Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to reduce ring size ?

Options
  • 30-09-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭

I bought a ring online for someone for a special birthday, the stone is beautiful but turns out the ring itself is ridiculously thin, like I've never seen anything so thin, we are talking thin as 10 strands of hair together.

As it's so very thin it's also looser than you'd expect for the stated size by at least 1 size.
    I doubt it could be reduced by a jeweller but is there any other solution that might work for a very very thin ring?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Could you get the setting reset onto a thicker ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

What metal and gemstones are in the ring? Depending on the materials, possibly it could be resized by a goldsmith.

One possibility is to get a little band that clips into the back of the shank, reducing the inner diameter. I don't know how secure these really are and I would not use one on a ring of any value. Better to just resize and have peace of mind!

Or you can get little balls stuck inside the back of the shank. I've seen this for people with arthritis, gets the ring over the knuckle but then isn't too loose at the base of the finger. Could be soldered or lasered in.

Or can you return the ring if it's not what you thought you were buying? You could have a similar ring made locally with a decent shank in it.

Advertisement