The cheaper plastic bins can be inserted into each other and so can the lids, so space of 2 metal bins can probably take 15-20 plastic ones.

A guess would say 1,000-1,200 in a container, circa £3,000 transport factory to uk warehouse. There's €3-€3.50 for the bulk delivery.

But keeping herself happy is priceless :D

• Advertisement

Small bin is best. Because you are forced to take the bag out every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    it's a bit of shaped metal, probably costs 3 Euro to make in some automated factory in China and because it lasts forever, I have to pay as if I was renting it.
    I most likely will spend the money, despite my complaining.:)

Would agree with others and say go Brabantia they're a solid bin and they last forever. But check Donedeal & Adverts, I got my 60L Brabantia on there for 50 euro 10 years back and its still as good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

I bought a Klarstein branded one from Berlin a few weeks ago from an online website for €220 although;
    I now wish I had gotten off the sofa to measure before purchasing as it's a bit small for our house in the sense that there are five occupants,
    I can't return it as my wife took it out of the box on the day that the waste recycle wheelie bin was going,

Link: https://www.hifi-tower.ie/Home-Living/Kitchen-Appliances/Kitchen-utensils-gadgets/Rubbish-Bin-Box/Ordnungshueter-3-Rubbish-Bins-Waste-Separator-45L-3-x-15-L-Creme-Beige-45-Ltr.html?listtype=search&searchparam=Bin

Hopefully pass it on to my mother sometime when restrictions ease; she's 70 and lives alone; so the 15 Litre capacity per bin would suit fine and it's wall mountable which will save her having to bend down to open the lid or when removing the bags.

Hopefully it will fit through the hole to my attic for temperary storage as she lives 297km away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Curver are another good brand, also Dutch, for that sort of thing. We have one with three compartments for normal rubbish, recycling and compostables and it's still going strong after probably 15 years.

Buy cheap, buy often as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I keep forgetting to look in Dunnes to see if there are cylindrical rubbish bags for the shiny steel bin I bought.
    All Lidl have are rectangular ones with handles.
    Do ones without handles exist? I can tuck them under the top of the bin then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I keep forgetting to look in Dunnes to see if there are cylindrical rubbish bags for the shiny steel bin I bought.
    All Lidl have are rectangular ones with handles.
    Do ones without handles exist? I can tuck them under the top of the bin then.

I think there a Killeen brand of white bags with yellow draw strings which are integrated to the rim of the bag, no handles then,
    I find it difficult to get good sandwich bags these days, or maybe it's me that needs to cut back on the sandwich fillings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

:eek: Ye're all mad, the lot of ye!

Except LornezoB, maybe.
    Small bin is best. Because you are forced to take the bag out every day!

In this house, the main kitchen bin is a cream cheese pot that came free with 1kg of cream cheese. :pac: It's got a frozen chips bag in it as a bin liner (came free with the chips). But it doesn't get emptied every day - more like once a month. Everything with smell-potential goes in the garden.

Advertisement